Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christening outfit

(19 Posts)
twiglet77 Sat 29-Jul-17 23:00:37

Thank you all for the reassurance. Now I can stop fretting and look for a nice top with a pattern that won't show the inevitable dribbles (from DGS, I hasten to add)!

Iam64 Sat 29-Jul-17 22:05:13

Linen trousers and a top sound ideal. Something washable because hopefully you'll get to cuddle your grandchild at some stage. Enjoy the day. Christenings seem less formal, more fun and celebratory these days

MawBroon Sat 29-Jul-17 21:27:57

I would think a hat or fascinator would look very overdressed. Is it part of the regular service? Few people dress up to go to church these days (except the royals) so I think what you have in mind sounds ideal.
But no hat!!

Jalima1108 Sat 29-Jul-17 21:17:16

Do you have a nice jacket which could pull it all together? I wouldn't bother with a hat.

Jalima1108 Sat 29-Jul-17 21:16:27

Yes, some jewellery and makeup (if you normally wear some) and nice hair!

I don't like wearing skirts and usually end up changing into a pair of trousers.

Claudiaclaws Sat 29-Jul-17 21:15:16

Christenings seem to be much less formal these days.
Wear something you are comfortable in, Maybe a nice necklace and earings as well.

Jalima1108 Sat 29-Jul-17 21:07:50

It would be better to wear trousers and a pretty top, cover the bits you are not happy about and feel smart and comfortable than wear something you think could be 'appropriate' and feel uncomfortable all day.

People do wear all kinds of clothes to church these days, as long as you wear something you feel good in that is fine.

And something washable .....

mammabear Sat 29-Jul-17 20:59:37

Darling grandson was christened in October. There was a variety of outfits from dresses to trousers and tops. Dont men have it so easy, roll out the suit and tie and good to go.

Your suggested outfit sounds great, be comfortable and enjoy the service and occasion.

Devorgilla Sat 29-Jul-17 20:32:20

Your outfit sounds ideal. Go and enjoy.

Christinefrance Sat 29-Jul-17 18:08:14

Your outfit sounds perfect twiglet attractive and comfortable. Christenings are not as formal as weddings so no hat needed in my opinion. Enjoy the day.

Norah Sat 29-Jul-17 17:11:24

Linen trousers would be appropriate and comfortable. Have a lovely time.

PoshGran Sat 29-Jul-17 16:32:01

Some years ago I was "caught out" when, after sitting holding my godson for the many photos at his christening, I was finally able to give baby back to his mum, who was mortified to see the huge dark wet patch on my skirt front from where he had peed lustily almost at the beginning of the photo session! (Fortunately I had a change of clothes with me. I didn't & neither did anyone else mind that I was wearing scruffy old jeans)

So, to answer your post twiglet, be comfortable in your clothes on your DGS day - they can be long celebrations, but beware, you might be on the "receiving end" of all sorts of things!
Have fun smile

Coolgran65 Sat 29-Jul-17 16:18:44

Oooops.... sorrty for double posting
How I wish there was a 5 minute window to edit or delete.

Coolgran65 Sat 29-Jul-17 16:17:40

Linen trousers and pretty top - sounds perfect smile
A dress is'nt obligatory but if you'd like to wear a dress then maxi is fine.

I don't think the op grandmother thinks for one moment that she would be the centre of attention, I think she is just uncertain about what to wear and is seeking a little reassurance. Bearing in mind that she hasn't been to a Christening since her own children were babies.

Twiglet - have a lovely day - you will look and feel just right. flowers

Coolgran65 Sat 29-Jul-17 16:15:12

Linen trousers and pretty top - sounds perfect smile
A dress is'nt obligatory but if you'd like to wear a dress then maxi is fine.

I don't think the op grandmother thinks for one moment that she would be the centre of attention, I think she is just uncertain about what to wear and is seeking a little reassurance. Bearing in mind that she hasn't been to a Christening since her own children were babies.

Twiglet - have a lovely day - you will look and feel just right. flowers

M0nica Sat 29-Jul-17 15:53:00

It is the baby that is the centre of interest at a christening, not the guests, not even the grandmother. Nobody will notice what you are wearing. Wear clothes you are comfortable in and can cuddle a baby in.

Ilovecheese Sat 29-Jul-17 15:06:37

Linen trousers and pretty top sounds fine. It is not a wedding, so should be less formal.

Penstemmon Sat 29-Jul-17 14:14:57

Sound perfectly acceptable to me!

If you believe in God then you should not be worried at all about clothes as I understand that God is welcoming of all people in any state of dress.

If , however you are worried about offending your family ..only you know what they will think! If they love you, as I am sure they do, they won't mind a jot either. Dress to please yourself and enjoy the celebration wine

twiglet77 Sat 29-Jul-17 14:07:38

Is it acceptable to wear linen trousers and a pretty top to the forthcoming christening of my DGS or is a dress obligatory (and headwear - a fascinator, perhaps)? If a dress, would a maxi be ok? First christening since mine were babies, I don't know what people wear these days.

I absolutely dread social events and dressing up. I'm grey, 60s, apple shaped, size 16 top, size 14 bottoms, grotty feet so no open toe shoes, grotty legs with veins that need to stay covered.

All advice welcomed!