Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Stiffness after sitting!

(20 Posts)
Glenfinnan Wed 27-Sep-17 11:44:47

I'm 67 reasonably active and in good health.....BUT recently I am so very stiff when I get out of a chair or chair if I've been sitting for a while and my hips hurt. The same thing first thing in the morning! Then when I walk about it eases. Any G/N got any tips/remedies for me please!

kittylester Wed 27-Sep-17 11:47:33

No tips or remedies but real empathy. I just walk it off but do feel old when I have to sort of balance myself. I'm 68.

Interested in any replies.

shysal Wed 27-Sep-17 11:57:00

No tips apart from keeping moving when possible. I am 71 and get the same problem, but I do have Polymyalgia.
Do you have to grunt or exhale when getting into or out of a chair? I try not to but it just happens! smile Getting old is no fun.

Charleygirl Wed 27-Sep-17 11:59:54

Welcome to the world of early osteoarthritis! Wait until you go out for a long lunch or evening meal and try to get up from the table- you will feel as though you are pushing the table through the floor to allow you to get up.

tanith Wed 27-Sep-17 12:12:28

I agree with Charleygirl sounds like Osteo Arthritis. I suffer similarly but have learnt to do a few exercises/stretches lying on the bed before I get up and my hot shower helps too. Good lucksmile

Greyduster Wed 27-Sep-17 12:43:52

I get this too, but I find it worse when we have been walking and stopped for a coffee or a lunch I struggle to get going again, and if you have a drive back home afterwards, getting out of the car is an agony.

midgey Wed 27-Sep-17 13:12:29

Quick.....you need gentle pilates, it will keep you straight and more comfortable.

Iam64 Wed 27-Sep-17 13:13:56

I have RA and osteo arthritis, osteopina in my pelvis. I go to yoga and pilates classes and walk walk walk. If I stop, I stiffen up big time.

M0nica Wed 27-Sep-17 15:06:01

I do pilates and Tai Chi. It certainly helps.

giulia Wed 27-Sep-17 15:25:42

When I was in England just recently I bought myself 18 months' worth of 1000mg codliver oil capsules at a discount price. Hoping this is going to be good for my stiff joints!

Nelliemoser Wed 27-Sep-17 16:25:56

Ouch I have had a back problem since 1981 after a fall down stairs.
Over the intervening years it has got steadily worse . Since the problem started I have had trouble finding any comfortable seating particularly when I am out and about.

I need very particularly firm lumbar support in any seating and have to lug my Backfriend everywhere with me.
The facet joints on my left leg are totally knackered. When I stand too long, or lie flat too long, or walk very far it hurts and grates.
I can still do careful gardening by working on my hands and knees as then the weight is not centered on the damaged joints.
I am away next week when there is opportunity to walk in North Yorkshire. I am going to have to pace that very carefully or it will be very painful all week.
Some mornings I have trouble getting my back moving. Once I was on a bus to Salford on a course and I decided I had better stand up there and then or I would not be able to get off the bus at all.
Really all that you can do is to take pain killers to dull the pain enough to actually get moving. When it start to improve it feels like turning a very rusty lock .
I have an appointment after my holiday to see what else might be possible.

Greyduster Wed 27-Sep-17 16:32:09

Nellie walking poles may help you. I have a pair and I use them when we are walking more than a few miles and there are gradients involved. They take pressure off your knees and hips, especially coming down hills.

mostlyharmless Wed 27-Sep-17 16:33:49

I developed osteoarthritis in one knee over twenty years ago after a car accident. I was prescribed ibuprofen for twenty years to cope with it.

Last year, after suffering ibuprofen side effects, I started using curcumin (from turmeric) and was able to stop the ibuprofen completely. Curcumin is a natural ingredient so no serious side effects and is recognised by the medical profession as an anti-inflammatory and very effective for arthritis.

I'm not selling this by the way! I take capsules that include bioperin to make it more effective. You need to do a bit of research online to find the best product for you. Definitely worth a try if you are in pain or have debilitating stiffness.

ninathenana Wed 27-Sep-17 16:48:08

The OP could be describing me. I also find have Greys problem with getting going again after a stop.
H and I used to go for 5-10 mile walks. These days neither of us can manage that.

whitewave Wed 27-Sep-17 16:51:54

Old age!! I think the secret is to keep moving as much as is sensible. I would also benefit from losing weight.

glammanana Wed 27-Sep-17 16:58:23

Watching the weight is a must and I do find keeping the ankles moving when sitting keeps the blood flow active so not too stiff when standing up again.

Welshwife Wed 27-Sep-17 16:58:56

I am stiff if we drive more than acouple of hours and am slow when I start walking again. Getting up from a low armchair can be difficult at times - in France these medical supply shops have what we call 'elephants feet' - they look a bit like that but they are sort of cups which you put under each leg of a chair to make it higher.
My main problem is pain in the lower left side of my back after standing a while - doctor prodded me about a bit and said he though physio would help but also has given me drops to take in water to help with osteoarthritis. I think my back is possibly muscular too - will see how I get on.

SueDonim Wed 27-Sep-17 20:06:22

I'm stiff in the mornings especially my hands, though I'm only in my early 60's.

My 89yo mum has osteoarthritis so gets very stiff. She gets up out of her chair every half hour or so and walks around the room for a bit, which she says keeps her more mobile during the day.

Glenfinnan Wed 27-Sep-17 20:07:34

Thank you all for taking time to reply. Mostlyharmless I have been looking at turmeric, but thanks for the tip on bioperin. Nelliemoser we were in North Yorkshire last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Went walking and ok on the walk but woke up at 2pm the next morning with sore hips and very stiff legs. Thank you all again.

Iam64 Wed 27-Sep-17 20:14:03

Turmeric is as Mostlyharmless says, well researched and accepted by medics as an effective anti inflammatory. It's also a blood thinner, so those of us on warfarin etc can't take it. I was told that I can continue to use it in cooking as I always have but to introduce the paste or tablets wouldn't be wise. B isn't it.