Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Theresa May

(324 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 05-Oct-17 09:43:52

After yesterday's disaster is it over for Mrs May?

NotTooOld Thu 05-Oct-17 16:39:39

Poor woman. I don't necessarily agree with her policies and she has made some disastrous decisions but, as a woman, you have to feel for her today. I think it was great the way her husband rushed on to the stage at the end. If I was her I would resign today and walk away to a happier life somewhere a long way from Westminster. Let the b******s fight it out between them.

GillT57 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:48:34

Exactly notooold. Just leave them to it, seeing Andrea Leadsom, Boris, Davis all grinning was chilling.

Anniebach Thu 05-Oct-17 17:08:35

Not easy to walk away from a party you have spent so many years working for and believing in

mostlyharmless Thu 05-Oct-17 17:16:17

I think Party Leaders' partners do usually join them on stage after their big conference speech. But usually it's "congratulations- that was brilliant" yesterday it felt more like "oh my God darling, thank goodness you managed to get through it."
The BBC reporter thought there were tears in her eyes, but they must have better eyesight than me though.

Fairydoll2030 Thu 05-Oct-17 17:17:58

Remember that TM became PM by default.

This may seem shallow but my observation of her is that she always appears so 'uncomfortable' and her body language clearly shows she is nervous.

Any leader who shows vulnerability leaves themselves open to 'attack'.

Unfortunately, in politics, the law of the jungle is alive and well.

Nevertheless, I do feel sorry for her.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Oct-17 17:21:00

I m sorry but when the letters started falling off the wall it was like a message ...... cant stand her politics her voice her sanctimonious style but yes even I had a flicker of empathy for her poor old girl she’s been sonout if her depth since day one

Iam64 Thu 05-Oct-17 17:44:43

I'm not a Tory, no secret there but I'm a human and so is Teresa May. She started well. she had. Rotten cough, which so many of us have had, it's doing the rounds. On an ordinary day, she could have had an afternoon on the sofa.

The so called "prankster" incident was shocking. TM responded as well as most would, whether it made her cough and anxious voice worse, I expect so.

Interesting about the BBC coverage. Corbyn used to only get negative reports, now it's Theresa .May. The letters falling, the potential risk to her and others at the conference when a random individual can get up close to the P
M and then to ministers is shocking but not TMs responsibility.

Luckygirl Thu 05-Oct-17 18:01:21

I had forgotten the falling letters. Oh dear - it really was not her day!

soop Thu 05-Oct-17 18:09:17

I believe that Theresa May is a decent individual. She had a speech to make and in spite of a throat infection and a silly git in need of a strait jacket, she didn't let herself or her party down. She deserves praise for her determination in completing what she set out to do in the face of unplanned setbacks. Her husband did what any caring supportive husband would do.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:17:50

Iam, like many paper there is no good news for the BBC.

My sympathy is with TM but that doesn't negate the fact that the speech was very thin. Tory leaders have fallen to their right wing in the past and it just makes me think that we should have PR so that the extremes of any party can stand on its own and so can the moderate thread.

Maggiemaybe Thu 05-Oct-17 18:31:31

I think the hoo-haa about the cough, the unglued letters, the so-called comedian (how I hate that sort of thing!), may even have worked in TM's favour. If we hadn't had that to focus on we might have had more discussion about how weak the speech was. About the lines lifted wholesale from The West Wing, the three (at least) mentions of the British Dream. Is that even a thing? Is this the new mission statement, to replace the woefully inaccurate Strong and Stable?

whitewave Thu 05-Oct-17 18:33:57

Whilst so many on this thread are busy feeling sympathy for May, it should never be forgotten that there are families out there which as a result of the Tory austerity cuts and casual disregard for their situation, are having to beg for food from food banks, are living a family to a room with shared facilities for the extortionate rent of £900pm, are never sure if their zero hours employment will give them any hours work tomorrow, have taken social care from the elderly, have increased NHS waiting times, it goes on and on.

I remember this and have no sympathy for May. She should have resigned after the election, she has embarrassingly clung on without making an iota of difference to this nation.

suzied Thu 05-Oct-17 18:37:49

It's the British dream to work with a zero hours contract, pay off huge student loans with high interest rates, travel in overcrowded expensive trains, if a person can't afford a house they might even get a council flat in x years time....well that's what this government are promising.

durhamjen Thu 05-Oct-17 18:42:49

What do you think about May borrowing lines from The West Wing?

whitewave Thu 05-Oct-17 18:45:08

I didn’t realise that! I have never seen the series!

What were they?

So speech from West Wing
Content from Labour
Comedy provided by the Tory Party

durhamjen Thu 05-Oct-17 18:54:21

twitter.com/D_Raval/status/915618207343480833

whitewave Thu 05-Oct-17 18:58:46

As someone said on twitter “the Tories inflict so much pain, and at the same time so much joy”

durhamjen Thu 05-Oct-17 20:01:50

labourlist.org/2017/10/len-mccluskey-may-owes-an-apology-to-the-british-people-who-have-been-exhausted-by-austerity/

Deedaa Thu 05-Oct-17 20:47:46

Sadly everything that happened just seemed to underline the lack of content in the actual speech. I do think the Tories are underestimating the Corbyn threat, he is such a good speaker and tends to talk rather than orate when he is interviewed. Many people react to this better than they do to being lectured by the headmistress.

whitewave Thu 05-Oct-17 20:52:17

A Tory party member actually said when talking about the car crash that at least May didn’t have a chance to be her usual condescending self.

durhamjen Thu 05-Oct-17 21:11:13

I didn't understand why she didn't just cut it short. Nobody would have known.

durhamjen Thu 05-Oct-17 21:14:50

"Over a year since Prime Minister Theresa May pledged to stand up for workers and curb excessive pay, the Centre for Labour and Social Studies (CLASS) reveal why the wait for workers on boards must end.

On the eve of May’s leaders speech at conference, new research from think tank CLASS shows that the ‘embarrassment factor’ is significant for bosses when arguing for bonuses and higher pay packets when there are employees in the room. Having workers on company boards curbs management pay rewards and improves terms and conditions for staff, yet the government’s promise to take action on this and overhaul corporate governance has failed to materialise.

Dr Faiza Shaheen, the Director of CLASS, said: “The Prime Minster has paid nothing but lip service to working people. CEO’s are receiving bumper pay packets while public sector workers feel the impact of real term cuts. To improve their long term prospects, workers need a greater voice but have only received empty promises. The sad fact is that since May took over the reins, workers have even less say in the workplace." "

durhamjen Thu 05-Oct-17 21:58:45

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-policies-labour-stole-list-conference-speech-organ-donor-tuition-fees-a7983191.html

All May's pledges that she stole from Corbyn.

Anniebach Thu 05-Oct-17 22:35:16

Wales has had the organ donation opt out in practice for two years, now Corbyn is thinking of it ?

durhamjen Thu 05-Oct-17 22:41:10

You should be pleased, Annie. May pinched it from Corbyn.