Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is Over Eating An Addiction

(85 Posts)
Serkeen Sun 15-Oct-17 21:07:52

I believe it is.. because when I am upset I CAN NOT stop myself from eating. I have had a terrible few days, were I have not been able to eat sensibly and portion control has gone right out of the window.

I am a very sensible person, always have been but in the past few years I feel that I have obtained a food addiction were I have periods, luckily they do not last long, were I can not stop myself from eating, were I completely loose control all together

So my question.. is overeating and Addiction do you think?

humptydumpty Mon 16-Oct-17 10:45:05

Serkeen I also went through a period exactly like you are describing, so I know how difficult it is to get out of, and how distressing. I used to eat everything in sight, then feel disgusted with myself (plus, of course, I put on a lot of weight and found myself gross, which just added to the problem). I think it is too easy for people who have never faced this to imply thta it is simply a matter of self-control.

Why not look at www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/support-services, which is the eating disorder charity, which might provide some helpful advice. Please feel free to PM me if that would be useful.

Sheilasue Mon 16-Oct-17 11:01:15

No nor have I KayR. I used to comfort eat a lot. But manage to get it under control a bit, I call it grazing anyway.
I try and eat fruit.

Jane10 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:01:24

KayR. It is a very well researched way of giving the body time to recover and repair by giving it 16 hours a day without any demand on the digestive system. Basically, it means that all meals are consumed with 8 hours. In my case that means between 12pm and 8pm. I don't have to faff about with calories or avoiding carbs etc. The only time I'm aware of not eating is missing my breakfast but thats just a habit.
Having been brought up to think that we must all eat at very regular intervals, this 'fasting' approach was extremely counter intuitive but reading the academic research underpinning it I tried it and it works. My BP plummeted and I definitely felt better and had more energy. DH has just shrunk. His clothes hang on him and he is the toast of the medical centre (well he says he is!).
Its radical but flexible and it works!

Sparklefizz Mon 16-Oct-17 11:07:56

I was hoping it was the reverse Jane10 - 16 hours of eating, 8 hours not.

Jane43 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:09:03

There are many explanations with a basis in psychological theory.

One theory is that it is a pattern of behaviour which can be broken by introducing a new pattern of behaviour at times when you do over-eat. Cognitive behaviour therapy might help if you can get help or perhaps read up about it.

Another theory is that it is a behaviour that is being used as a reward and we may have learnt this in childhood with food rewards for being good or achieving at school therefore we associate food with feelings of happiness about our parents’ love and approval. This may be broken by finding a new reward to substitute for food but if it stems from childhood it can be deeply ingrained and hard to break because every time we use food as a reward we are reinforcing the behaviour.

Another theory is that food is being used to fill an emptiness deep inside and some sort of therapy is needed to address and resolve the issue.

It could be an addiction in some cases and if sugary foods are being turned to.

I hope you are able to overcome this because it is clearly bothering you.

peaches50 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:10:00

Hi KayR see this www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/what-is-the-168-diet. Eating for 8 hours and not for the remainder of a 24 hour day.
MawBroon, your comment re gluttony seems quite judgmental for someone really asking for help (which this forum is brilliant at giving) corner gran you are lovely and I too send serkeen a big hug

GoldenAge Mon 16-Oct-17 11:10:32

Over-eating can be both a matter of sheer greed, or quite definitely an addiction, and if it's the latter then it's hard to break irrespective of whether the individual is intelligent or stupid. The urge to overeat in a stressful situation is a physical reaction to the hormonal changes brought about by stress/emotional turmoil. Willpower can overcome pure greed, but when overeating results from emotional difficulties, willpower alone is not enough, and support needs to come from other people and in many different forms to try to re-educate those who do suffer this way to change their behaviour. There is abundant evidence of the overeating/weight gain problem among older women who themselves have caring responsibilities for even older relatives, usually their parents. As a woman in my late 60s caring for a mother in her early 90s who has multiple medical problems and advanced dementia, I speak from experience of my own weight gain of 2 stone since being in the stressful caring role, and that of many other women in the same position.

Shinyredcar Mon 16-Oct-17 11:11:24

I have seen TV programmes and read recently in the press and books that most of us do not sleep enough these days. There are good reasons for that old adage saying we need 8 hours a night.

One of the reasons is that the control of hormones and other chemical messengers which the brain undertakes during the night affects our hunger in the following day. Apparently it is much easier to limit food intake if we have had a good night's sleep. Might checking this out help some of the posters on this thread?

vonnie1 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:14:52

Over eating is a form of comfort,I know I should eat less,but I find great comfort in food. It also goes back to my childhood, my mum always bought us treats to watch TV with. My daughter is the opposite, she is very slim,and doesn't understand at all. Many people will say you need to lose weight,so stop eating! It isn't that simple!

Jane43 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:15:00

Jane10. I also started the 18:6 method of fasting after watching programmes featuring Michael Moseley’s research. I do this on weekdays and do not have breakfast, my first meal is around midday and my main meal around 5pm. During the fast period, I.e. 6pm until 8am I only drink water in the evening and black coffee in the morning. have lost a stone so far and need to lose another 7 pounds. It is a great way of cutting calories as well as being very beneficial to the body.

