Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can I keep it alive?

(50 Posts)
LyndaW Thu 25-Jan-18 12:09:38

Hello, my poinsettia has lasted since the beginning of December. It's looking a little lacklustre now though but I wondered if anyone has anyone managed to keep one going year round?

auntbett Wed 31-Jan-18 11:08:54

Never succeeded in keeping one. If I get one as a gift (don't tell anyone) I just pass it on to save me the disappointment of watching it go into decline.

123kitty Tue 30-Jan-18 23:51:28

Horrid things

blubber Mon 29-Jan-18 20:14:55

I had one for years. I put it in the downstairs bathroom window (we are rural so no street lights) and it went red every year

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-Jan-18 09:29:04

Well, I’m a Friend of Poinsettias grin, and always just leave them on the windowsills and water them when needed till the flowers shrivel and die, usually around April. They’re pretty good value for a couple of quid!

pollyperkins Sun 28-Jan-18 08:21:35

Wow Gabriella, that's amazing!

Lilypops Sat 27-Jan-18 22:03:52

I really don't like pointsettias much and I dislike them even more when they hang around after Xmas,, I can't just throw it on the compost but I wish it would just die off then I wouldn't feel guilty, Give me a pot of Hyacinths any day,

Matthew1 Sat 27-Jan-18 21:46:20

I have had mine 4 years and its HUGE - just turning red (nothing that I have done) ???????

Purpledaffodil Sat 27-Jan-18 19:40:59

American friend said they are Christmas decorations and should be discarded after Christmas! So I do. However last year’s was so weedy I didn’t have one this year and went for a big indoor cyclamen instead which is still looking healthy and not as Christmassy as a poinsettia. ?

Morgana Sat 27-Jan-18 18:37:02

Have a poinsettia from last Christmas. It had red leaves this Christmas too but smaller ones. Unfortunately now looking a bit sick, think I over watered it. Re orchids I have managed to kill many in the past, but a friend's husband told me to only water once a month by completely immersing pot in water for an hour. My orchid is still alive and has new shoots. So far!!

megbelle Sat 27-Jan-18 18:14:53

I have had mine for five years now it is at least 3 ft and very bushy I keep it in my kitchen and only water it with tepid water and feed

GabriellaG Sat 27-Jan-18 15:22:46

Here's the poinsetta taken 5 mins ago.

GabriellaG Sat 27-Jan-18 15:21:01

Bought this mid Dec and water once a week. I like cool weather so sitting-room is usually 17c or lower. I don't put on windowsill as radiator is there and outside temp fluctuates. It's doing ok atm. I prefer paler colour in flowers and plants in Spring so I might put this outdoors in the mini greenhouse with the small lemon and orange trees which survived outside ìn snow. I'm no gardener but love plants and flowers so I turn to Google and a local garden centre for tips and advice. Surprisingly, I cut back a straggly winter rose, very harshly, last year and it's produced an abundance of beautiful pink flowers since early Dec.

chrissyh Sat 27-Jan-18 14:57:10

Wish I could put a photo on here as took one of my poinsettia in June last year and it was still beautiful and I definitely don't have green fingers - think it just liked the position on the kitchen windowsill. I went away in July and left in in the (capable?) hands of my DD. Came home to a few stems with a couple of leaves. This year's still in full flow but going away soon. DD has said she will have it but will not be responsible for the outcome. Between the devil and the deep blue sea as it will definitely die if left in the cold house unwatered for over 2 weeks.

Lisalou Sat 27-Jan-18 14:12:53

As i understand it, the dark thing is a bit of an urban legend. Remember these are outdoor plants in the tropics, so they want plenty of light, and warmth. They don't always like heating in houses though, as it is dry, not damp, as it would be in the tropics. I have seen these in the Canary Islands prosper and of course, continue year on year, as it never frosts.

Frannytoo Sat 27-Jan-18 13:30:18

I have had one for 15 months. It is huge and flourishing but no red bracts. I will try the 12 hour lighting regime using a black bin bag to cover it for the required hours. I am so glad this problem is being discussed.

goose1964 Sat 27-Jan-18 12:54:27

I kept one for two winters and then it died

grannyactivist Sat 27-Jan-18 12:47:26

My mother in law keeps these going year on year and I have no idea how she does it. I have two in my porch that are still going, but looking rather woebegone now. Similarly I can't keep an orchid alive, but one I bought for my mother in law years ago continues to flower beautifully. I think they respond to her lovely nature. smile

Camelotclub Sat 27-Jan-18 12:24:17

'Friends of Poinsettias' sounds like a strange activist movement.

Camelotclub Sat 27-Jan-18 12:23:35

Sorry! Meant 'Friends OR poinsettias'!

Camelotclub Sat 27-Jan-18 12:23:08

Eloethan

Friends of poinsettias?!

trendygran Sat 27-Jan-18 11:41:21

I have had a poinsettia since December 2016 -a birthday gift from a friend. It has produced a lot of new growth since the original red leaves died off and is now showing three new red leaves - small but definitely red. All I’ve done is water it so I am both pleased and surprised.
A poinsettia I bought locally last Christmas shrivelled after just a few days-wonder if it was the red ‘sparkle’ which had been sprayed onto it.

gillyknits Sat 27-Jan-18 11:34:47

I have the same problem with orchids. Once all the flowers die off there is never have another glimmer of life!

Margs Sat 27-Jan-18 11:09:30

Give it a hefty dose of Baby Bio - that livens up anything!

carolmary Sat 27-Jan-18 10:50:30

Benign neglect works! I don't like them much either! Had one for several years watered when I remembered it, but otherwise left it alone. It thrived! I pruned it occasionally.

Bathsheba Sat 27-Jan-18 10:32:16

Rogue ‘and’ in there. And year, not yea! Preview, preview, preview!!