Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would YOU do?

(59 Posts)
Fairydoll2030 Sun 01-Oct-17 20:44:54

My son, partner and DGS flew to Spain with Monarch last week. Today, It looks very much like Monarch may go 'bust.' Lots about it on News so won't put the details. Sons tickets are flight only and not ATOL protected. Had text conversation earlier and he seems to think the CAA will 'rescue' anyone stranded abroad if an airline goes under. However, I've just read that CAA only protects ATOL passengers! If they can't get a Monarch flight they might have to pay inflated prices with another airline if and when they can get a flight
Have been checking Easyjet website and it looks like flights back from sons destination are selling fast - obviously people making contingency plans.
I really don't want to interfere especially as my relationship with sons partner is tenuous at best. However , currently, for £160 I could purchase flights for them back to the UK on Easyjet together with hold luggage). I'm not so much worried about the adults being stranded as my DGS maybe stuck at the airport.
Son would reimburse me I'm sure but at the moment, although he has been keeping track of developments, I don't think he realises the potential seriousness of the situation.
Just being a concerned grandparent and mum, so please be gentle with me..

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 10:20:04

Yes, travel insurance, but that only applies to reimbursements. Doesn't guarantee you a flight. Monarch flights along with most UK airline 'flight only' bookings was not ATOL protected, although the small part of their business related to package holidays was.

MawBroon Mon 02-Oct-17 10:22:38

I would leave it to them, they are grown up people and anyway, as I understand it, contingency plans are in place to bring Monarch passengers home.
Tempting as a Mum to want to “sort it” for them, but I would resist that temptation.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 10:29:10

Umm.. Mawbrown - have you read the thread? I heard from my son this morning that they have booked an alternative flight with Easyjet. I did not 'do' anything!

sarahellenwhitney Mon 02-Oct-17 10:30:44

From news reports there is to be a larger repatriation of persons awaiting return to the UK than ever witnessed before.
Knowing all is not lost should be of comfort and although of concern it appears there will be refunds to those who were due to go on holiday.

Luckylegs9 Mon 02-Oct-17 13:42:48

looks as if my holiday might not go ahead later in the year.
So upset for the company and all those employees who are now out of work. There are few jobs in the industry.

Eloethan Mon 02-Oct-17 14:15:19

I think it's perfectly natural for a concerned relative to want to help in this situation and, provided the people involved are asked if they need that help, I can't see why it should be implied that it is interfering.

I'm glad everything has turned out all right for your family fairydoll.

It's a real shame about Monarch.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 15:18:55

smile Thanks Eloethan

Happy for my son etc but feel so bad for all the job losses and cancelled holidays. Heartbreaking.

Norah Mon 02-Oct-17 16:06:40

I have never advance checked an airline or holiday. I would not know how. Maybe it would be best to learn.

M0nica Mon 02-Oct-17 16:48:12

Fairydoll, sadly your DGS's welfare in this situation is not your responsibility. His care and welfare are entirely the responsibility of his parents. and if they want to take risks in this situation there is nothing you can do about it.

You can let them know what alternatives there are and what can be done from this end to get them home safely, but after that it is entirely up to them.

They are not stuck in a country with a revolution on or where riots are breaking out. The worst that can happen is a delayed return home and possibly a night on an airport floor. Hardly things to cause more than a little discomfort and some lost sleep, even for a small child.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 17:34:58

Oh dear Monica I never assumed or implied it was my responsibility. I would be worried if it was any of my sisters, brothers, their children, grandchildren or, indeed, any of my friends. I would try to help if possible. That's who I am, I cannot change that and why should I?
If you read the whole thread you would learn that my son managed to book an alternative flight himself without any input from me.
Maybe your attitude is,'It's up to them to get on with it.' Thankfully, it isn't everyones..

Cherrytree59 Mon 02-Oct-17 17:40:10

Fairydoll glad everything oksmile

I'm in the minority as I would have bought tickets and been prepared to lose the money.
If it meant that a three year old wasn't stuck in an airport for goodness knows how long.

If necessary I would have paid
for ferry tickets or a hire car.

Last resort I would drive to Spain and pick them up.
That's just me...

