Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would YOU do?

(59 Posts)
Fairydoll2030 Sun 01-Oct-17 20:44:54

My son, partner and DGS flew to Spain with Monarch last week. Today, It looks very much like Monarch may go 'bust.' Lots about it on News so won't put the details. Sons tickets are flight only and not ATOL protected. Had text conversation earlier and he seems to think the CAA will 'rescue' anyone stranded abroad if an airline goes under. However, I've just read that CAA only protects ATOL passengers! If they can't get a Monarch flight they might have to pay inflated prices with another airline if and when they can get a flight
Have been checking Easyjet website and it looks like flights back from sons destination are selling fast - obviously people making contingency plans.
I really don't want to interfere especially as my relationship with sons partner is tenuous at best. However , currently, for £160 I could purchase flights for them back to the UK on Easyjet together with hold luggage). I'm not so much worried about the adults being stranded as my DGS maybe stuck at the airport.
Son would reimburse me I'm sure but at the moment, although he has been keeping track of developments, I don't think he realises the potential seriousness of the situation.
Just being a concerned grandparent and mum, so please be gentle with me..

FarNorth Tue 03-Oct-17 10:57:38

"There were reports that customers still abroad have been threatened with arrest or eviction from hotels as Monarch allegedly had not paid bills."
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/monarch-airline-rescue-biggest-dunkirk-11277294

So it wasn't as minor as some on here are trying to say.

harrigran Tue 03-Oct-17 13:43:55

I don't think anyone suggested it was minor. The possible collapse of the company had been headline news for a week or two, holiday makers would have been wise to heed the warnings.

Fairydoll2030 Tue 03-Oct-17 15:33:29

Harrigran. No, it hasn't been 'headline news' for a week or two. There were rumours on Twitter apparently. Not quite the same thing. Most holidaymakers would have paid long in advance for tickets. Unfortunately, the rumours were true, but t you don't cancel and lose money 'just in case'.

Fairydoll2030 Tue 03-Oct-17 15:38:40

Apparently people who were concerned in the immediate days before the collapse contacted Monarch and were reassured that the company was still in business. Which effectively they were.

Serkeen Tue 03-Oct-17 16:03:13

fairydoll why not let him know what you know, if you are concerned that DIL will cause an argument about it all just speak to her be sincere and make it clear u r just trying to be there for them and help them out of a tricky situation, if they do not want the help then u have tried ur best n no more u can do smile

Fairydoll2030 Tue 03-Oct-17 17:18:31

It's a very good idea to read a thread before commenting and then, dear reader, you know how things have progressed since I made the original post.

Just saying confused

MotherHubbard Tue 03-Oct-17 17:25:27

We were in Crete when Excel planes were grounded @ ten years ago. We were lucky as our 'rep' stayed and helped us get a flight which had been organised to repatriate UK holidaymakers. It was total chaos at the airport as independent travellers weren't as lucky as us and were desperately trying to get away, some even taking the ferry to mainland Greece, to try and get flights. Once these companies go into liquidation all payments stop so hoteliers abroad panic and reps,no longer being paid, have no responsibilities. Am glad Fairydoll that your son and family have managed to get flights organised to get home.

Grampie Tue 03-Oct-17 22:50:47

Monarch's financial problems go back at least 5 years to the terrorist attacks in North African resorts in Morocco and Tunisia when the cheap airlines serving these resorts switched to take business off of Monarch - Best avoided.