Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do vegans wear wool?

(266 Posts)
phoenix Wed 03-Jan-18 17:35:33

Well, just that, really. I know that (most) don't wear leather shoes, obviously you can only get leather from a dead animal (ooh, just thought, they could have garments made from snakeskin, providing it had been shed/sloughed) smile

But what about wool?

Pamted Sun 07-Jan-18 18:16:43

Baggs I am not assuming any form of moral superiority and apologise if anything I have said has been taken in a way that was not intended.

It has been mentioned several times in newspaper articles, and on the TV that one of the ways to help the planet is to eat less animal based products - please note I said less - that does not mean that I am in any way superior by not eating many animal products, as there are other ways that I contribute towards the harming of the planet. As I mentioned in my post I feel better, more healthy so chose vegan food for a purely selfish reason. This honesty has got me into trouble with some people in the past.

But I am still astounded by the attacks that vegans are subjected to simply because of their food choice. If someone starts to proslytise about it - then you have the chance to debate, but for simply chosing to eat differently? Really?

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Jan-18 18:23:30

Paid up member of CiWF. Eat meat. Just very picky as to where it comes from. I have big problems with fish as I don’t like the way it dies. Although having seen the way pelican, heron etc, eat fish they’re doomed to suffer anyway.

durhamjen Sun 07-Jan-18 18:24:52

In fact ciwf suggest that everybody's meat consumption should reduce by 50% by 2050, no matter what sort or how much meat you eat at the moment, in order to reduce factory farming and climate change.
Have you read Farmageddon?

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Jan-18 18:26:41

No, too depressing!

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 07-Jan-18 18:30:39

SueDonim as a vegetarian I agree it's a halfway house. My biggest concern is dairy products. I do look for alternatives, but at the moment this is where I am. I am focusing on the non-dietary things I buy.

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Jan-18 18:32:11

I don’t like the blanket, you should reduce by 50% regardless. I only have the old fashioned 4 ounces of meat, and only eat meat around four days a week. So I think I’ve already cut down by 50%! And I like meat. I don’t want to be vegetarian and definitely not vegan. Now if those people who order 10 ounce steaks cut down a bit I’d be more impressed.

Oh, and I also enjoy venison. And, as my farming friend says, if we don’t eat the bambi’s there’ll be no reason to let them run free eating all the crops.

durhamjen Sun 07-Jan-18 18:32:25

How many members are there of ciwf, Nfk? Just out of interest. It doesn't seem to say on their website.
I am sure it used to have its head office in Petersfield when we lived in Hampshire. It must have moved.

durhamjen Sun 07-Jan-18 18:34:26

Bambis in Norfolk?
Are they the Muntjac deer? They are small enough as it is; surely you can't eat their bambis?

SueDonim Sun 07-Jan-18 18:37:07

I don't mention veganism in that quotation. It was wrt their eschewing of any non-natural products e.g. plastics, drugs and so on.

durhamjen Sun 07-Jan-18 18:51:20

Nitpicking. You said they were vegan, too, and wondered if they only wore wellies as they don't wear animal products and don't like using manmade.

When I had the guest house, I had to make sure there were no woollen carpets in the rooms, and no feather bedding or mattresses.
Not because I was vegan then, but because there were vegans coming to stay.
Hadn't thought about the mattresses at first, but lots of them have wool, cotton, or even silk.

How was I to know you were not being as sarcastic about the mattress as you were about their footwear?

Baggs Sun 07-Jan-18 19:13:38

I would contend that there is room for people of all diets to live in harmony

This is my view too, pamted. I don't believe that veganism is better for the planet even though I agree that there are some very bad farming practices. I think the way to go is the way of Compassion in World Farming.

If people want to be vegan or vegetarian that's fine by me but I don't feel I need to know what a person's eating choices are unless it's my job to feed them.

I wasn't accusing you of moral superiority. Sorry if it came over like that. I just meant that the "better for the planet" argument comes over like that. To me, anyway.

Harmony it is then smile

durhamjen Sun 07-Jan-18 19:21:01

What bits of science that say not eating meat is better for the planet do you disagree with, Baggs?

Baggs Sun 07-Jan-18 20:25:50

www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/aug/16/veganism-not-key-sustainable-development-natural-resources-jimmy-smith

SueDonim Sun 07-Jan-18 20:40:00

You read what you like into, Durhamjen.

And what's wrong with wellies anyway? Good sturdy footwear that I imagine is v practical on their land.

SueDonim Sun 07-Jan-18 20:40:42

Into *it.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 07-Jan-18 21:02:06

I just wanted to add that although I've been vegetarian for a long time now, my husband is not. I made the decision to become fully vegetarian at the millennium, so for almost 18 years of our marriage it's been normal to have a vegetarian and a meat eater in the house. It's second nature now and never causes problems.

Just let people make their own choices.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 07-Jan-18 22:00:48

Baggs I'd forgotten about that article, so I appreciate you posting the link. It really highlights the fact that our own circumstances can be so different to others. The report the article links to is not particularly easy to read, but for me the article and the report together highlight the fact that one solution does not work for everyone - and that one solution is veganism.

A subsistence farmer can not be compared with factory farming. This is the reality of the world we live in today. So we each make our own choices and try to live a good life.

durhamjen Sun 07-Jan-18 22:15:17

Written by the director general of the International Livestock Research Institute?
He's not going to talk himself out of a job, is he?

Alexa Mon 08-Jan-18 11:53:16

Would some helpful gran please tell me where on the GN forums, possibly on the Health forum, I can post a recommendation about the following article in today's Guardian? It is accurate and lucid. It's so well written and sorely needed that I have bought the author's book from the Guardian book store(reduced price store).

www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jan/07/johann-hari-depression-brain-lost-connections-book-interview

I have initiated a new topic previously but I seem to have forgotten how to do it.

janeainsworth Mon 08-Jan-18 12:05:44

alexa if you’re on the mobile site, tap on forums, then tap on health.
Scroll to the bottom where the maroon buttons are.
The middle one is ‘add a thread’. Tap on that.
Hope that helps.

NfkDumpling Mon 08-Jan-18 17:16:43

You're right DJ, CiWF website doesn't really give any figures on its Annual Review page. I feel sure the figures (donations, money in/out) should be available. Should we be suspicious?

Lots of deer in Norfolk. Muntjac, Roe, Chinese Water Deer, Red deer and I believe a few Fallow in the west. They're becoming a bit of a problem eating crops. There are more road kill deer than there are pheasants! Apparently the only way to stop farmers killing them to exterminate them is to eat a few and make them profitable. We've upset the balance. Perhaps having a mix of vegan, vegetarian and omnivore is the answer.

Baggs Mon 08-Jan-18 17:45:22

CIWF is a charity. It will have to submit audited accounts to the Charity Commission.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 18:44:08

On the other site, Alexa, click on forums, click on health and a yellow box will come up saying 'Start a New Discussion' - click on that and choose a heading.

You may have done that already, of course smile

Alexa Mon 08-Jan-18 19:29:42

Janeainsworth and Jalima, thanks. Did it.

Alexa Mon 08-Jan-18 19:43:26

I agree that meat eating has to be greatly reduced. Dairy too. I can afford to pay more for meat and dairy but most people cannot afford to do so. Our nutrition is closely connected to our incomes. Two things are essential:

1. Meat and dairy hugely increased in price for animal welfare, decreased consumption, and better quality(eg. no prophylactic antibiotics).

2, Basic minimum wage so that every person can afford to buy and eat decent food.