Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Long Lasting - Moisturising Lipstick

(31 Posts)
Myym Wed 06-Dec-17 12:30:16

Hi,
With the effects of getting older and the currant cooler weather which makes skin dry out more I need to look for a better lipstick.
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced lipstick that lasts well throughout the day but doesn't dry lips or go clumpy around the edges?

newnanny Tue 12-Dec-17 15:02:02

I am just so impressed you are so far ahead not only with gift buying but wrapped too. I still have several to get. I was going yesterday but snow stopped me, now bad ice today. I hate wrapping so put off to Christmas Eve. Could you get another, keep receipt and if first one turns up take it back for refund?

LuckyFour Sun 10-Dec-17 18:00:41

Best lipstick is Max Factor Lipfinity. IVe been using it for a few years, nice colours and it lasts all day. I never leave my bedroom without applying it first. Makes me feel better.

f77ms Sun 10-Dec-17 09:24:31

chickenlegs they are genuine , they only cost around £7 normally . I used to use the long lasting, two stage lipsticks but found they were very drying even when you use the top coat constantly . My lips were actually sore and rough so I had to stop using them . I have a Lancôme one now which seems to last a bit longer than others .

lemongrove Sun 10-Dec-17 09:17:09

Barry M every time! buy online.They stay on for ages, even after meals out or drinks.

chickenlegs Sun 10-Dec-17 09:06:59

Maybelline 24hr lipstick is on lots of ebay offers for four or five pounds. Do you think they are genuine, or could they be fakes?

pen50 Sat 09-Dec-17 20:39:51

Another vote for Lipcote here; I use it every day over a frosted Mac lipstick and it seems to last pretty much all day.

Parsleywin Sat 09-Dec-17 19:06:35

I've been getting longer-lasting lippy by applying over a lip primer. I thought I'd try a cheap one before possibly going upmarket, and have to say I've been pleased with one from Primark.

I think the other trick is to apply several light coats of lipstick - with a finger or lip brush - and blot on a folded tissue after each application. This definitely lasts better than one thick coat applied straight from the bullet.

Silverlining47 Sat 09-Dec-17 18:47:51

Look Fabulous Forever lipsticks really last well and feel lovely on.

Revis Sat 09-Dec-17 16:53:00

Maybelline 24 hrs for me every time. If it looks a bit dry after several hours just use the moisturiser bit again

pamdixon Sat 09-Dec-17 15:06:52

I find MAC lipsticks very good - they have a huge range of colours and are not too expensive either

Stella14 Sat 09-Dec-17 14:53:06

I love these by Guerlain. They are lovely and moisturising and great colours, but they are expensive. £35 at most places, £28 at www.allbeauty (free delivery).
www.allbeauty.com/gb/en/1150135-guerlain-rouge-g-de-guerlain-lipstick?abref=GoogleShoppingCs&utm_source=%7Badtype%7D&utm_medium=FREE&ref=%7Badtype%7D&¤cy=GBP&country=48&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6J6zi5b91wIV7hXTCh2oKgs-EAQYAiABEgLMJvD_BwE

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Dec-17 12:15:08

I use Lancôme or Clinique. they aren't cheep but the lipstick stays on and they last for years, so qute a good buy.

freyja Sat 09-Dec-17 11:32:48

The best makeup range I have discover is
'look fabulous forever' this range of makeup has been specially designed for the older skin. They are an online site which has tutorials, tips and advise. I can't prize it enough. The lady who owns it is 68 and was tired of the products on the market. All the models used in the tutorials are 60 plus. Anyway, I can't praise it enough, it is well worth a visit on www.lookfabulousforever.com

bml Sat 09-Dec-17 10:23:51

Love Maybelline 24 hour lipstick, really lasts all day, would buy nothing else now

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 09-Dec-17 10:21:04

Any of the two step ones are great because the second step is the moisturising bit and you can reapply it throughout the day without looking in the mirror. It's just like using a lip balm.

Lindylo Sat 09-Dec-17 10:19:27

I find Clinique is very good

Teetime Sat 09-Dec-17 10:17:30

I have both kinds of Clarins lipstick but also the Lip Oil to use at bedtime or days when you aren't going out and can give your lips a treat.

Jane43 Sat 09-Dec-17 10:14:58

The Max Factor Lipfinity is good. It does tend to dry your lips but comes with a separate stick of moisturiser. Lipcote is very good over any lipstick, I have used it for over 20 years; it also dries your lips. Matte lipsticks tend to last longer on me, other types just disappear within minutes.

I have found that a lip pencil helps to stop bleeding, Clinique and Body Shop pencils work best for me and don’t drag the skin like some other brands.

Hepopal Sat 09-Dec-17 10:11:25

Bobby Brown crushed lipcolour

mischief Sat 09-Dec-17 09:51:01

Maybelline Super Stay 24 lip colour every time. Doesn't 'bleed' either which is crucial for me.

Smithy Fri 08-Dec-17 20:43:21

Max Factor infinity I'd meant to be good, haven't yet trued out though.

loopyloo Fri 08-Dec-17 20:11:24

I like the Rimmel moisturising lipsticks. And they are quite cheap. But haven't lipsticks become expensive? Most seem to be at least £10.

Blinko Fri 08-Dec-17 19:54:10

Barry M does a good lipstick that stays on. It's green but goes red/pink when applied.

Gmala Fri 08-Dec-17 18:45:22

Yes Teetime, Clarins True Aubergine ? save my boots points and look out for offers.

Welshwife Fri 08-Dec-17 18:31:12

Is the Clarins a normal type of lipstick or a wand/liquid type please?