Gransnet forums

Ask a gran


(10 Posts)
blueskies Tue 05-Sep-17 11:18:15

I broke my right ankle about one year ago and was given a support "boot" to wear for a few weeks. Silly me didn't wear it as I was fearful of tripping over and landing in A and E again. I haven't any pain but my foot "turns over" at the edge when I walk. It seems to be getting worse. No point going to my GP--will probably say "spit on it -it will get better". I am wondering if I should go to a podiatrist and have a custom made insole but am put off by the price. I have had varying reports from £200 to £300. Will it be worth it?

merlotgran Tue 05-Sep-17 11:26:08

You could try some cheap arch support insoles from eBay and see if they help before forking out on expensive ones. I wear them in all my shoes.

I have plantar fasciitis/policeman's heel which can be really painful at times so I also wear ankle supports that also pull up the arch.

These really help

The good thing about eBay is you're not wasting a lot of money if something doesn't work.

Marydoll Tue 05-Sep-17 11:33:21

If you don't want to see your GP, why don't you go and see a podiatrist for an initial consultation? No need to commit to anything. They may recommend you see your GP for further treatment.
If it were me, I would visit my GP first. I already wear orthotics in my shoes, which were recommended by my physio and provided by the NHS. They aren't even visible, but give more support and their purpose is to realign my foot.
They were a bit uncomfortable at first, but you have to persevere. I am now on my third set.

Please don't leave it to get any worse, it will be even more difficult to fix.

Tegan2 Tue 05-Sep-17 11:36:39

I had one made on the NHS and they're so deep they don't fit into any shoes I have apart from one pair of boots and, even then they're so stiff and uncomfortable that they hurt my feet. I buy gel insoles from Boots and sports shops as I have benign tumours in my foot and can only wear flat shoes.

midgey Tue 05-Sep-17 11:37:18

You need to make your ankle stronger, so exercises are the answer. The best cure would be Pilates, you will strengthen all of your muscles and meet some friends! Look out for a Gentle Pilates class or similar. It has really helped my ankle.

Marydoll Tue 05-Sep-17 11:42:01

I think you need to seek professional advice on this. You don't know if there is any damage to your ankle and self treatment may make it worse.

blueskies Tue 05-Sep-17 11:51:44

Thank you. Lots of good advice here. I will make an appointment with a podiatrist and also investigate ebay.

devongirl Tue 05-Sep-17 12:20:49

blueskies, I suggest you go back to whoever provided you with the surgical boot and eat humble pie - they're surely best placed to advise?

Luckygirl Tue 05-Sep-17 12:26:24

I had 2 lots of NHS ones and they really are hopeless I am afraid - such a waste of public money. They fit fine on a naked foot and the lass nods sagely and says they are perfect - but they do not work when they are in your shoes, which change the placement of the insert so that it has the arch where your arch is not.

I paid £200 for a private pair and they are fine - all except the price!

Marydoll Tue 05-Sep-17 12:56:44

It seems to be pot luck, unfortunately. My NHS ones are fine, yet my husband paid a fortune for his and they are useless. £300 for shoes and insoles for plantar fascitis and he refuses to wear them.