Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To feel absolutely disgusted by this?

(110 Posts)
phoenix Wed 02-Aug-17 18:38:04

The totally obscene amount of money involved in moving someone who kicks a ball from one team of ball kickers to another?

That amount of money could possibly change the lives of many people in third world countries, provide clean water projects, schools, etc.

I am practically incandescent!

buster55 Fri 04-Aug-17 14:05:04

As quite a lot of them are now dead that might prove to be a bit of a problem!

Caro1954 Fri 04-Aug-17 13:56:00

I am not interested in football in the least, though I am in other sports and think they too earn far more than they're worth. But £199 million has to be obscene in anybody's book.

Kim19 Fri 04-Aug-17 12:52:02

Thank you kwest. I've been mulling along your lines of thinking since I first read this thread but you have made the case so much more eloquently than I might have done. Ther's an ancient song which goes something like 'With the sun in the morning and the moon in the evening, I'm all right'. That'll do for me but then, I seem to be more fortunate than many.........

ValC Fri 04-Aug-17 12:47:15

My thoughts exactly Jamila, if the fans were to refuse the silly prices perhaps someone would take a step back and actually think about what they are doing.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 04-Aug-17 12:32:24

Yes indeed, and when we sometimes read about them getting drunk en masse, getting up to goodness knows what in the name of 'entertainment' it really makes me want to spit.

kwest Fri 04-Aug-17 12:30:29

Perhaps it would help if we all calmed down? What is this really about? None of us can change this situation, so why waste precious emotional energy getting steamed up about it?
What good stuff is there in our lives this morning? For me the sun is shining, we are (touch wood) healthy and happy.I am looking after my daughter's little spaniel while they are on holiday and he is a delight.
It is almost tempting fate to admit that life is good.
We are unlikely now to ever have lots of money, but as long as we can get by, living simply and calmly , and appreciating each new day as a gift ( who knows how many more we will get), then we are are indeed very lucky. We don't always appreciate what we already have, but we would be devastated if any of the people we care about, or things like good health or peace of mind were taken away from us.
Maybe we should be less concerned about the things we cannot change and be grateful for the good things we already have.

Elegran Fri 04-Aug-17 12:24:48

What has that to do with footballers?

Elegran Fri 04-Aug-17 12:23:57

Who wants to insert chips in our bodies, Veda ?

Hm999 Fri 04-Aug-17 12:23:14

www.theguardian.com/football/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2016/jan/22/charitable-footballers-jamie-carragher-juan-mata?
I hope this link will show what English clubs do for communities. But Barca is a Spanish club. Spain has been flashing the football cash since the 50s to my knowledge.

This transfer has nothing to do with our Premiership, the UK clubs or the UK Inland Revenue!

Veda Fri 04-Aug-17 12:12:04

We are probably in the end end times. Read the Bible. It will be the most evil time ever. Watch out for those electronic chips they want to insert in our bodies. That's an end time prophecy too.

GinnyTonic Fri 04-Aug-17 12:10:49

The world seems to be completely bonkers! Perhaps I'll drop a note asking for a fraction of his fee or wages for our local Care Home!

Sar53 Fri 04-Aug-17 11:53:53

I actually love football and support one of the smaller premier league teams but I also think it obscene that one man is 'worth' nearly 2 million pounds.
A lot of the fault lies with Sky and the millions they pay to show top flight teams on tv. If people didn't pay to have Sky things may slowly change, and no we have never paid to have Sky tv.

goldengirl Fri 04-Aug-17 11:42:42

It's absolutely disgraceful and I agree with the sentiments expressed. It's a bag of wind they're kicking about for heaven's sake. I loathe football but it seems to be a continually important topic of conversation in various circles.

holly100 Fri 04-Aug-17 11:33:50

apart from a few footballers earning megabucks and sold on - most of these footballers have originated from poor countries - do they go back and throw their millions at the poor - no - they open a "school" call it a charity and use the name - not just footballers - Mo Farah charity has been closed down - out of £millions "raised" £1/2 million spent on a fund raising ball for school in Niarobi - the school received 50 pairs of socks - he now lives in USA so not to pay tax - British my ass
So many sports stars have done this - Wiggins - etc - look at charities commission - see how many have been investigated -
so dont knock 1 man - if they are willing to pay silly money

