Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hybrid cars. Pros, cons, recommendations?

(10 Posts)
Kupari45 Mon 24-Jul-17 17:07:26

WE have an electric Car. Its a Renault ZOE. Had it for 3 years and has never let us down. WE charge it over night and usually average 85-90 miles, depending on temperature.
Its ideal for us, as most of our journeys are maximum 35 miles around North Yorkshire.
We keep our ancient Estate Car in garage just for going on holidays in UK.

Welshwife Sun 23-Jul-17 10:11:59

'Free' motoring of course!

Welshwife Sun 23-Jul-17 10:11:14

DS in the US had a GM Volt for a couple of years - it is just so unbelievable quiet! We could not tell when the engine started up to charge the battery - if he only used it for work and back it was totally fee motoring as he charged it at work on solar powered charging stations - they had a system where if their car needed charging they left the flap open and when anyone went down to take their car off the charging station they plugged another car in!
The interior design is such that it looked like you were driving in a space vehicle - when he first got it he had to give rides to all DGSs friends!

Juliette Sun 23-Jul-17 09:30:41

DH has had a Toyota Auris hybrid for six weeks, he's finding it very economical, especially as it's zero tax.
Plenty of room for passengers and 'stuff' in the estate version.
Would recommend says DH who is sitting next to me as I type ?

Tizliz Sat 22-Jul-17 16:12:18

The Which? Car report is just out, it is a good read - according to OH

kittylester Sat 22-Jul-17 12:20:50

Thanks all. DH has done some research but there's nothing like other people's opinions.

Teetime Sat 22-Jul-17 10:31:36

We had one of the first one a Honda something or other and it was wonderful really enjoyed it. There is another something or the other round the corner that DH admires when we walk past - when he returns from Bowls I'll ask for his considered recommendations - he spends a lot of time researching cars and our is due for a change next year so he is probably up to speed.

goose1964 Sat 22-Jul-17 10:26:11

My Dad has a Toyota Yaris, it's really nice and he gets great mileage, scared me witless the first time the engine switched to battery

Welshwife Fri 21-Jul-17 14:03:49

As far as I know there are two types of electric cars - the hybrids where once the battery has run down the car is powered by the engine and the second type is always powered by the battery - when it runs down the engine only recharges the battery.

At one time only GM made the second type of car -so it would be Vauxhall or Opel in. Europe. However Tesla have recently entered the market and they may have a different type.

DS recently had a trip in a driverless car when on a business trip to San Francisco - when I asked how he liked it he replied that -well we didn't knock anyone down!!

kittylester Fri 21-Jul-17 13:47:15

Dh currently drives an IQ which is too small when he does his volunteer driving.

The IQ was a brilliant car when he was working but now, when he is taking passengers, he takes my car which is bigger. That is usually fine but the IQ hasn't enough room for grandchildren especially the ones needing car seats.

So, we are looking for a four door, midsized car and wondered about a hybrid - with the hope that it will 'see us out'!

Any advice please, thank you.