Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where do you go to let off steam

(58 Posts)
hopeful1 Sat 03-Feb-18 15:48:38

I've had an arguement with the entire family and stormed off in the car. Now sitting in Sainsburys car park wondering what to do next. I don't have any friends to share my problem with so will stay here til I feel better! Childish I know, and I do feel a bit stupid, but I need a bit of space. What do you do in your moment of angst?

farview Sat 03-Feb-18 18:42:06

Go up on the Moors,5mins away,sit,think,try to calm down...OR go the wine rack ??

lemongrove Sat 03-Feb-18 18:46:00

Gardening is therapeutic ( although maybe not in Feb) so perhaps a walk is the best idea.

Christinefrance Sat 03-Feb-18 18:47:05

Stay at home and make everyone suffer, bang things down, huff and puff and generally let it be known I am not happy,smile

gillybob Sat 03-Feb-18 19:09:17

I always head for the beach hopeful1

It doesn’t matter on the time of the day or night or even the weather. I sometimes plod through the sand with tears tripping me up and all sorts of thoughts running through my mind . I talk it all over with myself and find it helps.

I do hope you quickly make it up with your family and that you feel better .

NannyTee Sat 03-Feb-18 19:13:11

I used to walk the streets till my anger/upset subsided. Don't seem to have any need these days now it's just the two of us. Take care though when driving upset .

Marydoll Sat 03-Feb-18 19:34:35

I once took myself off for the day, getting a train into town and not telling anyone where I was going. No-one missed me, they were so grateful for the peace and quiet!grin

cornergran Sat 03-Feb-18 20:30:41

The beach for me or if I can’t get there I develop a strong urge to tidy the loft. I know I get peace and quiet there. It’s very tidy just now hmm.

annsixty Sat 03-Feb-18 20:57:14

When first married we had a tiled hall floor.
When things were fraught it was the shiniest floor imaginable.
Later I would go for a long walk and sort my head out. My H has never, ever ,admitted to being wrong, so I would have forgotten the wrong by the time I got back.
Now, I have POA as my H has Alzheimer's, so when he upsets me I buy something I fancy and feel fully justified.
Is this evil?

Chewbacca Sat 03-Feb-18 21:03:59

Nope annsixty, that's not evil; that's therapy!

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Feb-18 21:06:41

Never say never, but not usually any more!
I once went to Glastonbury and sat at the Chalice Well for a while which put everything into perspective. Such a lovely, peaceful place.

No annsixty, whatever makes you feel better.

annsixty Sat 03-Feb-18 21:07:45

Thank you Chewbacca any thing you fancy??

farview Sat 03-Feb-18 21:35:12

No annsixty that's not wrong..I have a 'am always right H' and it's soul destroying..

annodomini Sat 03-Feb-18 22:03:36

I ran out of steam years ago. grin

farview Sat 03-Feb-18 22:12:54

Ooh annodomini. NOOOO!! don't run out of steam.. I never will...?

Cherrytree59 Sat 03-Feb-18 22:35:45

Now I go in the garden

When children at home the loo.
Only had one toilet so eventually I had to come out.

I have also been known to climb a small hill near where we used to live and just sit on the rock at the top.

MawBroon Sat 03-Feb-18 23:46:00

I once stormed out of our Greenwich flat in the early weeks of our marriage (first BIG row) and took myself off to Greenwich Park to let off steam, imagining that Paw would come after me, apologise and we’d kiss and make up under the trees (cue smoochy music)
After about an hour there was no sign of him so I sulkily crept back to be greeted with “Did you have a nice walk then?”
Was he totally unaware of my strop or being very, very clever?
Alas I shall never know now.sad
More recently I have favoured Mollie’s Waitrose option , at least that way I get a brew and a cupcake

ginny Sun 04-Feb-18 02:09:38

I have always thought ranting and raving only make the person doing it look ridiculous. Much better to take a deep breath, say we will have to agree to disagree then walk away. Luckily don’ t have to do this much.

absent Sun 04-Feb-18 02:29:52

I don't often lose it but if I do I find swimming very therapeutic. Otherwise, I butter a couple of cream crackers and hurl them against a mirror. Of course, I have to clean it afterwards but it always releases tension and makes me laugh.

Teetime Sun 04-Feb-18 10:40:23

I am much calmer these days but if I really have a burning angst there is nothing like the golf course for me- you can really let go in a bunker.grin

Juggernaut Sun 04-Feb-18 11:11:42

It's pointless having a strop in front of any member of my family, they just laugh at me!
That of course makes me even more angry, but I soon give up and laugh with them.
I'm very lucky to have a family who seem to fix everything with silliness and laughter!

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Feb-18 11:16:22

Otherwise, I butter a couple of cream crackers and hurl them against a mirror.
grin
I'll think of that if I get miffed in future, although I may not try it!

merlotgran Sun 04-Feb-18 11:19:42

Knowing my luck if I buttered a couple of cream crackers to hurl at a mirror, I'd drop them, they'd land butter side down and I'd probably tread on them as well. hmm

inishowen Sun 04-Feb-18 12:04:00

If I'm really upset I go and lie on my bed, or have a sob in the bathroom. After 44 years of marriage we manage to avoid upsets usually. I wish I was one of those people who ironed to feel better! It would be much more productive.

Daisymay1 Sun 04-Feb-18 12:47:16

I take a good few deep breathes and try to let the anger flow out of me . Life's to short to argue . Not always easy but I find mindfulness helps x

DanniRae Sun 04-Feb-18 13:24:12

I used to take to my bed, cry and feel sorry for myself. Now as there is only the two of us when we have a row I give as good as I get, storm off and slam a few doors till I feel ok again. Later he will say "Do you want a cup of tea?" and all is ok again (till the next time!!)