Kim19 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:16:33

No I don't think it's an addiction, Serkeen. In my case it was most certainly an excuse and escape. However the resulting consequences (such as hideous breathlessness when walking) turned me into the coward who could not face mature years with self inflicted health impairments to be added on to any that nature may choose to bestow in due course. Nowadays when I'm one degree under I try to take a country(ish) walk. If this is not possible I phone one of my more uplifting friends. One of these usually does the trick. As a last resort I indulge in fizzy water which reminds me of how I got here in the first place and I hope never to return to. An initial battle indeed but, thankfully, no longer a constant one for me.

JanaNana Mon 16-Oct-17 11:18:38

It sounds like comfort eating....some people cope under periods of stress by overeating, others may lose their appetite. Everyone reacts differently in different sizes situations.

Ellie Anne Mon 16-Oct-17 11:19:38

I am going through a spell of rubbish eating just now. I’m not interested in meals but want cups of tea with a cake or glass of wine with bread and cheese for example. I’m putting on weight which is upsetting me so I understand how you feel. I’m low in myself just now. When I’m happier I can resist these foods more easily.

Jane10 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:30:16

Ooh jane43 18:6 sounds much harder than 16:8!

harrigran Mon 16-Oct-17 11:47:18

How can it be comfort eating when it leads to self loathing and disgust ? There is nothing comfortable about overfilling your stomach.
Prader Willi is a whole different condition, it is a defect on chromosome 15 and not only is there constant hunger but other problems such as type 2 diabetes and autism.
I sit firmly in the other camp, if I am upset I lose my appetite and would probably be physically sick if I carried on.

Jane10 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:52:37

I'm like you harrigran. In a stressful situation I absolutely cannot eat. My appetite just vanishes and I can't even imagine eating.
This doesn't help poor Serkeen though.

pinkjj27 Mon 16-Oct-17 12:06:39

Since my husband died and I lost my support system If anything goes wrong ( which it often does) I just eat and eat I think its because it feel like the only thing I can control but of course I am not in control.I also eat when I am lonely and since he has gone the routine of eating and cooking has gone I tend to just pick. When I am at work or with others this doesn't happen only when I am alone dealing with stress or grief. At work so not had time to read all the posts yet.

Jane43 Mon 16-Oct-17 12:44:16

Jane10 yes 18:6 is hard at first but it is surprising how quickly you get used to it and of course I am asleep for 8 of those hours (hopefully). I am the only one in the family who has always had breakfast so it was hard to get used to foregoing that meal but it is fine now. Since we are retired we have always had lunch at noon, prior to walking the dog, and evening meal around 5 pm so it seemed sensible to do 18:6 otherwise it would have been tempting to snack in the hours after the evening meal, DH suffers from acid reflux so a later evening meal was not a good idea.

My digestion has always been sluggish and I have found it much improved since doing this.

Jane43 Mon 16-Oct-17 12:48:11

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to those of you who are struggling with this problem. I have done in the past so I know what it it like and I hope you are able to overcome it. To those of you who think it is simply a matter of self control or being less greedy please understand that it is much more complex than that.

Imperfect27 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:19:37

Comfort-eating is what comes to mind - not the same as addiction methinks as it is within your control even though you have bouts of over-eating. But as it is something you have recognised and made a connection about, (happens when you are sad/stressed) perhaps you can apply some self-help rules about portioning out food and giving yourself distraction activities instead of eating between meals. Maybe some counselling would also help if you feel that overall it is leading to a health problem?

I know I am inclined to comfort eat now and then, but only rarely, not persistently and when I catch myself being careless, it is for a day maybe and then not for many months. So if this is a recurring problem then it may be wise to seek assistance.

icanhandthemback Mon 16-Oct-17 13:25:13

It is pretty obvious from some of these harsher posts that there is a complete misunderstanding about eating disorders. Just because they don't do it, it doesn't mean it isn't a true and difficult problem to overcome.

Lilyflower Mon 16-Oct-17 13:36:47

Some practical strategies that work for me are as follows:-

-go through your cupboards and throw anything of temptation away (biscuits, cakes, sweets etc,) Don't throw the food somewhere from which you can retrieve it

-when the pangs are felt go out for a walk and stay out until you feel stronger

-shop from a list , not randomly, and only add things you need. No extras and no treats until you feel you can control eating them

-when you get a pang, wait for ten minute, half an hour, an hour. Eke it out and you may well find the urge is gone

-distract yourself. Thinking and unhappiness are encouraging the wish to eat so read a book, listen to the radio or a storytape or phone someone

-if you find food in your hand walk to the bin and put it in with the other rubbish

Then, when you have got a grip plan a nice foody treat that is self contained for 'treat time'. My treat is cake with afternoon tea and I eat virtually no lunch to have it. Treats might be :- a Solero (99calories!), a mince pie, bananas or other fruit and some low cal ice cream, a wrapped biscuit (so you can eat ONE and not finish a packet.) Go with what works for you. If you can't control the treat time skip it altogether.

Finally, weigh yourself every day and respond to the information. If you have put weight on, skip a meal.

Norah Mon 16-Oct-17 14:14:55

I think overeating to be a lack of willpower, not an addiction. More to pushing away than addiction.

Anya Mon 16-Oct-17 14:34:31

Kay I guess it’s what I call the 15:9 system, meaning I don’t eat after 7.00pm or before 10.00am. This means I only alllow myself to eat in that window between 10.00-7.00 during the day.

It’s essy as for about 7-8 hours you are asleep anyway.

Anya Mon 16-Oct-17 14:37:25

PS Jane I adjusted my hours after reading that women do better on 15:9 but to be honest I often forget to eat until nearly lunchtime by which time my tummy starts shouting ‘FEED ME!’ ?