Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you think about sharing pictures of children online?

(48 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 03-Aug-17 10:28:09

This story was in the news today and we wondered what your thoughts are on it? Do you think it's ok to put photos of your grandchildren online? Or do you think as long as you are mindful of privacy settings it should be ok? Do your views differ from those of the parents?

MargaretX Mon 21-Aug-17 10:52:39

I watched Dragons Den last night om BBC and website voucher codes were being discussed and the point of these is to make a perfect description of everyone who buys anything on the internet.
All 5 Dragons wanted to invest.
Whoever you send photos by, there is someone
behind it who wants to earn BIG money.

Photos on the internet placed by loving parents cause of a lot of bullying later on at school and even if not the teenagers are ashamed of themselves as babies there on SM for all to see.
SIL is a teacher and pleads with parents on parents evening not to send photos and to warn their offspring not to send them either.

Marydoll Mon 21-Aug-17 08:07:35

I would never post pictures of my GD online. We have a private family Whats App for sharing.
Also I never use Facebook, as in my role as an IT co-coordinator in a school, I have had to deal with numerous unpleasant incidents , a result of pictures and comments put on Facebook. Some people are so naive when it comes to social media and Internet security.

Gayliamelon1 Mon 21-Aug-17 07:58:10

My son is not on Facebook nor is my daughter on law. I'm not on it but husband is. Son asked that we do not post images of our grandchildren anywhere. We share between only the four of us using what's app.

annsixty Sat 19-Aug-17 14:16:25

I have posted on GN a couple of times , one of a GS in a nativity play and once of my adult GC with her permission. That was done for a specific purpose to show how successful her surgery had gone.
I do think the dangers are overthought but it is up parents to make their own rules.
We have seen some delightful photos on GN .

Norah Sat 19-Aug-17 14:02:05

I 'think' sharing DGC photos online can cause a DD to CO her mum. Happened to my friend and she will not admit to any wrong. A bit sad as she loved her DGC and now poof they are gone to her.

Norah Sun 06-Aug-17 09:48:22

There is a site named Dropbox, a place to store photos to, nobody else can see it or find it. My DDs and GC use Dropbox to archive photos, not printed copy.

Penstemmon Thu 03-Aug-17 22:26:06

My DDs both post as do many of their friends but have friends only not friends of friends able to view.

annodomini Thu 03-Aug-17 21:57:16

DiLs do put pictures of my GC on FB but with limited sharing.

Iam64 Thu 03-Aug-17 21:07:44

I have friends whose adult children refuse to allow any photographs of their own young children on line. I respect and understand their decision.

rafichagran Thu 03-Aug-17 20:11:54

No way, they are not my children. I like my privacy, so I respect theirs. This is just my opinion, but I do respect others feel differently.

Iam64 Thu 03-Aug-17 19:32:57

My adult children are on Facebook and do share photographs of their children with named family and friends. I occasionally share on of the photographs to my small group of ~FB friends.
I do understand the risks but I love seeing photographs of family and friends who may live on the other side of the world. I don't share photographs on any other social media.

FarNorth Thu 03-Aug-17 18:39:56

I don't put any pics of me online, and definitely none of DGD.
Her parents have put 1 or 2 of her, for friends, but aren't keen on the idea either.

The article says people post pictures their children are happy to have posted. The children can have no idea of the possible ramifications, as probably the adults don't either.

BlueBelle Thu 03-Aug-17 18:20:20

I wouldn't post on a public site but I do put photos of grandkids and kids on fb as my settings are private and only my friends see them You can also make them so they can't be shared so they don't go to friends of friends just your own family and friends

Tallulah57 Thu 03-Aug-17 18:15:31

Absolutely not.

Cherrytree59 Thu 03-Aug-17 17:51:34

No
Neither do DGC parents.
It is possible when the children are older they would object to their image being 'out there' on the Internet.

Moneyboss Thu 03-Aug-17 17:48:24

I don't post any photos but like to see what the family is getting up to, although FB seems to have taken over from phone conversations as a means of communication, which I find sad.

Grannyknot Thu 03-Aug-17 17:36:49

ana that was my point when I mentioned that GN is social media, and people do post photographs of their grandchildren on the site. (I haven't, but I didn't make that clear).

mimiro Thu 03-Aug-17 17:35:45

and just so you know
i never touched a pc until 2005
dont own a phone and my laptops are all 20+ years old
i just paid attention to what he and another phd taught me.

mimiro Thu 03-Aug-17 17:33:05

husband was internet security guy
he thought internet users should have to go thru a liscensing lessons just like cardrivers{grin}
we spent way too much time trying to get people to pay attention to what they do online.
he was actually on the american side of the similar agency to cid.he was playing with computers in the 70's.started writing code back then and did til the day he died.

TriciaF Thu 03-Aug-17 17:20:51

ps mimiro - I see you lived in Glasgow. That's where that person was in the CID.

TriciaF Thu 03-Aug-17 17:18:27

Thinking back to my first post - perhaps the person who posted the photo of my daughter on another forum was trying to teach me a lesson - he certainly did.
And I think he had been in the CID, must have been trained in the way criminal minds work.

mimiro Thu 03-Aug-17 17:11:40

lets see you post to say 20 friends,who then post/forward/share with 20 of their friends who then do the same with 20 of their friends and on and on
do you know the potentially thousands of friends...
forwards from emails include all the emails its being forwarded to, your email is being given to xxxx amount of people.including attachments....
and again it never goes away the internet is eternal

NfkDumpling Thu 03-Aug-17 16:31:09

DD1 post a loads of pictures. Of DGDs, dogs, and, at present, what's she's doing today on her holidays. But they're only shared with specific friends and never tagged. She says she doesn't care if people know she's on holiday. The whole neighbourhood knows anyway.

I share but with friends only - all 35 of them! And I don't post identifiable pictures of family or friends without their permission.

Ana Thu 03-Aug-17 16:11:15

GN isn't a safe place to post photos - anyone in the world can see them! hmm

mimiro Thu 03-Aug-17 16:02:47

even people who "teach" how to be safe online don't have a clue
anything you post online is accessable
if the u.s pentagon and visa and sears/target etc can be cracked(proper term as in crack open a safe)
anything can be accessed.
a"private family site"
no such thing.every picture you post has the address of your phone/pc/device.with that anything is available if someone wants it.
and yes the perverts use them and sell them on their sites.once its out there it there for good,you can delete all you want its not going to remove it .
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3046901/The-dangers-sharenting

www.inc.com/meredith-fineman/what-we-post-online-is-forever-and-we-need-a-reminder.html

so no/this> gn is the only place i post anything