Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What the heck is biting me?

(64 Posts)
tanith Fri 21-Jul-17 12:37:56

Over the last 4 days I've been bitten numerous times and blimey they don't half itch grin. We have no animals and wooden floors everywhere, first I thought it was in the garden it was happening then I got bitten on my ankle and elbow at night so stripped and hoovered the bed just in case only to find more bites this lunch time on my leg and other arm.
We've hoovered the whole house but I'm at a loss as to what the heck is finding me so tasty, oh! and OH is bite free just to add insult to injury grin
Be glad of any advice ladies as I now have nearly a dozen itchy bites.

tanith Mon 24-Jul-17 21:23:08

Lots of advice thanks I've got no new bites thank goodness.

Jalima1108 Mon 24-Jul-17 21:19:08

I use Savlon sometimes after the itching has gone but it doesn't stop the itch.

Candelle Mon 24-Jul-17 20:54:22

Many thanks, J52. We have visited Sorrento and I don't remember being bitten, so I am sure you're right!

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

J52 Mon 24-Jul-17 09:19:22

Candelle, Sorrento is full of swallows flying around eating all the airborne mosquitoes. We didn't get bitten at all.

loopyloo Mon 24-Jul-17 08:52:11

I would put savlon on the bites. I get my legs bitten gardening so I wear long trousers now not cropped ones . Best of luck.

Candelle Mon 24-Jul-17 01:37:38

I have tried the Skin So Soft, eating copious amounts of Marmite and taking garlic capsules (all supposed to work) but well, they didn't for me.

I would still give each of these a go if you have not tried them - they may well work for you - I think I am just a hopeless case.

Any suggestions re. the best (i.e. as few bities as possible) European holiday resorts? Thanks.

Itsnotsobad Sun 23-Jul-17 19:19:19

I get bitten every summer, mostiquito, gnats, horse flies. They itch alot and swell into blisters, it's a warm or hot summer and they'll almost be waiting at the back door for me to go out in the garden. Spraying with insect repellent helps and Eurax Hc helps with the bad bites.

MamaCaz Sun 23-Jul-17 18:50:31

Tanith I don't suppose your bites are on bits of the body where you have tight clothing when in the garden, are they (sockline; knickerline, both leg and waist; bra-line and straps etc.)? I get badly bitten by harvest mites (mentioned earlier by Tricia) at this time of year. The bites are almost all in those areas, or in other cosy intimate places such as under my breasts! Does that ring any bells with you?

I spent 2 years trying to work out what was biting me, and to this day, eight years from when it first started, have still never spotted the culprit, and treated the whole house and the beds before my research on the internet led me to the conclusion that it is harvest mites. The bites usually appear the day after I have been gardening, but by changing my clothes as soon as I have finished gardening has drastically reduced the number of bites I get.

Jalima1108 Sun 23-Jul-17 18:12:03

DH rarely gets bitten.
There used to be a pond where our garden is now, apparently. I'm sure this could be a traditional breeding ground as I see them hovering around outside the back window - just waiting for me to venture out.

I must order some Skin so Soft, thanks for the reminders.
And Eumovate too, I used that years ago.

The worst bite I had was when we were camping in France - so avoid camping in Western France

justwokeup Sun 23-Jul-17 18:08:09

Our workplace once had to be fumigated as there was a fox den underneath it (old building) and the fleas were coming through the floorboards to have a munch of everyone who worked there. Hedgehogs are also well known hosts. Maybe you have 'visitors' under the house?

W11girl Sun 23-Jul-17 17:59:52

I was cutting my ivy one year and my arms were covered in bites. Apparently it was from fleas in the ivy! I always wait until it rains before I cut any plants in my garden now and have not been bitten since.

DeeWBW Sun 23-Jul-17 15:42:27

One thing that living is Spain for eleven years has taught me is that flies bite. Yes, flies. I always have lots of bites on my ankles and yes, they itch like Hell. Iam64 suggested Avon Skin So Soft, which I did once read the soldiers in Iraq were using to protect themselves from mosquito bites. Watch when a fly lands on your skin and give it a minute. It might not happen evey time but you may have a bite, which swells up with a very wide red circle around it. I tend to put Eurax on them, as this can lessen the irritation, once you've been bitten.

