Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to wear on the plane

(27 Posts)
MaggieMay60 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:01:45

I am going on a holiday of a lifetime to Australia with a stopover in Hon Kong on the way, and I don't know what to wear on the plane, I am worried that whatever I wear in England will be too hot when I get to Hong Kong plus the nurse at the health centre told me the Mozzies bite during the day and they really like the taste of me, so would need long sleeves! Is the temperature in Hong Kong really humid? I am not a seasoned traveller and have been saving for this for 5 years any advice is welcome!

Daddima Wed 28-Feb-18 19:08:55

We always take Mosquito Milk to Zakynthos, which we buy online from Chemist Direct, and have never been bitten. It comes in a roll on bottle, smells pleasant, and you just put stripes of it on your skin.
Have a great time!

lilypollen Wed 28-Feb-18 18:43:32

Totally agree with including pashmina/wrap. Great on the aircraft and a useful accessory in hot or cold climates. When going to hot climates I wear pumps and have flipflops in hand baggage, also spare pants and a tee shirt.

whitewave Wed 28-Feb-18 17:06:49

Flight socks

Coolgran65 Wed 28-Feb-18 15:07:02

I always use a very large but very lightweight pashmina/wrap in a neutral colour in place of a cardigan/jacket. It doubles as a scarf, a wrap, a blanket in the plane, can cover just shoulders, or can wrap whole upper body.
Also if it is of very fine fabric I can fold it up really small and secure with a couple of rubber bands and it fits into my (Kipling lightweight) messenger bag very easily and not take up much space.

A change of socks can be very refreshing, also fresh underwear. I travel very comfortably loosely dressed but don't take a change of outer clothing. Should I drip something the pashmina/wrap casually draped will hide all. :}

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Feb-18 14:52:20

Mozzies usually come out at night when you sit down to enjoy a drink and a meal!
I would go for 'the layered look' and would take some natural insect repellent. Pipsnolpal I tried to buy the Avon Skin so Soft before I went to Australia last time but couldn't get any online at the time, so I hope it's back in stock now.
It could be chilly on the plane so you will need something warm to put on although they do give you a blanket. A pashmina or large scarf could be useful to wrap round you. I take a clean top and also knickers in my hand luggage, it's easy to spill stuff down you (well, I find it easy).
I use facial moisturiser too, before getting on the plane as the air is very drying.

If you do visit anywhere that may have Zika virus or you are prone to insect bites and are going to N. Queensland where mosquitoes carry dengue fever then, unfortunately, a deet based repellent could be necessary.

Type or write your name and destination address on a large sheet and put it inside your case as well as the luggage labels on the outside.

Have a lovely time

Pipsno1pal Wed 28-Feb-18 14:16:20

I’ve always had problems with midges too, until I discovered Avon’s skin so soft moisturiser. It works amazingly well and if you don’t believe me, see this article www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-marine-commandos-moisturiser-repel-insects-jungle-desert-deet-repellent-a7904086.html
It’s much more effective and more pleasant than the DEET insect repellents. Enjoy your holiday

annodomini Sun 25-Feb-18 17:29:15

For long haul flights I like to put a pair of cosy slipper-socks in my hand luggage. I hate having cold feet and the crew turn the temperature down after dark. I suppose fleecy gloves would be going too far!

minesaprosecco Sun 25-Feb-18 17:23:08

I found this trtltravel.com/products/trtl-travel-pillow?variant=1&country=GB¤cy=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjKOlzcnB2QIVo7ztCh3oPwAsEAQYASABEgIYlPD_BwE indispensable on long haul flights. I find it almost impossible to sleep on planes, but this gives great support and makes it much easier to at least rest. Not really answering your question but something worth thinking about.

tiggypiro Sun 25-Feb-18 17:20:12

Elasticated waist trousers and a spare pair of knickers in your hand luggage (a must if your cases go awol).
And just in the hopefully unlikely event that your cases do not arrive with you take photos of them before you leave home. You will then have no problem filling in the 'lost luggage' report.
I speak from experience !!

varian Sun 25-Feb-18 17:15:03

In Honk Kong you will mainly be walking on pavements, so I would wear comfy walking shoes with cotton socks, long lightweight trousers and a thin long sleeved top. Rub on insect repellant and factor 30+. Have a good pair of sunglasses and a hat with a brim.

Remember that if you go into a restaurant or shopping mall it will have aircon and can sometimes feel chilly so take a lightweight jacket, cardigan or wrap.

I'm sure you will love it. Don't forget that cross-harbour travel on the wonderful Star Ferry is now FREE for oldies so take some ID in case you look too young!