Maidmarion Fri 04-Aug-17 11:28:54

Ditto, ditto, ditto to all of the above remarks.... I absolutely loathe football and all that goes with it. (And don't get me started on the huge amounts 'celebrities' earn ... Chris Evans, Garry Lineker for example!) Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Jane43 Fri 04-Aug-17 11:21:21

It is indeed an obscene amount of money. My husband was so disgusted he says he will stop watching football and has completely lost interest in it as it is all about money. I know their careers are short but even so ......

Also, apparently the CEOs of the top companies get paid in one year what it would take the average person 160 years to earn.

It would be nice to think that these high earners do some good with the money that is thrown at them, Hm999 I am heartened by what you say about the non-European players supporting causes in their home countries.

Teddy123 Fri 04-Aug-17 11:18:06

In total agreement with all comments. My OH tells me it's related to SKY owning the rights to televise football. Sounds about right. We don't have SKY.

I've noticed there are now very few British players in the Premier League nowadays. Which would explain why England are total losers in the international matches.

Lilyflower Fri 04-Aug-17 11:17:06

The footballers wouldn't be paid 'obscene' amounts if it were not for customers paying to view a game live or on a screen. It's the same with prostitution, it wouldn't exist if punters didn't pay. The same with gambling, drink and drugs.

Are we targeting the wrong people here?

We, as individuals and society, 'allow' what seem like perfectly decent men pay to huge amounts of their own and their families' money and to waste similar amounts of leisure time to dubious and sometimes downright criminal activities.

radicalnan Fri 04-Aug-17 11:01:57

All top earners could be easily replaced, there is not one of those footballers who couldn't be, plenty of fine footballers out there, also plenty of excellent TV & radio people who never get the chance to show us how good they are and the same for the bosses of charities etc. We are fed a myth that we have to pay through the nose or the people robbing us will 'go elsewhere', let them go I say.

I am tired of seeing the same people all the time anyway.

Why does Mary Berry have to keep shoving her wrinkled old face onto my screen, she must have earnt her money by now, give other people a chance !!!

We put people on such a pedestal that they can rob us with impunity and we are grateful for it. David Beckham keeps popping up all over the place with his kids a 'brand' it isn't entirely their fault if we go along with it.

Kim0612 Fri 04-Aug-17 10:58:24

They need to put a cap on these player's wages, it's absolutely ridiculous that one person can be paid such an obscene amount of money every week!!

Lyndie Fri 04-Aug-17 10:38:14

Although I agree who can be worth that amount. These highly paid players bring in sponsorship, advertising, revenue for the clubs and football in general. But agree ticket prices should reduce. The kit the young buy etc. It seems some people can demand so much whilst their supporters are struggling. Different worlds.

lovebooks Fri 04-Aug-17 10:36:52

I agree with EVERYTHING that's been said here.

Womble54 Fri 04-Aug-17 10:33:05

Eddicat78, I too am appalled by this. I think you are referring to the WASPI women, who (like me) were born during the 1950's and whose state pensions have been put back by up to 6 years. It wouldn't be so bad if there were jobs for us, if age discrimination laws were enforced, but in practice that is not what happens. I believe that, tragically, some women have been driven not only to suicidal thoughts but to actual suicide. Some women have been forced into prostitution in order to survive. It’s a national disgrace. Strangely enough, money can be found for other things, such as legal aid for convicted child abusers. Older people in this country are discriminated against and oppressed, but we can still vote, and we will!

rusheylee Fri 04-Aug-17 10:29:50

The word I use is obscene, which is the strongest word of disgust that I can use on this website I can use.

Also, for the "wages" they get every week, getting being very different from earning

rusheylee Fri 04-Aug-17 10:29:49

The word I use is obscene, which is the strongest word of disgust that I can use on this website I can use.

Also, for the "wages" they get every week, getting being very different from earning