Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I let the police give them a warning?

(68 Posts)
Sourcerer48 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:27:58

A couple of days ago there was a ring on my door, a strange young man was standing there and in a most aggressive manner asked me to move my car as he could not get his £11,000 car into his parking. When I asked why he had such an aggressive attitude he turned his back and said just move your car.
My car was in my personal parking and there was actually plenty of room, when I said so this man said yes but when you drive out you will hit my £9000(?) car. I replied that I actually had a driver's license!
It then went from bad to worse, his boyfriend came over and the two of them were like bristling dogs. The first man then said he was a trainee policeman, well, I said, you should know better and it's appalling that the two of you are ganging up and bullying an old woman like me.
The long and short of it was, a neighbour advised me to call 101 and report the matter to the police as I live alone and these two men live right next door.
This I did and found to my surprise that they took it seriously and will be coming round to take a statement.
My question here is should I let the police give them a warning or just let it be and have the incident on record in case anything further occurs?
I'm just afraid of what they might do if they know the police are involved.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sat 10-Feb-18 09:37:51

What is it with people thinking that because you have a few grey hairs that they can speak to you like you are an idiot! My son always laughs when I get cross as posts like this and says "well they'd be too scared to try it with you mum". I will not put up with this sort of behavigour and yes had he not stopped after a frank exchange of views then I definitely would get the police involved and ensure they were told he was a trainee police officer (my arse). Bullies need sorting and you did the right thing first time flowers

merlotgran Sat 10-Feb-18 09:44:41

I do hope the OP returns with an update.

harrigran Sat 10-Feb-18 09:46:33

Police do take complaints like this seriously. In our town we are able to report anti social behaviour and they take action. In our street police have got an eviction order for a couple who disturb the peace on a regular basis.

AmMaz Sat 10-Feb-18 09:46:46

Having gone this far in asserting your position this isn't the time to now get cold feet is it? You involved Police presumably because you felt threatened and you want to continue living within a just system not rule by bullies or the richest (whoever has the most expensive car).
Time to stand up for your (our) values.

TillyWhiz Sat 10-Feb-18 09:48:33

We have had to contact the police because of attempted intimidation and the bullies have been dealt with accordingky with no further problem from them. Bullies always need standing up to and the police will do that for you.

catwoman Sat 10-Feb-18 09:51:05

Let the police read what you wrote here. It has all the facts. Do hope this can be sorted amicably for future better relations between you & your neighbours. You did right to report it.

peaches50 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:52:18

I'd have my friendly neighbour or better family member with me when they come for your statement for support. My blood boils to read this - what happened to respecting your elders? Pity so much 'road' rage exists over their (usually men alas) stupid phallic symbols a big shiny car - whoo hoo! Good on you, proud you would not be intimidated. Any sniff of retribution after the 'chat' make sure you don't roll over but take it further.

ajanela Sat 10-Feb-18 10:07:33

I wonder if steroids could be a problem. Just an idea with 2 guys being so aggressive. Did you move your car or adjust how it was parked?

Let the police advise you.

Sourcerer48 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:09:21

Thank you all for your great advice.
I'm seeing our local PCSO next week and will be guided by his recommendation. (He came and took the registration number of the car so will no doubt learn if this man is actually a trainee policeman or not)
Luckily another neighbour heard the whole thing as he was having a smoke in his garden (did not intervene of course!), so at least I have a 'witness'.
I'm not the type to 'roll over' and am not easily intimidated, (ex army/nurse) but these young men need to learn this type of behaviour is never acceptable.

Fabulous50s Sat 10-Feb-18 10:10:49

I am going to jump straight to your last sentence, as I can imagine the churning feeling in your stomach when you think about what these two “gentlemen” might do next, and how frightening this must be.
Reporting them was the right thing, we have to stand up against bullies and antisocial behaviour scary though it is, especially as you live alone.

harrysgran Sat 10-Feb-18 10:10:49

Well done good for you standing up to the bullies let the police decide this is bullying that could easily turn to harassment if they think they can get away with it.

