Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Welsh language help

(16 Posts)
GrannyA11i Wed 04-Oct-17 14:40:44

nannybadcrumble1 - thanks you. my son is trying to learn it too - not easy - I am trying as well just as my DGD might feel more comfy with me as she gets older if I can speak some Welsh to her!

TerriBull Tue 26-Sep-17 10:21:07

"ddoniol" Annie grin if that's the right word!

Anniebach Tue 26-Sep-17 10:05:42

A good giggle .Terri

TerriBull Tue 26-Sep-17 09:51:37

I had a very good Welsh friend when our children were young, before she moved away, who spent her early years in Wales, then her family moved to Spain, tri lingual as a result, but English was on the back burner when she was growing up and she told me she only started speaking it fluently when she was about 12 or so. My friend was an archetypal blonde and some people mistook her for an airhead which she wasn't. There was a girl in our circle who wasn't very nice and called her a "bimbo". She'd never heard the word in the context it was meant, when she was living in Spain "Bimbo" was a make of bread and she said she couldn't understand why so and so was calling her "bread". We just collapsed when I told her what it meant it was always on ongoing joke between us.

Sorry digressed from the actual thread.

Anniebach Tue 26-Sep-17 09:06:31

I spoke Welsh before English , it is a difficult language to learn and like English Welsh spoken in the home is not always school Welsh

Greyduster Tue 26-Sep-17 08:51:59

I mentioned somewhere else on GN that my only foray into learning Welsh was when I was trying to earn some Brownie points and wheedle my way into DH's feisty grandmother's affections. Neither the learning nor the wheedling went well! The only word that sticks in my memory is 'gorau' which I think means 'best'. No doubt someone will be along to put me right in due course!?

NannyBadcrumble1 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:52:02

My DH is just on his way back from north Wales, and Welsh is his first language. I'll let you know the words you want as soon as he gets home. If there is anything else you need translated, just let me know. I'm trying to learn to speak welsh myself, oh dear! Its not going too well confused

GrannyA11i Mon 25-Sep-17 00:43:40

Thank you

Anniebach Sun 24-Sep-17 19:18:27

I used cariad for my grandchildren , it means - beloved one , else granddaughter is - wyres

Anniebach Sun 24-Sep-17 19:13:40

Here I am, there is a difference between North And South, example - grandmother in the North is Nain , pronounced Nine,

In the South it's Mam-gu , pronounced Mam Gee

Elrel Sun 24-Sep-17 18:19:57

I've emailed my friend from Blaenau!

GrannyA11i Sun 24-Sep-17 17:33:59

She's from North Wales !

Welshwife Sun 24-Sep-17 14:52:50

They were trying to unify the language twenty odd years ago when I had to go on a course - creating a sort of Quenn's Welsh to get over the problem * Ana* mentions - not sure how successful that was.

Greyduster Sun 24-Sep-17 14:30:00

Anniebach where are you?

Ana Sun 24-Sep-17 13:51:06

Is your DS's girlfriend from North Wales or South Wales? There are some language differences and you wouldn't want to get it wrong.

We do have a few Welsh-speakers - I'm sure one will be along soon smile

GrannyA11i Sun 24-Sep-17 13:32:21

DS1's fiancée is Welsh. I'm making a quilt for their new baby due in November. I'd love to embroider some Welsh words on it as they hope their daughter will grow up bi-lingual. Could any Welsh speaking grannsnetters help me out? I know I could google etc but I don't want any mistakes or using formal terms when a more familiar one would be better

I'd like to know the Welsh for:

To my grandaughter with love from Granny

Baby

Made With Love

Diolch in advance!!