Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Winter Flu Jabs - for or against?

(180 Posts)
grannysue05 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:27:15

The letters have dropped on our mats this weekend....You know, the invitation to attend for flu jabs.
DH and I have never opted for the jabs, and , fingers crossed, have only had real flu twice in all our years (late seventies).
We have friends who religiously take up the offer. Most have a 'reaction" within days, but that passes. The sore arm goes on for a week or more.
Most of the friends have then gone on to catch flu later in that paticular winter. Mostly from GC's .
I have read that the treated virus's are taken from the previous years' flu epidemic, and a mix is made up from this.
The flu that arrives each season has mutated from the previous year, so the actual vaccination serum is not really relevant.
Are we wise to keep pumping in these foreign bodies?
Can we not rely on our immune systems?

lemongrove Sun 08-Oct-17 20:59:02

Just had the flu jab yesterday, the nurse reminded me that I still hadn’t had the pneumonia one, but said to leave it a week or two, or the double whammy could leave me seriously ‘under the weather’, so hope you will feel ok Phoenix ?

lemongrove Sun 08-Oct-17 21:01:43

You are right Iam64 lots of people say they have flu when they very likely don’t have it.I have only had flu twice in my life,and it’s ghastly.

Faye Sun 08-Oct-17 21:39:26

The flu has really hit Australia hard, this year, many people have died from it. GD5 had it and DD took her to the hospital in the middle of the night because her coughing was so bad her nose kept bleeding. GS 9 also had it, then I caught it. Meanwhile my other GDs and DD who live in a different state had it too. So many people I know have now had it.

In September I was in Central Queensland helping my niece pack up her house. We heard the influenza was rife further down the East coast of Australia, just where we were heading for a holiday with DN's sons 9 and five years old. We spent four days in Noosa and Byron Bay then travelled through NSW and on to my home where DN and GN's (great nephews) spent a few days. My GD5 and GN5 are the best of friends so they spent a few days playing together and then GD started to become unwell. DS, DIL and my two GSs also arrived from a trip and stayed at my house for a few days . My niece and her DSs, DS, DIL and GSs all didn't catch the flu. You would think one of them, especially the children as they all played together for days would have caught it.

I have never had the flu before, it's very different from a heavy cold and I felt very flat and unwell. Not what I would have imagined at all.

I still wouldn't have a flu vaccine but if you are check if they are covering the Australian Influenza. Apparently the flu vaccine this year in Australia only covered 40% of the current influenzas.

Lisalou Sun 08-Oct-17 21:43:33

Husband and I started having it when my father was terminally ill, and have continued, as my mother is elderly and we work with young children (both teachers)
No adverse effects and no flu.

silverlining48 Sun 08-Oct-17 22:49:12

No adverse reaction and no flu. We havnt had this years dose and will get it done on return from holiday.
Woukd also recommend pneumonia jab too. Protection for 10 years.

missourisusan Tue 10-Oct-17 02:51:32

Got mine today. Last year visited friends in Missouri US and 5 of my friends came down with horrible flu-had already had my shot. I didn't get it but had to go out to a cafe to eat as they couldn't even stand the smell of toast and coffee. It was toilet hugging time for them-thank goodness they had 3 toilets. I was never so happy that I had preventative.

BlueBelle Tue 10-Oct-17 06:45:36

I had my flu and pneumonia jabs together couple of years back Phoenix and didn’t have any reaction

NanKate Tue 10-Oct-17 07:40:20

We both had our for jabs yesterday. The pharmacist told us this particular jab guards against 4 types of flu including the Oz one. He also said the Oz Flu has not yet reached the UK. We should in 10 to 14 days have built up our immunity. Because I have an auto immune illness I will not be protected 100% but if I get it he said it would be milder. IMO it is worth having.

We both had headaches yesterday after the jab, but both feel fine this morning.

Luckygirl Tue 10-Oct-17 08:43:16

Had mine on Sat. Felt a bit under the weather yesterday - first time I have had any sort of reaction in decades of having the jab. But better than flu!

whitewave Tue 10-Oct-17 08:59:45

Mine is due on Saturday. I have had varied reactions over the years, from feeling really grotty to nothing. Last year was nothing so fingers crossed for this year. I had shingles and flu together and flu and pneumonia together - nothing noticeable to report.

