Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Theresa May

(324 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 05-Oct-17 09:43:52

After yesterday's disaster is it over for Mrs May?

vampirequeen Sat 07-Oct-17 22:19:42

I don't doubt your sincerity, Anniebach and I accept...no I'm glad...that the Labour Party is a broad church. It wouldn't do for us all to believe exactly the same things. Debate is healthy. It makes us reflect on our beliefs and, at times, adapt them.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:28:53

It's not about being politically correct Chewbacca. Anyone is perfectly entitled to offend people if they choose to do so but shouldn't be surprised if it causes comment.

I think it depends if the use of the word swarm is intended to imply the neutrality of the group or intended to impute negativity. It seems to currently have more of a tendency to imply negativity and it is then it's use is questioned.

Chewbacca Sat 07-Oct-17 22:32:28

Wonder how the reporters who "swarmed in" felt like then?

trisher Sat 07-Oct-17 22:49:36

Baggs you mayn't use the term Corbynite or Corbynista negatively but it has certainly been used to describe anyone who presents any left wing views on many threads, and it carries with it the impression of people who are unable to think for themselves.In fact it is difficult to post any left wing comments without being called a something. I hesitated to post the link to Corbyn's speech because I knew it would probably lead accusations of worshiping at the temple of Corbyn or some such rubbish. And yet it is a moving and passionate speech, the sort of speech the leader of a party and the leader of a country should make. But what do we get? Mrs May stumbling through and people feeling sorry for her. They say every country gets the government it deserves don't they?

durhamjen Sat 07-Oct-17 23:08:29

"I have never changed my posting style, so many will have guessed, but all others, with the exception of yourself and durhamjen have given me that courtesy."

What does that mean, lemon?
I have been out all day enjoying time with my five week old grandson, so couldn't have written anything about you.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 07-Oct-17 23:09:55

Difficult to say Chewbacca when we don't know where, if ever, it has been used other than an example on a piece found on Google. Where it has actually been used it seemed to imply a negative view of the group of people.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 07-Oct-17 23:19:40

Well I don't use it negatively me54. I use it as a descriptor if/when I use it. Out of interest, what else do you think would be as straightforward a group name for Corbyn's close followers and admirers but would count as calling by a name rather than "name-calling"?

I don't know what you were taught Bags but I was told you should call people what they choose to be called. If someone calls themselves a follower of the Gruffalo and terms themselves as a Gruffaloist then it is fine to use it. If they have clearly told you they are not, or not told you they are and you persist in using your 'descriptor' of them then those who brought you up did a bad job and you would be being bad-mannered, impolite, discourteous, , presumptuous, uncivil, disrespectful, unmannerly, unpleasant or any other version of 'rude' they feel applies at the time.

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 23:36:25

Well said GG Baggs knows exactly what I mean and is just playing the wide eyed 'what me guv' game that is so loved by a group of posters on here some of whom, when challenged, (but not Baggs to be fair,) then cry foul and bully. They deliberately and maliciously 'misread' 'misquote' and distort what posters say e.g.this evening the utter lie that some of us mocked TM's childlessness . In fact the most unpleasant comment about that came from that very poster who used the words either blame or fault when talking about why the Mays couldn't have children.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 07-Oct-17 23:41:50

You never know maryeliza, tomorrow we may be allowed to get back to talking about politicssmile

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 23:44:38

GG grin

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 00:23:18

This lady is definitely for turning.
The Tories promised to ban ivory sales in their 2010 and 2015 manifestos, and did absolutely nothing about it.

In 2017, they dropped all pretence – possibly at the urging of a certain third party – and didn’t bother mentioning it in their manifesto.

Meanwhile, in its own 2017 manifesto, Labour introduced a promise to ban ivory sales.

So the Tories had to u-turn, didn’t they?

Environment Secretary (God help us) Michael Gove has launched a 12-week consultation, ending on December 29. It suggests a series of exemptions.

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 00:28:24

"The most powerful UK antique traders association is the British Antique Dealers’ Association – whose president is Tory MP and pal of Theresa May, Lady Victoria Borwick."

She is no longer a Tory MP as she lost her seat at the election. She was MP for Kensington. Before that she was deputy mayor of London to Boris.

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 00:29:29

Was that political enough for you, GracesGran?

GracesGranMK2 Sun 08-Oct-17 01:18:06

It's certainly going in the right direction Jen. Thanks!

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 09:37:52

politicalscrapbook.net/2017/10/weak-indecisive-and-untrustworthy-voters-give-brutal-verdict-on-theresa-may-in-new-poll/

This nearly makes me feel sorry for her, although as someone said, when told we should feeel sorry for her because she has a cold, May doesn't feel sorry for someone with no legs being refused PIP.

Baggs Sun 08-Oct-17 15:41:07

Frida Kahlo with Theresa May bracelet. Sisters. ?

twitter.com/jimslaven/status/916279481555439616

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 17:02:23

That was ever so clever of her considering she died before May was born.

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 17:04:39

I much prefer this from the same tweeter.

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 17:13:15

This will look even better on a bracelet.
Unfortunately it's only on an Irish stamp.

maryeliza54 Sun 08-Oct-17 17:14:59

Well I think Baggs' link was very funny - I like that sort of humour

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 17:27:46

Insulting to Frida Kahlo, though, as obviously she can't answer back and has no choice - a bit like Che Guevara having his face on an I rish stamp.
By the way, his daughter is very worried about trump.

maryeliza54 Sun 08-Oct-17 17:38:05

Oh durham it was just pointing out the utter idiocy of TM's bracelet by reversing the position. I don't think it said anything about FK but spoke volumes about TM.

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 20:42:44

twitter.com/sisofrida

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 20:48:06

Sisters of Frida are interviewing for a steering group. They want to know if May wants to join, but are seriously worried about her values.

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 20:51:03

t.co/49InQU8npa

35% of disabled women get less than the national living wage, the Tories laughable minimum wage.