Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Time to arrive at the airport

(52 Posts)
grannysue05 Sat 15-Jul-17 13:28:12

Next Saturday I am going on holiday to Cyprus with DS and grandchildren. We will fly from Manchester Airport.
I am used to being at the airport in good time i.e. two hours before (even with online check-in).
This means that I don't feel rushed and if there is a huge queue at security, there is no last minute panics.
DS says that we will arrive sixty minutes before flight when all the rush is over, and we will sail through!
Does anyone else do this last minute stuff?

W11girl Thu 20-Jul-17 08:00:25

I always arrive well in advance wherever I go and carry a book with me to avoid any kind of stress. There is no way I am going run through my life stressing because "I'm just on time"!

PamelaJ1 Thu 20-Jul-17 06:42:48

Can't be bothered to panic. We are always in good time.
That is apart from once when our transport was late picking us up from the hotel in HK.
We were bundled through immigration and had to run to the furthest gate. I'm sure it was about a mile! When we got on the plane everyone looked at us in disapproval. We plonked down and started to move. Horrible, and I was desperate for the loo!

maddy629 Thu 20-Jul-17 05:55:43

I used Luton in June, the place was packed but luckily we checked in on line, long queues to get through security but they are very efficient and we got through quite quickly. My husband forgot to put his toiletries in a plastic bag and the woman dealing with us even went and found him one,a nice thing to do, I thought.
I personally don't think 1 hour is enough time and would never leave less than 2 hours at any airport.Have a lovely holiday.

Diddy1 Wed 19-Jul-17 18:50:18

I am always hours too early, but rather that than rushing in a panic. Last week I flew from Manchester, I actually arrived two hours before bagage drop opened, I had checked in on line, everything went well, but then they checked ALL hand luggage, so it was twenty minutes before they went through my hand luggage, I still had plenty of time to people watch, before my flight, but was quite relaxed and enjoyed everything, I would hate to be on the last minute and like last week, have to wait for luggage to be checked, my advice, always be early! Try to persuade your GS to be a bit earlier.Have a lovely time.

leeds22 Wed 19-Jul-17 18:13:38

We often fly from Manchester and think the security is horrible. Give yourself plenty of time. Much prefer Leed Bradford!

FlorenceFlower Wed 19-Jul-17 17:42:18

I have got to the airport ridiculously early ever since missing a plane because of a train problem.

People who leave late for the airport and then expect to be shepherded through security, etc, pushing their way to the front, past people who have allowed plenty of time to do the whole queuing, security, passport showing, etc, are really extremely irritating!

Have a lovely holiday, whatever time you leave for the airport. ?

Disgruntled Wed 19-Jul-17 15:58:45

Oooh, I went to the Isle of Man in March, from Manchester. I felt fairly blase because it was "only" the IoM, but even so I like to get there early. I think the advice was 30 minutes and I allowed an hour - horrendous! I only had hand luggage but the queues were so long that the flight was boarding when I was in the XRay Dept and I RAN to the Gate, hearing my name being called (!!!) No-one else at the Gate and they had to ring through to see if I would be allowed on! Luckily the pilot allowed me on and I ran across the tarmac and up the steps, feeling very foolish and embarrassed.

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Jul-17 15:36:22

But if you only fly once a year is it worth it?

We have booked it at HKIA but not at Heathrow.

Tessa101 Wed 19-Jul-17 15:25:11

Yes my family always check in online and do the 60 minute thing and it's always been fine with no issues. Don't panic it will be ok.

Daisydoo2 Wed 19-Jul-17 14:35:25

Definitely leave plenty of time. Last flight back from Alicante was such a near miss. We dropped the car off which took ages, the security was backed up to the hilt and we had to run for the flight and were last to board - and we had left early to give ourselves a spare hour! I would rather sit and have a relaxing coffee in the airport than that... oh and it was stifling hot.

RAF Wed 19-Jul-17 14:21:55

I'm with Glamanana, the Executive Lounge is the way to go! With a Priority Pass it works out about £15 per visit if you use 10 a year, and you would easily spend that on a meal in the terminal. Hot and cold buffet supplied, wine, beer, hot drinks all free, showers if you need them, free fast wifi, newspapers, TV, what's not to like. And it has finally stopped the arguments on when to get to the airport!

Caramac Wed 19-Jul-17 14:19:40

I think all the waiting around ,(possibly after a 2 hour drive to the airport) is why I've never flown and probably never will. Travel time is wasted to me but hanging around for hours in an airport sounds like hell. Sorry - no help to you at all

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Jul-17 12:51:14

I suppose it depends if you are using planes like the rest of us may use buses, short-haul, frequently and without much luggage.

