Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why do they have to be there

(52 Posts)
hulahoop Thu 01-Mar-18 22:39:33

Forgive me if this has been said before , why do news reporters have to be stood outside in freezing conditions when nobody is there , when they are advising people not to do unessary journeys they look frozen .

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Mar-18 11:20:06

lbc1955 There was nothing much on yesterday evening so we thought we'd watch Penelope Keith Village of the Year but it had been taken off and a Channel 4 special about the weather was on

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Mar-18 11:18:26

Perhaps they dont like to wear hats because it flattens their hair!
I like to wear one for that very reason, otherwise it sticks out all over the place grin

Nonnie Sun 04-Mar-18 11:11:59

I love an excuse to wear a hat, don't have to do my difficult hear!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:55:56

Yes, it is ridiculous. What has also annoyed me is that two programmes in one evening weren't on due to our being treated to special programmes all about the weather if I want to see what it's like I'll stand by the window.

loopyloo Sun 04-Mar-18 08:28:14

Perhaps they dont like to wear hats because it flattens their hair!

Lilypops Sun 04-Mar-18 08:14:38

Yes I wondered why no hats , especially when thir heads were covered in snow , also, why do tv reporters , presenters have to wave their hands around so much when explaining something , I get very distracted by flying hands,

Kittycat Sat 03-Mar-18 19:13:37

On our Anglia News one reporter lives in a village that was cut off earlier this week-yes we did get lots of snow despite the fact that that they don't show us much on main news-so she did an article by going round with other people who were checking on the less able residents and taking them supplies. Which was nice. Also on the subject of wrapping up warm our weather girl was well wrapped up even tho she was only outside the studio, but I was a little concerned about her slipping on the snow as she is pregnant with twins. I hoped she was wearing her wellies!

Grandmama Sat 03-Mar-18 19:06:12

We get BBC NE and Cumbria and feel really sorry for Danny Savage. Whatever the weather - floods, arctic conditions, heat waves - there he is, reporting. I do wonder, though, about spending money on sending reporters to incidents/crime scenes etc where we see them standing outside a property in front of a police cordon (or outside a railway station as on C4 at the moment) with nothing much to tell us.

trendygran Sat 03-Mar-18 16:33:49

Thought exactly the same about those poor reporters yesterday. They all looked frozen and were in some very isolated looking places,where others were warned against going. Some will get a good salary but I guess they don’t get a bonus for braving such cold and possibly dangerous conditions.

Conni7 Sat 03-Mar-18 14:43:20

I always wonder how they get home afterwards when no-one else can travel.

Nonnie Sat 03-Mar-18 11:50:12

I doubt a producer would insist they were not dressed appropriately, they have a duty of care.

I get cross when I see them out in lonely roads where cars are stuck because they are just adding to the mayhem. If the BBC or other networks have spare 4 x 4s why are they not out there helping the emergency services get staff to work?

jimmyRFU Sat 03-Mar-18 11:49:44

We live not far from Weston Super Mud (Mare). We don't normally watch Sky News but did this week. Because the report was coming from Weston Super Mud. Such a surprise.

Nonnie Sat 03-Mar-18 11:44:01

I watched the news very carefully last night and all except one were wearing hats. Have they been reading Gransnet?

trisher Sat 03-Mar-18 11:39:34

I bet some of them try hats on and decide they don't look good in them so don't wear them while they are on camera. It is ridiculous and I do wonder about them, but then when I am out and about (which isn't for long just now) I keep seeing people without hats (and this is the North East!)

sarahellenwhitney Sat 03-Mar-18 11:09:36

What would you prefer then? Reporters sitting in a nice warm studio ?cup of coffee in hand? as there will always be those who need to be convinced, for their own sake that 'its minus 7, cars stuck in drifts, schools closing, no trains and getting worse.'

Juggernaut Sat 03-Mar-18 11:06:27

mumski
Our whole family are wearing North Face head to toe in this weather, I wish auntie beeb would pay for ours!

shysal Sat 03-Mar-18 11:04:41

Don't know which programme it was on, but yesterday I saw a lady reporting from her back garden instead of venturing out. I thought how sensible!

basketlady Sat 03-Mar-18 11:00:05

This doesn't just happen on the television either - why does our local radio station send someone along to report back on the latest unfolding drama when we can't see them (or it !)

mumski Sat 03-Mar-18 10:33:35

Call me cynical but it looks as if North Face clothing supply everyone at the BBC with jackets etc. anyway!
Great product placement.
We have a game called spot the reporter with a Northface jacket.... they all have them on - just saying wink

lemongrove Sat 03-Mar-18 10:32:56

Yes, we say this too, on seeing reporters ‘in the thick of it’ when it is not at all necessary.
Some of the reporting needs to be done on the spot, but not all, it could easily be done inside somewhere.All the politicians shivering outside Westminster on College Green answering questions in the snow, sleet, wind etc crazy!
Also, why is so much news reported by them standing up, or walking around the studio, even interviews conducted with them all standing?
The only reason I can think of is to make it seem more ‘immediate’ and important, with not a second to lose.?

BRedhead59 Sat 03-Mar-18 10:22:32

.. yeah and why do they rarely wear hats?

toscalily Sat 03-Mar-18 10:17:52

Did come into the living room yesterday morning and felt quite nervous seeing a young lady reporter in Devon standing right on the edge of the snowy road while reporting weather conditions, there were lorries & cars coming straight past her, one could so easily have skidded and hit her, thought what absolute madness, felt compelled to have a bit of a rant! I do try to avoid watching the news first thing in the morning in an effort to put off the doom & gloom till later in the day, well at least till I have had a cup of tea.

Kim19 Sat 03-Mar-18 10:15:26

Yes to all tv presenters wrapping up appropriately. My objection is they make me feel cold just looking at them and I can do without that ever. Watched Holly with her shoulderless dress at DoI on Sunday whilst Philip was covered up to the neck. I just thought she looked silly. She is so attractive when fully covered.

radicalnan Sat 03-Mar-18 10:12:42

There are fabulous heated jackets and gloves that keep you warm and charge your phone, I am thinking of treating my boys next year, so I imagine the TV people have those.

What I can't understand is, why we have to keep seeing pictures of cars stuck in snow, miserable commuters and empty shelves, it is winter and not really newsworthy unless this happens in July.

Just a quick update would suffice.

This morning there was a top military man on TV telling us how the army is trained in arctic conditions so are able to help, he could barely string a sentence together and was full of conceit because his troops were able to push a lorry. Hardly rocket science is it, any of it?

inishowen Sat 03-Mar-18 10:02:09

My son in law is a policeman. He was out last night rescuing people from snow drifts. One man was told not to go along a certain road. The man went anyway and then had to call to be rescued! My son in law had a few choice words for him and was up to his waist in snow getting the man out. The man now says he is reporting my son in law to the police ombadsman. You couldn't make it up.