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 17:45:47

p.s. As this event is unprecedented and 'the biggest repatriation since the 2nd world war', it may just prove to be so much more than 'just a night on an airport floor.'

OK, so that sounds dramatic, but who knows how it work out. The logistics must be a nightmare.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 17:47:52

Cherrytree59 smile

BlueBelle Mon 02-Oct-17 17:56:18

Cherry tree you can’t go buying tickets unless you are asked too that’s really ‘taking over’
The three year old was with his parents not in a war zone a night on the airport floor was only a very vague possibility and would be a great adventure
I had two small grandkids stuck in the ash cloud a few years back they had to sleep on a ferry floor over night with their mum it was made into a big adventure Kids are super resilient

Bellanonna Mon 02-Oct-17 17:58:18

Oh, Fairydoll you probably wish you'd never started this. I, too, would be concerned for my family and would want to help in any way I could. I'm so glad he's got a flight home, and a night on an airport floor would not be a lot of fun. Riots and revolutions? Ye Gods!

Cherrytree59 Mon 02-Oct-17 18:00:54

BlueBell oh yes I can.

FarNorth Mon 02-Oct-17 18:37:24

It depends on what sort of relationship you have with whoever it is that's in trouble.
Some would take great umbrage at having something done for them, others would be grateful to have a load lifted, even if they could have sorted it themselves.

M0nica Mon 02-Oct-17 20:09:41

Fairydoll I would also want to help anyone I knew caught up in the Monarch situation or any other difficult situation. But if I had offered assistance and it had been turned down and those involved were in no personal danger then, yes. I would leave them to sort it out themselves because they would have made it clear by their actions that they were dealing with it quite successfully on their own.

They probably knew far more about the contingency arrangements that the government had in place to get them home than you did and knew that your offer of assistance while thoughtful was unnecessary as they would be travelling with other Monarch passengers through the official evacuation programme.

maddy629 Mon 02-Oct-17 20:29:12

I would offer to help but I would step back if they did not want my help.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 20:37:06

I feel compelled to respond to you *Monica although my gut instinct tells me it's a waste of time.

My son did not turn down my offer! I did not offer anything. Late last evening when it was becoming apparent from TV news bulletins that it was highly likely Monarch would fail I had a text from him saying he had seen it on Sky News. He had no more info than I did at the time. The wifi is pretty flakey where they are and they are not at a major resort so no physical spreading of info by word of mouth. Getting flights for them was just a thought but I wasn't sure, so I came on lovely Gransnet to ask others their opinion.
This morning my son texted to say they had booked alternative flights with Easyjet ( by phone I think). So now they are (pretty much!) assured of getting back in time for
work which is very important as my son is free lance.
And, importantly, he can relax and enjoy the rest of the holiday free of the concern.about getting home.
And yes, I do know what the CAA are saying but it's never been done before on such a scale.

Bellanona. Correct!

merlotgran Mon 02-Oct-17 20:54:09

I feel sorry for all the Monarch staff who have lost their jobs.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 21:07:22

Agree. Heartbreaking. It's more or less our 'local' airline.
Established 50 years and in my experience always provided very good service. So very sad.

petra Tue 03-Oct-17 08:25:46

I'm with cherrytree on this. I would have bought the tickets and swallowed the loss if they didn't need them.

suzied Tue 03-Oct-17 08:45:50

I'd offer to buy tickets if it made life easier for them but if they said no that's fine.
My d.i l's mother was coming to the UK for an event and her BA flight was delayed for over 12 hours , it was only by D.IL getting on her computer from work in London that she managed to get an alternative flight that day so her mother didn't miss the event. She got compensation for the delay which covered the cost of the rebooked flight. This is just something families do. Her mother couldn't get on the phone or computer at the airport as everyone else was scrabbling around for alternatives so she asked her DD to do it for her.
Comparing this situation to Dunkirk is extreme, and if you' re already on holiday it's an inconvenience but not that major. People who have lost their jobs/holidays/ weddings etc we should feel sorry for.

Fairydoll2030 Tue 03-Oct-17 09:19:11

I, personally, did not compare the situation to Dunkirk.

Read Chris Grayling's assessment.