Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wearing varifocals and looking at screens

(62 Posts)
Tippy22 Sat 17-Feb-18 13:38:56

I wear varifocal glasses and I find I am constantly adjusting them when i am looking at my phone or tablet because i am looking down whereas when my eyes are tested I am looking straight ahead. Do any of you have the same problem. When i mentioned it to my optician the last time I had my eyes checked he could offer no solution. I suggested perhaps I should have 2 pairs of glasses instead of varifocals but he said after all the years I had been wearing varifocals it wouldn't be advisable for me. Any helpful solutions would be welcome.

shysal Mon 19-Feb-18 07:59:07

The pair of very expensive varifocals that I bought 3 years ago and couldn't manage were from a private optician. I did tell him I had vertigo so they were 'less swim', so perhaps he concentrated on that rather than my need to use the laptop.

NanaPlenty Mon 19-Feb-18 08:21:58

Go back - insist you aren't seeing properly, glasses are expensive and it's miserable when they aren't right for you. The optician should check what position you read in I.e. Where you hold a book and check you can read the print ok at that distance. Goood luck I hope you get it sorted out.

Christinefrance Mon 19-Feb-18 08:28:19

I tried varifocals some years ago and had the 'swimmy' problems etc so I went back to bifocals. This year I spoke to my optician and asked if I should try again. He felt that as my bifocals worked well for me there was no need to change. If its not broke don't mend it .

Rosiebee Mon 19-Feb-18 09:01:22

I tried varifocals but they made me feel "seasick" whenever I moved. Opticians changed them for ordinary glasses and I now have reading, intermediate and distance glasses. Three pairs to lose now, drives DH nuts especially as I've kept previous pairs as back ups. We have a small console table with a designated glasses drawer but it's usually empty as they are scattered around house.blush

hereshoping Mon 19-Feb-18 12:10:04

I had that problem once only. Had to have my eyes retested and the prescription changed. Then OK.
So ask to have your eyes retested.
Was it Boots? I've had problems there with my and my daughters prescription.

annemac101 Mon 19-Feb-18 13:41:39

I have varifocals and can use them with iPad or reading for short amounts of time but I also have reading glasses which I use for longer. I bought single vision sunglasses and have no problem wearing those outside.

luzdoh Mon 19-Feb-18 14:52:17

Tippy22 How I wish there were a solution! I still feel as if I'm going to fall downstairs/steps as I look down through the 'reading' part of my varifocals on descending. I can't read in bed unless I sit up, I can't watch TV unless I am sitting up properly either. As for plucking eyebrows! Well i've given that up. I have thought of getting several pairs of off the peg glasses for each function, but I'd have to keep taking them on and off and it's bad enough now remembering where I have put things down like my mobile which I keep having to use to pass the password test for various websites...... Life isn't getting less onerous it is getting more fuss potty and annoying!! Thanks for the opportunity to rant but sadly I can't help with any good ideas. Sorry!

PamelaJ1 Mon 19-Feb-18 17:15:50

I went into my opticians today to get the arms to fit better. I can see better now.hopefully that’s sorts the problem I had.

CassieJ Mon 19-Feb-18 19:33:36

I have had varifocals for years and never had a problem with them. I recently had a new pair, and again no problems with them
I highly recommend Asda opticians, very professional and very fair prices. I got two pairs of varifocals [ second pair as sun glasses ] for £130. Used Asda for my glasses for many years and never had a problem with them

tidyskatemum Mon 19-Feb-18 20:36:45

I have varifocals but with my current pair of glasses I find reading difficult. I may be imagining it but I think it's to do with the size of the frames. They are deeper than the old ones and I really have to look down to read, which is not entirely comfortable, especially when I play the piano. All the current frames seem to be quite big so I'm reluctant to try and change my specs.

Coolgran65 Mon 19-Feb-18 20:44:40

I've never found varifocals to be of great value and I have two prescription pair. I wear mine going supermarket shopping as there is the small reading area so I can check small print (the small reading area is no good for sustained reading). Then the other areas work for goods on shelves that are just outside the 'reading glasses area'. I don't use these varifocals at any other time, find them a nuisance.

I don't need glasses to watch tv.
So what works best for me is ....... reading glasses, plus a pair of prescription glasses specifically for the computer and made for the distance that I sit from the monitor screen.