Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Words for those of us who are getting on a bit

(65 Posts)
RosemarySuperager Fri 01-Sep-17 12:56:18

I saw something about "new old agers" as a reference to the newly retired and realised that although there are lots of ways of referring to us older people, not all of them are liked or even appropriate. Also most words don't distinguish between people at different stages of being old, e.g. retired but very active versus bedridden.

How do you refer to people of your own age and how would you LIKE to be referred to? Eg seniors, retirees, old timers, the elderly, the non-employed? I'd love to hear what you all think.

Anya Fri 01-Sep-17 13:02:05

I really don't bother what people call us. I know who I am so ....

grannysue05 Fri 01-Sep-17 13:08:43

I think 'seniors' sounds respectful and appropriate. This covers active people and disabled.
My DH calls all our group (all mid seventies) the Golden Oldies!

lemongrove Fri 01-Sep-17 13:16:50

I think that Seniors is the best of the bunch, don't like pensioners, silver surfers ?Elderly, old ( !) and you can't always use Retired, as my DH isn't, although long past retirement age.As for Old Timers, that conjures up a gnarled old man in a Western film.?

kittylester Fri 01-Sep-17 13:32:57

I hate seniors - how about people?

lemongrove Fri 01-Sep-17 13:46:40

Sometimes we do need a label though, as without it we wouldn't get the freebies we like, senior concessions!?

annodomini Fri 01-Sep-17 13:57:20

I was horrified to hear myself described as 'an elderly woman' by the kind person who called the ambulance for m the other day, but when i thought about it, I had to admit that it was accurate in the context!

annodomini Fri 01-Sep-17 13:58:44

Excuse typos. One-handed typing is not my 'thing'.

CherryHatrick Fri 01-Sep-17 14:01:29

Here in Spain I am referred to as "una señora mayor", literally "a better woman", as opposed to "una señora vieja", the literal translation of "an old woman".

Eglantine19 Fri 01-Sep-17 14:08:53

Personally I see myself as belonging to the RANDY club (retired and not dead yet) grin

Greyduster Fri 01-Sep-17 14:36:32

Eglantine grin! My son is fond of referring to myself and his father as "these persons in their dotage". He is frequently a "person with his mother's foot up his backside" as, yes, I can still get my foot up that high, dotage or no dotage!!

FarNorth Fri 01-Sep-17 14:37:24

grin randy wins for me!

RosemarySuperager Fri 01-Sep-17 14:49:36

I love RANDY too - I haven't seen that one before although I'd seen it written out.

Like kittylester I don't like 'seniors' much.

So glad that you get your foot up that high Eglantine!! You'll live to a ripe old age being that fit.

Don't you think we need to create some new words? After all it was our generation that created "teenagers".

One set of terms I saw was the "Go go" years, the "slow go" and the ""No go". It is quite descriptive. What do you all think?

Gagagran Fri 01-Sep-17 14:54:17

How about "venerable" ?

Dictionary definition is:

"accorded a great deal of respect,especially because of age, wisdom or character"

The venerable Gaga - hmm. Think I do like that! grin

Wheniwasyourage Fri 01-Sep-17 16:33:41

What about just over-60s, over-70s, or whatever is appropriate? I do not like seeing newspaper reports which inevitably call someone a pensioner if s/he is over 60, even though people don't get a pension at 60 any more.

nanaK54 Fri 01-Sep-17 17:01:09

Old farts grin no not really!

I am not a pensioner - won't be for another 4 years - thanks Mr Cameron!

aggie Fri 01-Sep-17 17:12:47

I myself saying "elderly" on the phone the other day , when explaining that I had no intention of going to postoffice to return a parcel which had been shoved in my door by mistake . Actually now that I think of it , why did I have to find an excuse any way hmm

aggie Fri 01-Sep-17 17:14:01

OOps should be "found " After I

fiorentina51 Fri 01-Sep-17 17:31:30

Once, whilst in the Far East for work, I was referred to as a veteran mother. I rather like that.

gillybob Fri 01-Sep-17 17:45:36

If it all carries on the way it is some of us might never be "pensioners".

Riverwalk Fri 01-Sep-17 17:46:43

I think Over-60s is about right.

Rosemary what do you think - and why would you love to know our thoughts?

Moneyboss Fri 01-Sep-17 18:34:39

What about being a golden oldie. I'm happy with that but not quite yet, I've got another 5 years to retirement, I'm another one thanking Mr Cameron. angry

Coolgran65 Fri 01-Sep-17 18:44:19

Senior sounds ok to me...... Senora sounds nice.

RosemarySuperager Fri 01-Sep-17 19:40:11

Riverwalk - I was writing something and had to search hard for a word that would fit the group of older people that I was referring to. So I started noticing what terms people use and how they use them.

"The elderly" for example, seems to be associated with people who are stereotypically older - i.e. with a bit of memory loss and maybe have difficulty managing to get money out of an ATM or paying bills the new fangled way. So seen as a bit doddery and not so good on their feet. (So aggie, you used EXACTLY the right term on the phone! Good on you!)

Whereas "retirees" are seen as more active and get up and go off travelling.

Retirees are quite different from pensioners/OAP whose defining characteristics are that they don't have much money.

"Seniors" is for me rather American.

"Over 60s" can work in some contexts, I agree but for say somebody very frail and say "over 90", it might not be appropriate.

I came to the conclusion that we needed a few more ways of referring to people at different stages of their older life - a bit like children are babies, then toddlers, then schoolchildren, then teenagers, then young adults. We need to distinguish the stages of old age that we go through rather than referring to old people as an amorphous lump of humanity - older people or the elderly.

I just wanted to know if other people felt the way that I did and whether anyone had any good ideas about how we could refer to our various stages of older life.

And when you want ideas, Gransnet is the place to go!!

It's certainly made for entertaining reading! Thanks everyone.

RosemarySuperager Fri 01-Sep-17 19:42:39

Fiorentina - veteran mother is a good one. My daughter having a baby in her 30s was designated as a geriatric mother!!!!!!