Farmor15 Sun 25-Feb-18 17:04:04

Get flight socks- reduce risk of clots and also prevent swelling of feet/ankles which can be uncomfortable and prevent you putting on shoes on arrival.
I have flown long haul quite a lot and always wear a fleece over light top. As others have said, can get chilly on plane and blanket they give is very thin. I bring change of clothes, including sandals and underwear, suitable for arrival in hand luggage in case checked in bag is lost.

lemongrove Sun 25-Feb-18 16:55:29

I always take a light fleece with me onto a plane, it can be cold, but if not needed to actually wear, can be draped around you or rolled up and used as a pillow.
Wear something that doesn’t crease too badly, with long or three quarter sleeves and comfy trousers/ jeggings , nothing really tight though, and flat shoes.
Enjoy your trip....and come back and tell us about it?✈️?

MaggieMay60 Sun 25-Feb-18 16:49:21

Thank you ladies you have all been very helpful! I was thinking of taking a wrap so will definitely be doing that!

annodomini Sun 25-Feb-18 15:05:33

I had a stopover in HC in April some years ago. I was not aware of any mosquitos or other biting insects. I got a very sore throat caused, I was sure, by the air pollution for which many local people were wearing masks. Just wear light clothing with a cardi for cover-up. And comfy shoes for walking round the shops!

Marmight Sun 25-Feb-18 14:51:06

I'm just back from my annual Sydney visit. I wear light, loose leggings which are comfortable for sitting in for hours, with layers : strappy top under long sleeved top and thin jumper over. The bra is usually first to go! Tends to dig in after sitting squashed in a seat for a few hours! I have a big pashmina/wrap which is useful at this end in lieu of a coat and can be used as a supplementary pillow or blanket on the flight. I take a spare set of clothes in the hand luggage just in case the suitcase goes AWOL but rarely change on the flight. I wear easy to get on/off shoes, take them off on the flight and replace with thongs (flipflops) for loo visits and for use in transit. I just take wipes, toothbrush/paste, small deodorant, mini hand & face cream, medication and hairbrush. Remember most transit airports have aircon and can be quite cool. Less is more when travelling. I always take far too much stuff.....confused.
Have an amazing trip!

MaggieMay60 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:28:38

NotaGran The end of March, chose that time because we thought it would be cooler, more like our September we thought. I am going with 3 girlfriends to celebrate a big birthday.

Blinko Sun 25-Feb-18 14:28:03

I'd advise taking a light scarf on the plane as the air con can sometimes be a little, er, fresh.

OldMeg Sun 25-Feb-18 14:27:32

I doubt you will find mosquitoes a problem in Hong Kong when you visit. Take a selection of light tops and a very light jacket/cardi. I’ve just googled it and you can expect temperatures in HK of 17-21oC.

Suggest you look at various sites and get factual advice from m there. Best advice I was ever given is take half the clothes you think you need and twice the money.

Have a great holiday.

MaggieMay60 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:25:50

*thank you ! why didn't I see that typo before I posted a reply! doh.

NotAGran55 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:25:49

Ditto to the advice from Cassie . It can be chilly on the long haul flights so wear whatever you are comfortable in . It's good to freshen up and change before landing , so a light weight long sleeved top and natural fabric bottoms would work .

Have a wonderful time ! I love Oz .

Where are you going in Oz if you don't mind me asking ?

MaggieMay60 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:24:26

Nonnie thank will try them, presumably I can get them from the chemist? Don't think I will bother with the marmite as can see me be eaten by stray dogs grin

Nonnie Sun 25-Feb-18 14:14:09

Can't advise what to wear but can suggest taking a Vit B supplement to stop the mossies. I have always been one of those people they love to eat but since taking this I have been far less susceptible and when they do bite they don't come up with the big red very itchy bites. Or you could smother yourself with Marmite grin

MaggieMay60 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:12:25

In 4 weeks! That is why I am now getting twitchy! Thought I would be alright as I have lots of short sleeved tops until the nurse told me that I should opt for long sleeved confused

OldMeg Sun 25-Feb-18 14:08:47

When are you going? The humidity isn’t bad during the winter months or early spring. Almost all buildings have air conditioning but it’s on the streets you may feel it most. I soon got used to it though and happily nothing ever bites me.

CassieJ Sun 25-Feb-18 14:06:49

Wear light, comfy clothing. It's a very long flight to Australia and Hong Kong so you really need to be comfortable. I would also take a change of clothes with you on the flight. It makes you feel better, and if you end up spilling something down you it's a long time until you can change.

I was in Hing Kong in June many years ago so don't remember much of it, but it can be very hot and humid. Again light clothes with long sleeves. You will probably be able to pick up cheap clothes there depending on how long you are doing a stop over.

Just enjoy it. Very envious of you smile