Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

what to get for those over seas

(8 Posts)
Cath9 Sat 09-Dec-17 08:00:57

Hi,
As I know some of you have families who live in far off shores I would like to know what you have done this year for their Christmas presents?
My son's family live in NZ and I used to send him money so that he could then get what he wants. But with the poind so low it has now become expenive to do it that way. also everyhting I think of I just cannot find where to get it in NZ

Cath

Oldwoman70 Sat 09-Dec-17 08:27:30

I have family in Australia and I go online and order from Australian companies who deliver. Do you know the name of a local big store, or try google.

Humbertbear Sat 09-Dec-17 09:14:52

We had friends who got married and moved to Canada so I bought them a store voucher from a local department store which was posted to them by the store. However buying from NZ companies from the UK will still involve the low pound

grannyactivist Sat 09-Dec-17 12:19:30

Wine tasting and lunch at a NZ winery, Spa day at a salon in their village, money towards their next trip home, books from the book depository (no postage charges) - and then I spend up to £20 sending bits and bobs in the post because I need to connect with them physically in some way! Duh! confused

CassieJ Sat 09-Dec-17 15:34:40

My son is in Canada and we mostly do Amazon vouchers via Amazon. CA . It works well for us.

I used to post parcels, but the post is so expensive now it's better with the vouchers.

Ilovecheese Sat 09-Dec-17 16:03:35

We buy books because books are expensive in Australia, we post them and hang the expense of postage!

(Then we get told off for spending so much on postage)

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Dec-17 16:34:30

Amazon is not really great in Australia and NZ - anything ordered has to come from America.

I posted some very light things to Australia and came out £31 lighter. Now, even with the exchange rate not being so good now, that £31 could have gone towards presents. However, the things I sent were unique.

I noticed some cheaper book stores have now opened up in Australia in the larger centres - although I agree about the cost of recently published books there.

Coolgran65 Sat 09-Dec-17 19:58:18

I use Amazon.com to send toys to dgs (4 years) for direct delivery in the USA. That way I can send heavier toys such as lego, transformers, basketball hoop for the wall etc.

As mentioned previously I also like to send a package for the personal touch. Up to 2kg can go for up to £24 pro rata. So I shop very carefully with regard to weight, always on the lookout.

This year I've sent a beautiful hand crafted scarf and hat, They are featherlight and presented in the crafter's printed box with crafter's 'card'. Also a leather coin tray made of leather hide which is metal riveted in the corners to make it into the square shape. A cast iron bottle opener forged locally with the name of the blacksmith. And an aran cardigan and matching bobble hat for dgs (4) together with a couple of T shirts depicting local events.

Just scraped in under the 2kg and was able to pack spaces with Tayto crisps which are made locally. smile