Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

None fiction books for children

(19 Posts)
eazybee Mon 27-Nov-17 11:24:32

Dorling Kindersley books are lovely to look at but not good for sustained reading as text comes in bite-sized chunks. Ask an independent bookshop for advice, or consider illustrated adult books that are accessible, (I'm thinking David Attenborough type companion TV series books) in her interest range, as she apparently has a high reading age.

hildajenniJ Mon 27-Nov-17 09:33:51

We buy Aquila magazine for our granddaughter who is now 10. Her brothers also read it they are 9 and 7. They are being home educated because of difficulties at school as they all have ASD's. They look forward to the magazine coming in the post.

silverlining48 Mon 27-Nov-17 09:27:29

As a. Birthday gift for my about to turn 8 yeAr old gd have also got a 6 month subscription for whizpopbang a monthly scientific based magazine for children 6-11.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-Nov-17 09:26:48

Horrible Histories and Horrible Science are also great

Humbertbear Mon 27-Nov-17 08:04:04

I would suggest The My Story series. They are historical fiction covering Tudors to WWII. My bright 10/11 yr old GD lapped them up. If you want non- fiction Usborne do a range of books in their Younger Reader series. Also, A Mighty Girl on Facebook recommend non- fiction books for girls everyday. They also have a page on Amazon.
One of the books of the year is Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls. Every page has the story of a high achieving woman. Vol II is due shortly.

Jalima1108 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:44:53

That looks really good Gracesgran, I think DGS would love it, but I will have to check first if anyone else would like to chip in.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:40:37

Off to look at these SL. They sound very good. (I might have to read them myselfsmile)

silverlining48 Mon 06-Nov-17 11:52:16

Good night stories for rebel girls. Timbuctoo labs.

100 tales of the life and adventures of extraordinary women. Inspirational.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:03:27

I think she may be a little young Elaine but that is a good one for the future.

ElaineI Fri 03-Nov-17 23:17:40

How about books like "Diary of Anne Frank" etc which are based on historical facts but written as a novel? Or maybe she is too young and might be upset? Horrible Histories are interesting and fun.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:44:54

I thought that was worth looking at Mostly and am wondering if we can divide the Aussie paper between us for my GD and get Aquila for my GS who is seven and definitely needs some none fiction!. They could then swap and read each others and we would be able to send something extra if we wanted too/could afford it. This is looking good!

Aquila is here for anyone looking in on the thread.

mostlyharmless Fri 03-Nov-17 09:35:54

Aquila magazine is a well researched and engaging monthly magazine covering science, history and literary topics. It provides "intelligent reading for 8 to 12 year olds".
My 8 year old grandson loves it. Recent months have featured Harry Potter, dinosaurs, chocolate (very popular), skeletons, The Elizabethans, electricity etc.
Worth a look. The annual subscription is £55.

DK non fiction books are also brilliant.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:31:21

I think the paper may be G70. I have just had a look at the paper he suggested. It's here for anyone looking for presents for Aussie GCs. Looking at the price I think it will be two or three of us who will need to chip in!

I do wonder if there is any online 'paper' or 'magazine' that I could look at as, unless it is an Aussie one there is always postage to consider.

Thank you for your suggestions.

gillybob Fri 03-Nov-17 09:29:04

Hi again GG thought I would share this.

www.dk.com/uk/9780241227848-a-child-through-time/

This is a DK new release I have ordered for my DGD it looks right up her street and shows different periods in history through the child's eyes.

Grandma70s Fri 03-Nov-17 09:20:14

My grandson who is 8 and a half has a subscription to The Week Junior, which interprets current affairs for children, There’s also a magazine called Aquila aimed at that age group. They may be from a British angle, though, and you say she is in Australia.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 03-Nov-17 08:56:16

Thank you - I will look at DK. My son has suggested a local children's paper subscription and National Geographic Kids but there are three of us buying presents so I thought I would look for something a little different. They are in Australia and it is 18 months since they were here. GD recently wrote a piece for her school newsletter and I was really surprised at how extensive her vocabulary is so don't want hit an old target, if you know what I mean.

gillybob Fri 03-Nov-17 08:44:32

I was going to suggest the DK range too. My middle GD is also 9 and sounds similar to yours GG she always has her nose in a book and very much enjoys non fiction (fact based) books . She also enjoys making her own books by gathering facts and pictures and putting them together as a kind of project.

Alima Fri 03-Nov-17 08:38:09

May be worth having a look at what Dorling Kinderseley have available in their range. They do some wonderful books on specific subjects, science, history etc. Our GC are younger but they cater for all ages.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 03-Nov-17 08:23:26

My granddaughter is nine, has a much higher reading age and level of comprehension and is part of her schools gifted and talented programme. Her teachers have suggested that she continue to extend her factual reading, to improve her comprehension further and I wondered if anyone had any none fiction suggestions.

Thank yousmile