Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Would happier TV programmes improve mental health?

(69 Posts)
Anniebach Thu 12-Oct-17 09:52:47

No Man .Is An Island, doesn't apply to everyone it seems

PamelaJ1 Thu 12-Oct-17 09:43:41

I try and avoid programmes that don't make me happy but I am interested in what's going on in the world.
It's all gloom and doom made worse,I think, by broadcasters and interviewers wanting to 'big up ' (sorry pedants) the bad.
Health service, care services, corruption etc. etc. We need to know to some degree but how many older people with health problems are worrying now that the NHS won't be there for them this winter if they need it?

AlieOxon Thu 12-Oct-17 09:41:13

I couldn't agree more with the OP.

What worries me is that people aren't distressed enough by what they see...on the surface. You see disasters, and can do nothing...most ignore seeing people's suffering...
Acceptance is wrong.

'Reality' TV isn't real.
Drone killings are ok, today
Sexism is alive in the ads, still

And TV is giving us a distorted view of the real world.

Anniebach Thu 12-Oct-17 09:40:13

Not everyone has many channels , or can afford to pay monthly for Netflix

DanniRae Thu 12-Oct-17 09:32:07

I guess that's why I love "Strictly" so much - it's pure escapism.
We also watch lots of quiz shows, antique shows and property shows - we especially enjoy "Homes Under the Hammer".
We seem to have quite a bit of football on our tv too but that's ok because I am happy spending time on Gransnet!

Christinefrance Thu 12-Oct-17 08:35:19

No we don't have to watch suzied but it would be good if there were new, more light hearted programmes as well as the grisly stuff. The new Jack Dee sitcom is dire.

suzied Thu 12-Oct-17 07:22:15

TV these days is so much better, there are so many channels you can watch old comedy shows all day if that's what you want. I watch TV a couple of hours a day in the evenings and rarely watch "live" programmes, prefer box sets that both OH and I enjoy. Currently watching The Deuce and Liar on catch up and GLOW on Netflix. I do enjoy the occasional dip into Flog It, Corrie, Supervet, Who do You think You Are? , Strictly and many others. There's so many interesting / entertaining programmes to choose from, you don't have to watch grisly stuff if you don't want to.

Anniebach Thu 12-Oct-17 03:41:08

Some can watch human suffering relayed on their TVs screens and it not affect them because it doesn't involved them or their families, others, and I am one, who get distressed seeing this suffering,

Nelliemoser Wed 11-Oct-17 23:23:28

I doubt if happier programs would improve mental health if you are already feeling down, but miserable unhappy programs might make us feel even worse.

I find I have to avoid Disasters and political issues if I am already feeling miserable. There are times when there is just too much stress around.
What will really get to me will be the next two months of TV Christmas forced gaiety, adverts and everything else that goes with it.
If you do not enjoy Christmas for whatever reason then lots of jolity will probably make you feel even worse, isolated or whatever.
A drama is worth watching but not too much violence or cheesy sentimentality. You can become hooked on a good storyline.

I have been watching repeats of "Birds of Feather" recently. I find them extremely funny. It's a long while ago now that it was first on. The dialogue is very fast and very funny. Quite rude if small kids are around but extremely clever and well acted.
I can still enjoy Morcambe and Wise repeats they were just full of joy and "sunshine".
I really miss Victoria Wood with her observational comedy routines, she was one of those comedians who could make us laugh at ourselves. There will come the point after Christmas when all the fuss is over and done with for another ten months.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:04:29

What I watch on TV doesn’t have the slightest impact on my mental,health. My real life is what matters and could affect my well being= my family, my friends, my relationships, my work. I watch TV to relax, keep and be informed, laugh, reflect. At the moment I regularly watch Only Connect, University Challenge, Rellik, Liar ( best laugh going), Doc Martin, Antiques Roadshow and C4 News. I’d only miss the last one if my TV broke.

Moocow Wed 11-Oct-17 22:18:28

I was going to say Doc Martin. We do need lots of lovely escapism not all these clever plots who dunnits etc aaaalllll the time. Sometimes i resort to the extremely OTT action films as they are very silly so in the right frame of mind can be very comical.

Jane10 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:50:51

Another Doc Martin fan here. More programmes like this would be so nice. I suppose it's a situation comedy/drama. Lovely situation. Likeable characters.

M0nica Wed 11-Oct-17 21:26:47

They would be even happier if they just stopped watching television. Does that mean we should have more doom and disaster laden programmes to encourage people to do something else?

Deedaa Wed 11-Oct-17 21:12:57

DH and I spend most of our time watching quiz shows and antique shows because they seem to be fairly short of death and destruction.

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 20:51:56

I adore the police officer, he is such an innocent , I always want to give him a hug when he makes a yet another misjudgement

Christinefrance Wed 11-Oct-17 20:44:19

Doc Martin is a lovely bit of escapism, beautiful countryside too.

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 20:09:39

I am not envious, but am now tempted to get rid of my TV, the political aggression, the violence , the disasters.

At least it's Dc Martin night ?

Cherrytree59 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:56:52

I agree Hilly
So much so that I rarely watch TV.
I no longer watch The News, News programmes or read newspapers.

I look at the headlines on the net and then decide what I want to read.
Keeps my anxiety levels down.

I miss the days of the sitcom.
Laughter as you say does lighten the mood.
I don't want reality TV,
I want escapism and humour.

HillyN Wed 11-Oct-17 19:29:33

Sometimes I find TV so depressing. News programmes show us horrifying scenes of war, suffering and natural disasters. Reality TV and advertising just make people envious of 'how the other half live' and want things they can't afford. People are made to feel inadequate because they aren't beautiful, don't have a model figure or great relationships.
Life has always had its difficulties but at least we used to be able to watch a good sitcom, have a good laugh and forget our troubles for a while. Or join in with a melodious singer and lighten our mood.
What do other GNers think?