Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Winter Flu Jabs - for or against?

(180 Posts)
grannysue05 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:27:15

The letters have dropped on our mats this weekend....You know, the invitation to attend for flu jabs.
DH and I have never opted for the jabs, and , fingers crossed, have only had real flu twice in all our years (late seventies).
We have friends who religiously take up the offer. Most have a 'reaction" within days, but that passes. The sore arm goes on for a week or more.
Most of the friends have then gone on to catch flu later in that paticular winter. Mostly from GC's .
I have read that the treated virus's are taken from the previous years' flu epidemic, and a mix is made up from this.
The flu that arrives each season has mutated from the previous year, so the actual vaccination serum is not really relevant.
Are we wise to keep pumping in these foreign bodies?
Can we not rely on our immune systems?

downtoearth Thu 19-Oct-17 08:49:47

Just to say yesterday was hit by joint aches and pains,sore throat and temperature, upset tummy.I googled the flu jab and found they where possible after effects...my first flu jab last Saturday...all cleared up today

Anya Thu 19-Oct-17 08:56:46

I think Smithy’s take on this issue just about sums its up....have the jab if that’s what you feel is right for you as ‘there is just a chance it will prevent something’.

annsixty Thu 19-Oct-17 09:29:48

We had ours on Monday and as has been the case for the last 15 or more years neither of us has had any reaction or side effects at all.

JessM Sat 21-Oct-17 16:29:05

Same principle applies every year. They research the strains circulating in S Hemisphere, develop suitable vaccine (4 strains this year, instead of the more usual 3) and go into production in time for N hemisphere autumn. A mutation could make less virulent or serious and the vaccine might still offer some protection if it has mutated. If this process did not work to reduce the incidence of winter flu there would not be such a big effort put into it.