GabriellaG Sat 10-Feb-18 10:11:19

Don't forget to mention that one of them said he was a probationsry police officer. To impersonate a police officer is an offence. To couple that with bullying tactics is serious. I hope they are given a formal warning but do tell the police who visit you, that you feel worried that there may be repercussions.
Maybe you could have an audio visual device fitted which enables you to see and speak with visitors without opening your door.
Age concern or police could advise whether financial help is available to purchase and fit one.
Take care.flowers

DaisyMig Sat 10-Feb-18 10:25:57

The thing is, if the bullies treated you this way then they’ve most likely treated others this way too. Someone has to stand up to them to stop them before their behaviour escalates.
One other point though, you say that a ‘strange young man’ came to your door, and then later said that the bullies were neighbours. I’m wondering if they were new neighbours, hence being strangers, or if they were not neighbours at all but had some other nefarious motive for trying to get you out of your house.
Well done for reporting them: it could be that the police have received previous reports about them but not been able to catch up with them and yours could be the one that gets them dealt with.
Sadly it seems that age or infirmity is no protection against bullies, rather it is an attraction to them as they are cowards who seek out the vulnerable rather than those who look like they could be more of a challenge physically.

Nanny41 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:29:55

You did the right thing informing the Police, now it is up to them. IF the young man is a trainee Police he obviously hasnt come to the part of training for anger management, he is just a bully. Good luck Sourcerer 48

Craftycat Sat 10-Feb-18 10:37:26

I think you dd absolutely the right thing. I look forward to hear what the police say. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they have a word with him! If he really is a trainee police officer- which I doubt- I suggest he is in the wrong job!

antheacarol55 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:40:11

You did the right thing let the police deal with it because if you let it go it will get worse believe me I know .
We ignored the first damage to our car but after 2nd time we put cameras up because of damage to our car due to foul neighbour who also damaged 3 other neighbours cars
We needed proof that it was her doing it .She is under asbo order for a year now ..

merlotgran Sat 10-Feb-18 10:41:02

Sourcerer, In a thread you started last year you said you live in a housing complex. Is it owned by a housing association? If so you could report them to the HA.

Coconut Sat 10-Feb-18 10:41:29

This is harassment and intimidation and you have def done the right thing. If they can behave like that instead of common civility they will probably be the types that get off on bulling people, so let the Police deal with them. If he genuinely is a trainee police officer then he seriously needs to sort his attitude out.

Sourcerer48 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:45:08

Thanks, DaisyMig: re the strange young man being a neighbour. A woman and her son in his twenties live next door (my house is the middle of 3 terraced houses), this other man apparently moved in with him a few months ago, although I had never actually seen him face to face which is why he was a stranger to me.

Sourcerer48 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:49:47

Merlot Grans - thanks for remembering my thread and although I do live in a complex all the houses are either owned or rented, as is mine from a private landlord.

Sourcerer48 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:51:19

Sorry,
should have read merlotgran!

GrannyHaggis Sat 10-Feb-18 11:37:58

Could you take photographs of the parking bays, preferably with the cars parked, so that the space between cars can be seen? Have your neighbours got one of those Chelsea tractors? They need 2 parking spaces rather than one! Horrible situation to be in especially with next door neighbours. Maybe they'll move to somewhere with their own large drive!

GadaboutGran Sat 10-Feb-18 11:42:34

Sourcerer48, what a brilliant role model you are for standing your ground so assertively. Always best to take action with bullies immediately to nip it in the bud and show your strength. My only concern is that it is a PCSO coming to see you. Better than no one and many are excellent and better than full PCs but if you have any doubts about his/her actions, don’t leave it there.

driverann Sat 10-Feb-18 12:04:54

Under no circumstances allow yourself to be bullied or intimidated by these low life yobs. It’s good that you have contacted the police the police will do a background check on these idiots to find out who they are and whether they have any history of this sort of thing or anything else that might be of interest. The police will not need to speak to them to find the information there are ways and means. On the other hand the police may want to speak to them and if one is saying he is a trainee police officer [ probably a lie] it is a criminal offence to impersonate a police officer trainee or not. If you have an allocated parking space for your address then as long as you parked within it you are not causing anyone a problem.

ruthjean Sat 10-Feb-18 12:07:07

I think that once the police have' marked their card' they will think twice about crossing you again! Go Sorcerer!