Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would YOU do?

(58 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 02-Oct-17 04:25:56

Monarch has gone..... I ve just heard it on the radio so I do hope your family had made contingency plans, fairydoll
let us know how it goes

BlueBelle Sun 01-Oct-17 22:14:47

‘Work hard’ that is, sorry for mistake

BlueBelle Sun 01-Oct-17 22:13:55

I m like you and would want to rescue them but unfortunately we can’t I have to work to learn you have to wait to be asked to help
Hope all goes well

FarNorth Sun 01-Oct-17 21:54:27

I'd offer to get the tickets for them, just in case they had difficulties. But if they didn't want me to, I'd just have to accept it.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Oct-17 21:03:43

I would expect they would have been checking out every possibility if they were that concerned about getting stranded. Maybe they aren't too upset about the idea? I probably wouldn't mention it.

tanith Sun 01-Oct-17 20:59:35

If it were my son and partner I don't think he would thank me for poking my nose in, sorry if that sounds harsh but they are adults and should be allowed to make their own decisions/choices.

midgey Sun 01-Oct-17 20:51:56

Afraid you have to leave it to them! I totally understand where you are coming from but it's their life, their look out and even worse your dgs is their son.

Fairydoll2030 Sun 01-Oct-17 20:44:54

My son, partner and DGS flew to Spain with Monarch last week. Today, It looks very much like Monarch may go 'bust.' Lots about it on News so won't put the details. Sons tickets are flight only and not ATOL protected. Had text conversation earlier and he seems to think the CAA will 'rescue' anyone stranded abroad if an airline goes under. However, I've just read that CAA only protects ATOL passengers! If they can't get a Monarch flight they might have to pay inflated prices with another airline if and when they can get a flight
Have been checking Easyjet website and it looks like flights back from sons destination are selling fast - obviously people making contingency plans.
I really don't want to interfere especially as my relationship with sons partner is tenuous at best. However , currently, for £160 I could purchase flights for them back to the UK on Easyjet together with hold luggage). I'm not so much worried about the adults being stranded as my DGS maybe stuck at the airport.
Son would reimburse me I'm sure but at the moment, although he has been keeping track of developments, I don't think he realises the potential seriousness of the situation.
Just being a concerned grandparent and mum, so please be gentle with me..