I hope this helps.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 23-Jul-17 15:36:00

Sounds like mosquito bites to me. Has anyone by you got a pond or an open water butt? My son used to get bitten to death by mosquitoes - our next door neighbour had a big pond, I blamed that!

Anya Sun 23-Jul-17 15:17:18

I'm now itching all over just reading this - and I'm one of those nasty tasting lucky people who never gets bitten.

LAINEANN Sun 23-Jul-17 14:31:40

I am suffering too. Had a hip replacement postponed in June as I had an inflamed bite on my leg, apparently the infection could have spread to the new hip. Am now due again in 3 weeks and am scared to even venture into the garden. Have had screens put on the bedroom window so I can have windows open in the night. Slathering myself in all sorts of creams/repellants & squirting the whole house with bug spray every night. 1 can of Raid used to last about 6 years!

elfies Sun 23-Jul-17 14:27:00

Midges seem to like diabetics too . I presume the blood is sweeter :-(

Esspee Sun 23-Jul-17 14:16:12

If you are having difficulty sleeping because of the itching Phenergan is an anti histamine which works wonders.

TriciaF Sun 23-Jul-17 14:06:51

I know this sounds horrible, but what I do with most itchy bites is prick the centre with a (sterilised) pin. Then try to squeeze out the poison. Dab with antiseptic.
Onctose hydrocortisone cream is good too.

Gaggi3 Sun 23-Jul-17 14:03:26

I take an antihistamine once a day to reduce the effect of insect bites. It seems to help and was recommended by GP.

tigger Sun 23-Jul-17 13:54:27

Don't know what's biting you but like the first response you received Avon Skin so Soft is the answer. Our troops use it abroad, we don't know what's in it that bugs and things hate but it works.

mummychicks Sun 23-Jul-17 13:34:46

Iv had the same problem this week. The bites itch so much that i could rip flesh when i scratch. I spoke to my pharmacist and he said they were mosquito bites. Iv only been in my garden in this country so was a bit supprised. It does make sense though as iv been sitting in the garden on the hot evenings and the bites look the same as the mosquito bites i had in Turkey a few years back. Im always the insects favorite meal. He gave me Eumovate cream which has a steroid in it. Its really helped although 5 days on they still itch at night. Iv been putting ice packs on when it gets to bad

J52 Sun 23-Jul-17 13:30:36

I read that Vic vapour rub, on the ankles and wrists deters biting insects. I have used it while in a midge area and was bite free. You only use a little slick around the ankles and wrists so it doesn't smell much to humans!

mags1234 Sun 23-Jul-17 13:27:18

Is there a pharmacy near you? Lloyds and Boods let u see the pharmacist in a private wee room. They will look and give u sound advice in confidence

win Sun 23-Jul-17 13:07:24

I have just read Starlily's post this is exactly like I get.

win Sun 23-Jul-17 13:04:41

I get bites all year round that itch and very often get infected to the extend that I have to have antibiotics. Anything and everything bite me. I have had tests for years by a Dermatologist and we have been through the following reasons

Cat's flees (we got rid of the cats, still got bites)

Dye in tights (washed all tights before wearing, still bites)

Citrus fruits (stopped for 3 months still got bites)

Ants, flies, bed bugs, or any other creepy crawly Betnovate recommended at night and masses of moisturiser in the day. This definitely helps, but still bites.

Sun reaction, same cure as above and plenty of sun protection, still bites)

I now get prescribed a 5 days course of prednisolone when I am really bad, which clears them up at the time, but then it starts all over again.

Stop scratching only cure but almost impossible and I also use an antihistamine cream and Calamine lotions on new bites, which helps. I cover bad ones up with plasters so I cannot scratch at night.

Hope any of this might help