Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it but. . . . .

(63 Posts)
Newquay Sun 05-Nov-17 19:33:17

I've never made soup! Don't particularly enjoy cooking and it all seems such a faff instead of just opening a can or packet. I do know home made soup tastes so much better-the ones I've had are gorgeous. Where to begin?

MissAdventure Sun 05-Nov-17 19:50:25

There is a little thread on here, made recently, with some nice, simple recipes. I love soup!

NanaandGrampy Sun 05-Nov-17 19:54:27

I got a Salter Soup Maker a couple of months ago and it’s fabulous!!

You chop up your veggies , stock, whatever , throw it in , 25 mins later =soup!!

I got a Covent Garden Soup Book , a Soup a day . We’ve tried minestrone, pea and ham, tomato, vegetable , chicken mulligatawny etc. Easy, tasty and cheap.

Can’t recommend it too highly!

MissAdventure Sun 05-Nov-17 19:54:36

Its called 'filling soups'. Is this a thread about a thread now? confused

M0nica Sun 05-Nov-17 20:01:58

Bung chopped veg and stock cubes in a saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes. Liquidize or not, depending on whether you like smooth soup or lumpy. Smooth soup usually benefits from stirring in a spoonful of cream, yoghourt or Quark.

Made soup on Friday with a mixed veg pack from Tesco (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower), added an onion, and 2 chicken stock cubes. We like soup lumpy. DGD made cheese scones. Supper sorted.

hildajenniJ Sun 05-Nov-17 21:21:17

Carrot and coriander soup is divine (if you like the flavour of coriander).
1 lb carrots (more or fewer as required)
1 lg onion
1-2 teaspns ground coriander
1. teaspn ground cumin.
1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves chopped.
1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil (or 1oz butter)
1 vegetable stock cube.

Heat oil and fry the onions until translucent and softened but not browned.
Add ground spices to the onions and fry for 30 seconds or so.
Add sliced carrots and one pint vegetable stock.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are soft.
Use a stick blender or put into a blender and whiz until smooth.
Return to pan and add fresh chopped coriander leaves.
Heat until hot but not boiling.
Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt (optional).

hildajenniJ Sun 05-Nov-17 21:22:14

Meant to add season to taste and serve.

Alima Sun 05-Nov-17 21:38:12

No need to be ashamed Newquay. I haven’t made it either, not since the ‘tomato soup’ made in DS at school. God, it was revolting, put me off for life. Good luck with your new venture.

pollyperkins Sun 05-Nov-17 21:46:48

I havent made soup often either and when I did it seemed like a lot of trouble for a dubious result !

mumofmadboys Sun 05-Nov-17 22:13:59

Morphy Richards soup maker. Put ingredients in, switch on, walk dog and 21 minutes later pour soup. Brilliant! Wouldn't be without it!

Bambam Sun 05-Nov-17 22:14:01

Newquay! You must have a go! Soups are sooo easy and if you make a big pan full, as I always do, you can always freeze some.
I've never used a recipe but I always start with a basic onion and celery for any soup I make.

So: chop onion or two, throw in large pan with tiny bit of oil. As soon as pan is hot, I then turn it down to lowest setting while I chop about two or three celery sticks, chuck em in with onion and stir. From now on throw in mostly whatever you want. Carrots if you want ☺, knorr veg cube, then throw a kettle of boiling water over. Simmer about 40mins, add salt and pepper to taste and coriander for last five mins.
Ladle into liquidiser and return to pan. Or get a hand held liquidizer thingy. Serve with blob cream or cremefresh ontop.

Or after onion/celery stage chuck in tin chopped tomatoes and do the same, or throw loads a veg in. It's all fine!
Basically, no rules, just experiment with ingredients and enjoy.

Luckygirl Sun 05-Nov-17 22:14:23

Prep veg, chuck in pan with water and stock, cook for a bit, eat. Not such a faff and better than the MSG ridden rubbish that comes in tins.