Tegan2 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:07:21

I think it's important that we have it as, the more people are vaccinated the more we reduce the possibility of there being a bad epidemic. I know I was always terribly concerned that my DD and DIL might catch the flu when they were pregnant and, if my having a flu jab could reduce that risk then it was worth having. I realise they both could have had a flu jab, but, not having had the jab prior to being pregnant they didn't want to be vaccinated when they were. Will be having my pneumonia jab soon as well. I had a friend who was furious with the medical centre when her mum died of pneumonia, only to be told that she had been offered it but had refused.

chelseababy Tue 10-Oct-17 09:08:00

We are being offered vouchers for flu jabs at work. I've applied but not received it yet.

Smithy Tue 10-Oct-17 09:19:09

Same as most posters, I get no adverse reaction to the flu vaccine. Why not have it if there's even just a slight chance out could prevent something.
Must be coincidence but a couple I know won't have it and every winter they both get horrible fluey type colds that last for weeks. As someone said, real flu is awful, have only had it about 3 times in my life.

Nezumi65 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:21:34

Never had it. (Get invites every year as a career). Never had flu bad enough that I would call it flu - never bad enough to be in bed.

I would rather get long lasting immunity from previous infections.

The evidence for their benefit in healthy adults is fairly limited - www.cochrane.org/CD001269/ARI_vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adults

whitewave Tue 10-Oct-17 09:33:44

People die from flu. The older you are the more likely there will be complications and the more likely you will need medical intervention. Every year the scientist try to second guess on previous experience the most likely flu virus that will be prevalent for the coming year, it isn’t a dead cert. but it is the best we have got, and I think we, as older folk have a duty to protect ourselves as far as we are able.
Money and time is put into ensuring this we shouldn’t waste it by refusing the jab.

whitewave Tue 10-Oct-17 09:35:04

And immunity will not save you, unless the virus is identical to your antibodies, and how likely is that? Next to zero I would have thought.

Eglantine21 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:45:14

I think we forget how dangerous flu can be. The OP probably thinks it's like a bad cold. I was left an orphan as a baby because of flu.

trisher Tue 10-Oct-17 10:02:07

I've never had a flu vaccination. I have had flu and I do know the difference between flu and a bad cold. I don't have it firstly because I think it takes no account of any immune system problems people may have, only provides protection from some strains of flu and lessens the likelihood that you will take careful precautions if you have contact with flu. I also have major doubts about drug companies who make fortunes from selling this commodity.

annodomini Tue 10-Oct-17 10:08:23

I've never had a reaction, except for the first time when I had a headache which lasted just one day. Last year the jab was so quick and painless that I wondered if the nurse had really done it. One caveat this year is that there's been a nasty flu virus in the Antipodes which is probably not included in this year's vaccine. However, it's still worth having to ward off previous years' bugs.

durhamjen Tue 10-Oct-17 10:15:39

That's sad, Eglantine. Sorry about that.

I've had flu injections ever since they realised that it would be a good idea for carers to have them too.
My husband had had them since they first came out.
There would be no point in him being protected from flu, and me getting it, as there would then be nobody to look after him.
The winter after he died they did not give me one, and for the first time since starting the injections I had a few very heavy colds. The next year they let me have one because, even though I wasn't 65, I would be before the next round of injections.
Strange logic, but who cares.

gillybob Tue 10-Oct-17 10:15:41

I have twice been hospitalised as a result if the flu and always have my flu jab these days. Touch wood never had any complications and not do much as a sniffle as a result.

gillybob Tue 10-Oct-17 10:18:29

I think there are still people who confuse having a nasty, heavy cold with having the flu. The last time I had it ( 8 years ago) I spent Christmas in hospital and I was so out of it I didn't care.

durhamjen Tue 10-Oct-17 10:18:48

You are braver than me, trisher.
I have had flu. Don't want it again.

mamamags Tue 10-Oct-17 11:30:24

I had the flu last year despite having the jab and was hospitalised for five days in isolation all my visitors and hospital staff had to wear. caps and masks and gowns before they entered the room You would have thought I had the Ebola virus

Anya Tue 10-Oct-17 11:43:48

Yes, have read about the Australian flu outbreak this year being a bad one. Does anyone know if this current flu vaccine has been modified to deal with the Australian strain?

I personally doubt there has been sufficient time, and therefore wonder just how efficacious this years flu vaccine actually is.