We will be staggering along with several cases and allowing plenty of time!

Lindajane Wed 19-Jul-17 12:45:05

Depends if you have luggage to check in. I'd never leave just 60 mins, even in my small local Leeds Bradford airport. My anxiety levels would be through the roof!

Belleringer Wed 19-Jul-17 11:59:00

We always allow plenty of time, but on our last trip to Gatwick my husband needed the loo and couldn't wait even though we were nearly there. By the time we got out of the services there were 4 lanes of standing traffic - there had been an accident a bit further on. We were sitting in the car watching the minutes ticking by and the planes taking off and nothing we could do about it. Luckily we did get there in time but it was a big panic and I was very glad we hadn't timed the trip to the last minute!

HootyMcOwlface Wed 19-Jul-17 11:29:01

We don't travel anymore, but when we did I always liked to get there nice and early. Much more relaxing being able to sit with a coffee and have time to browse the shops. One of the best bits of the holiday for me, the journey there and the feeling of anticipation!

Also you can never rely on roads being clear - once sat in a huge traffic jam and missed our ferry because of it! Watched it sailing out as we drove into the terminal! Learned my lesson!

lilihu Wed 19-Jul-17 11:20:55

I've used Manchester many times. Timings for getting through everything have been varied and unpredictable! Arrive later, horrendous queues and delays, arrive really early and sail through. Next time the reverse!
The key triggers for possible delays are; school holidays, weekends, especially Saturdays and security alerts.
Sometimes people who travel out of peak times aren't aware of what it can be like on a July/August Saturday. Especially from a major airport. The airlines recommend their optimum time so that 2 hours will cover extra security checks, random problems, changes of departure gate etc etc. If you cut it down to an hour you could be fine or not depending what happens on the day.

Granpammy Wed 19-Jul-17 11:00:29

I would much prefer to allow plenty of time, to keep anxiety at bay. Unfortunately my partner cannot bear waiting around so tries to cut it fine. This usually leads to arguments and upset. Haven't found a way round it yet!

GrandmasueUK Wed 19-Jul-17 10:55:19

I've travelled from Manchester airport three times this year and each time has been different. The first was horrendous. We were there two and a half hours before departure, but the security queue was so long that the plane was boarding as we finally got through! The second time it was very quick. Last time was just enough time for me to get my breath back before walking the length of the airport (or so it seemed) to the gate. None of the flights were on a Saturday - the first one of the school holidays as well! Coming back the longest time was waiting at passport control in Manchester. This was a week ago. Somehow I got caught up in the middle of a plane load of young German men, who were all head and shoulders above little me! Everyone had to use the desks instead of the automated ones for e-passports. We had to go through 18 of those wind-y rows like sheep. grin

Sheilasue Wed 19-Jul-17 10:47:04

Oh no always there earlier can't bare being rushed. Like to mooch around duty free, buy paper, books have breakfast if it's an early flight, really enjoy being in the airport early.

wilygran Wed 19-Jul-17 10:33:53

Don't know about Manchester but fly regularly from Gatwick and it is busy every day of the week nowadays and unbelievable at school holiday weekends, even though security queues have improved considerably and are very well organised. My husband is like your son, used to fly a lot for work & regularly got to airport an hour before, but not any more. Even he can see it's very chancy nowadays! Have a great time!?

TriciaF Wed 19-Jul-17 08:47:09

Thanks Granarchist - I'll have to warn son that I might be delayed because I'm a slow walker.
I'm not returning from Luton, but from Gatwick and I'm used to the situation there.

Lillie Wed 19-Jul-17 07:59:52

Timed it .... arrived at airport 7.38 am, passed ticket through scanner, went through security, now waiting to board. .... 20 minutes exactly!

Granarchist Mon 17-Jul-17 18:26:44

TriciaF I fly in and out of Luton about 15-20 times a year - arrivals always means a hideous walk so if you have mobility problems at all be prepared. They have improved the border checks hugely and the automatic gates seem to be working well now. Luggage (I rarely travel with it) arrives pretty quickly. If you are returning via Luton leave a good hour and a half to get through increased security. Seating has been reduced in the departures area and it is appallingly crowded. However if you can check ahead which gate you might be leaving from then there is a bar/bistro by the old gates (1-5) which is always deserted. It does mean you risk a 20 minutes walk if they then send you out of gate 25 in the new wing.

Getting to the airport is better from the M1 but is dreadfully delayed on the last run in from the final roundabout. Do not leave the minimum time to get there - it is not worth missing your flight. Pret has good coffee and snacks.

farview Mon 17-Jul-17 17:57:50

Always get there (Manchester) at least 2hrs before...even though we pay for fast track through security.....