Bambam Sun 05-Nov-17 22:25:42

Exactly Luckgirl... It's all so healthy. I've made two pans since Thursday. All family come and help themselves, Ds always calling round and first place he looks is in the fridge.

paddyann Sun 05-Nov-17 22:30:36

fling some ham bones in a large pan of water ,put on the heat,add onion carrotes and red lentils ,cook for an hour or so at a medium heat,take bones out and blitz/blend the soup put back on the heat with a handful of lentils added for texture .Simple and always tastes great.I use smokes ham bones from the butsher or smoked ham ribs

Leticia Sun 05-Nov-17 22:33:12

I have a soup maker. I put everything in, switch on and about 25mins later it beeps and I pour the soup out!
I make it most days in the winter. Carrot and coriander today.

phoenix Sun 05-Nov-17 22:43:37

One thing to remember, you do not need a soup maker, a saucepan and a hand blender will do fine!

Although far from a Domestic Goddess, even I make soup, usually leek & potato, tomato, lentil & bacon, and the ever popular "random vegetable" confused

callgirl1 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:46:35

No need to be ashamed Newquay, until a couple of years ago I`d never made soup either. Then someone on a forum sent me some recipes. I only fancied one, celery, but I vary the ingredients now and again, just for a bit of variety.

MissAdventure Sun 05-Nov-17 22:57:48

All this flinging, bunging, and throwing.. smile

SueDonim Sun 05-Nov-17 23:11:16

Each to their own! If you don't particularly like making something then don't.

You might like this tale from someone I know. Her mother and grandmother were of N African heritage. Weekly, they made filo pastry in the traditional way, which was a massive undertaking as it took the best part of the day beginning early in the morning. As a child, it was annoying because your mum and gran had no time for you and you were shushed out of the kitchen and told to keep out of the way and amuse yourself but not get into mischief.

Then some brigh spark invented factory-made filo, her mother and granny fell upon it with glee and from that day to this neither of them has made so much as a single sheet of filo pastry. grin

BlueBelle Mon 06-Nov-17 05:48:33

Newquay don’t be ashamed, I have occasionally made soup but not often, Why mush veggies up when you can eat them whole I m not that excited by soup to be honest home made, tinned, packets or in restaurants I much prefer crunchy things
I m not very much of a kitchen person

Hm999 Mon 06-Nov-17 10:15:26

Soup makers - genius invention. Robert Dyas did have a special discount on them.

kittylester Mon 06-Nov-17 10:19:54

I'm just making butternut squash and ginger soup. I bought 2 butternut squash and then ran out of time to prep and cook them with the intended meal.

It is really simple and not a soup maker in sight. Halved and deseeded butternut squash brushed with olive oil and maple syrup mixed with ginger paste, salt and pepper and roasted. Meanwhile, slowly fry two finely chopped onions over a low heat, for about 20 mins. Add 2 pints of stock and 1 of millk and bring slowly to the boil. Add the squah flesh and liquidise. Add small cubes of gruyere to serve.

Craftycat Mon 06-Nov-17 10:21:17

Making soup is so easy & once you get started it gets addictive too. I use a large blender as I make it in batches to freeze but a hand blender is just fine so no need to spend loads of money.
Mmm- I feel a Mulligatawny coming on! My favourite is either cauliflower or butternut squash both with stilton- heavy on the cheese.

Kim19 Mon 06-Nov-17 10:27:49

I pretty much have soup on the go all through winter. It's a combination of laziness and joy. Although on my own, I make a large pressure cooker (bought 54 years ago) full and eat my way through it with gusto. If I have chicken base it's broth and ham base for potato. Half an hour from bones to georgeous stock and whilst that is happening I'm chopping veggies. Latter is only onion and potatoes and I'm lazy enough to use baby food jar of strained carrot as I hate grating. The broth tends to be chopped onions, carrot, celery and some pre soaked barley plus strained carrot for colouring. Absolutely yummy and don't have to think what to have all week. Incidentally, I've become a beetroot freak. Any soup recipes, please?

grandMattie Mon 06-Nov-17 10:40:48

I have a basic recipe with variations that I gave DS1 before he went to Uni. They were very popular with his mates. Just ask...