Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retro beauty products anyone?

(104 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 20-Feb-18 23:16:19

My latest lovely find whilst waiting in my small independent chemist is ‘Anne French’ cleansing milk. Same iconic blue & white triangular shaped bottle. It’s so light, non greasy, (I’d forgotten how great it is!) it smells heavenly and after cleansing with it using cotton pads, I don’t use toner afterwards as the light milk is a semi moisturiser, ideal when going to bed after make up removal. My skin is looking marvellous & best of all it only costs around £3! I would thoroughly (re)recommend this old favourite product to fellow GN’s! Has anyone else found similar ‘old loves’ that we may have forgotten about?

LesleyC Thu 22-Feb-18 10:59:19

Pond's Cold Cream for me too, but as a cleanser. Unfortunately they have halved the size of the pot and put the price up. I remember using 2nd Debut too. I used those whitening eye drops too!

I used to love Madame Rochas and Femme perfume, but they have changed formulation.

auntbett Thu 22-Feb-18 11:14:41

Thanks for the memory LesleyC. I've still got (empty) bottles for Madame Rochas and Femme and a sniff takes me back to a very happy time when my late husband and I first got together. He travelled with his job all over Europe and these were the first two perfumes he brought back for me.

pen50 Thu 22-Feb-18 11:15:44

I use Lipcote to hold my lipstick in place and it does a pretty good job. My perfume is Chanel no 19, lighter and fresher than no 5. Crabtree & Evelyn's hand creams are good for me, and I've stuck with an Estee Lauder powder foundation for the last twenty years or so. On the other hand I use makeup from new(er) manufacturers such as Sleek, MAC, and Urban Decay, and I'm still searching for the perfect dark circle concealer sad.

Tessa101 Thu 22-Feb-18 11:17:21

Omg I used to use that all the time urmstrongran I thought it was discontinued. Google here I come. Thank you for info.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 22-Feb-18 11:36:44

Unsure if it's retro - I've never found a moisturiser as good as the original Oil of Olay Beauty Fluid - so light and soothing.
I love the smell of Ambre Solaire - it reminds me of a French beach. Love L'aimant scent - reminds me of Mum.
As a teenager I used Angel Face foundation which came in a tube. Sadly my sister's boyfriend sat on my handbag and flattened it - it went everywhere!
Also loved Suki Pearl lipstick.
As a teenager I was enchanted by Rimmel (I think) sets of teeny-weeny bottles of perfume which we got at Woolies - it came in Lily of the Valley and other florals. also Californian Poppy and Apple Blossom.

Suzan05 Thu 22-Feb-18 11:44:11

Hartnell In Love perfume for me. Saw some on EBay once for an extortionate price!

OurKid1 Thu 22-Feb-18 12:03:04

emmasnan Ooh yes, Aqua Manda. I was going to post that but you beat me too it! I have seen it in a tiny chemist in Guernsey on our hols and, yes of course I did! So many teenage memories.

Rosina Thu 22-Feb-18 12:15:53

I had forgotten all about Angel Face foundation - I used that as a teenager. Sadly, yes, Chanel no.5 is different now and doesn't have that wonderful, classic powdery scent that I splashed on, hoping to drive men wild. (I have once or twice, but only with annoyance, sadly)
I love Nivea; the light cream with a fresh scent that is wonderful for keeping skin soft all over the body - couldn't be without it.

Happilyretired123 Thu 22-Feb-18 12:20:28

Nivea - love the smell!

dianetheartist Thu 22-Feb-18 12:26:15

anyone looking for perfumes -might be worth having a look at this website--Im sure they do copies o some older ones.. I use them all the time and have quite a good collection of lovely perfumes.. I have been stopped and asked if I am wearing Angel or Aliens,, etc... www.perfume-parlour.co.uk/ I buy the 12ml oils as they are handy to put in handbag. I have not tried the sprays..so cant comment on those..the oils stay on all day. I always read the reviews under each perfume before ordering too! Huby has some lovely aftershaves too..

annodomini Thu 22-Feb-18 12:30:54

Revlon's Aquamarine. I discovered it just before it was discontinued!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 22-Feb-18 12:39:17

I was an Avon rep in my youthgrin and Honeysuckle my favourite.I have a honeysuckle growing in my hedge and on warm summer evenings, where are those evenings?? the air is full of their scent and brings me back to my youth.

Nanny27 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:06:27

My mum was an Avon rep many years ago. I still remember her blue tweedy looking bag full of samples. My sister and I used to raid it for perfume when we were going out.

Legs55 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:19:02

Channel No5 is still my favourite perfume for special occasions only.

Nivea has always been my choice for cleanser & moisturiser, I'm allergic to many products, I did a trial for Clarins moisturiser & it brought me out in little white spots!! Cost was £80 each for day & night creamshmm

grannyinmypocket Thu 22-Feb-18 13:20:25

I still love Youth Dew,
I loved Linco Beer shampoo, but you can't get it now,

Lilypops Thu 22-Feb-18 13:24:20

Yardleys Flair perfume, always reminds when I first met DH 50 years ago this year and still together, He would always buy me the set which came with talc and the perfume ,,oh and Yardleys Reverie perfume , oh and Je Revien perfume , all bring back happy memories ,

keffie Thu 22-Feb-18 13:29:16

Oh my gosh! I always used Anne French when I was young. I loved it too. My cleanser is coming to an end so will go on a Google hunt for it. Thank you for the awesome reminder

gillyknits Thu 22-Feb-18 13:43:11

I used to love Youth Dew and wore it all the time until I got pregnant. When I was suffering from morning sickness I found that the smell made me feel worse! I can’t smell it now without a feeling slight nausea .

merrellina Thu 22-Feb-18 13:53:21

Oh how I would love to find my favourite perfume EVER !
Cyclamen Sandalwood - pure 1960's memories.
I don't like any perfumes now, even gone off Aromatics Elixir.

merrellina Thu 22-Feb-18 13:55:27

Should have been Cyclax not cyclamen !

GabriellaG Thu 22-Feb-18 14:00:23

Gosh! £3? I used to pay 1s 11d for Anne French cleansing milk many years ago (think 1960s)
I still use Astral and Nivea products.

lemongrove Thu 22-Feb-18 14:06:31

Isn’t scent an evocotive thing? A certain scent/smell can take you right back.
My leather satchell for school, certain perfumes, chalk, and also school dinner smell!

radicalnan Thu 22-Feb-18 14:10:02

Ponds cold crem for faces and anything else tht gran could think or.....'sun burn' cold cream, 'graze' cold cream, 'nappy rash' cold cream' 'sore hands' cold cream. It was soothing and she did have a glorious complexion at 90.

GabriellaG Thu 22-Feb-18 14:13:54

My very first lipstick was 'Talked About Pink' by Rimmel.
I don't wear anything except Keihls moisturiser with SPF on my skin ( face) but a bit of mascara and possibly eyeshadow if going out. I've graduated from Coty L'aiment in my early 20s to Armani Code EDP nowadays but prefer the beach look with clean skin, no make-up and slightly tousled hair. I hate 'done' and laquered hair styles. Where I live, hardly anyone wears make-up and none of my friends do. Possibly a tiny bit of lip stain on a night out but I've never seen that.
It's very outdoorsy and country wear.

SueDoku Thu 22-Feb-18 14:18:18

I've used Cyclax Rich Moisturising Lotion for over 40 years - it smells gorgeous, is absorbed quickly and keeps my skin lovely and soft.