Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Button up vests

(18 Posts)
HAZBEEN Wed 14-Mar-18 11:34:35

Thank you Jalima. She doesnt make anything easy but when all said and done she has had a hard time. I live 300 mile away so a lot of the problems fall to my brother so while I am close by I am trying to find things to help. Its a fine line between pandering to her and making life better. I think if I can help to sort out bits while I am here it will be easier for my brother to manage when I have to go home.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Mar-18 11:04:33

Oh dear, she is not having an easy time is she.

All the best, I hope the vests will be suitable, and a good link for anyone else who may be having similar problems.

HAZBEEN Wed 14-Mar-18 10:50:41

I have found one! www.nrshealthcare.co.uk do them. They are £25 but anything if it helps! My Dad died last week and I just want to make life easier at the moment. Both her shoulders were replaced more than once but both have "come away" so she really doesnt have much movement and because of the Parkinsons she is starting to lock up, her hands have now clawed. But she has never been an easy woman, she seems to have a very low pain threshhold or maybe she just likes to be centre of attention!

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Mar-18 10:39:10

I still think that the problem could lie with the way the carers are trying to dress your DM rather than the vests.

Fennel Wed 14-Mar-18 10:23:48

I agree with M0nica . I have a shoulder problem, and wear John Lewis silk T shirt vests which are stretchy. I put them on and off like that.
www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-ribbed-long-sleeve-silk-thermal-vest/p2191225

Devorgilla Wed 14-Mar-18 10:09:50

Ah! Just read the latest posts. Velcro won't solve your problem.

Devorgilla Wed 14-Mar-18 10:09:00

Yes ninathenana, it is a liberty bodice. I remember them well from my childhood. Hated them.
To address the OP's problem, try researching for velcro fastening ones. I am sure I read of a company that produces such clothing for disabled children. I think it was inspired by a mother trying to encourage her disabled child to be more independent. Most companies will expand into a new market if they think it will enhance their sales/profits. Worth asking them.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Mar-18 10:03:47

www.shein.co.uk/Buttoned-Front-Ribbed-Knit-Crop-Tank-Top-Green-p-284616-cat-1779.html?url_from=ukadplavest160524076o&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3amIocbr2QIVh7vtCh1g1wE1EAQYByABEgJbGvD_Bw
Bit short but might fit the bill.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Camisole-black-embroidered-silk-button-through-dainty-straps-sz10-R27/112846140936?hash=item1a46277608:g:sA8AAOSwl~VamYnz

If you go on ebay and look up vintage camisole, there are several items to be found. Good luck - we must pander to this drama queen! grin

HAZBEEN Wed 14-Mar-18 09:52:51

Thanks ladies, but maybe I should explain. My Mother is a drama queen! I know she is in pain but she doesnt help herself and blames everyone for torturing her when really its just she wont let people do things the right way. Her carers have the patience of a saint and yes that is exactly how they try to dress her but she says she wants button up vests! So I am trying to find them to stop her fighting the carers.

Bathsheba Wed 14-Mar-18 08:58:34

M0nica that is exactly what went through my mind, the perfect solution. I don't dress myself that way, though my mother always did.

OldMeg Wed 14-Mar-18 07:19:08

I found this site if you look there seems to be a vest that has a sort of extra open panel at the back for easy dressing.

M0nica Wed 14-Mar-18 06:51:41

Why cannot the carers put a stretchy thermal vest on her arms and then stretch it over her head? It is how I put them on, and I have no arm problems. Yes, I have to use my arms to lift the body over my head, but she wold have carers to do that

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Mar-18 23:40:07

Perhaps the problem is not the vests but that the carers haven't been trained how to dress someone with these problems. It should be possible.

Here's one with overlapping panels in the back:
www.adaptawear.com/Petal+Back+Open+Back+Vest/0_CAAA042/PRAA252.htm

HAZBEEN Tue 13-Mar-18 23:33:13

Jalima no thats what shes got but its still a problem.
Nina something like that is what I am after but you cant get them now seemingly.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Mar-18 23:26:25

can you still buy those?

ninathenana Tue 13-Mar-18 23:24:33

Isn't that a liberty bodice ?

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Mar-18 23:22:11

I have never seen any, but if you bought her very stretchy vests from somewhere like Damart or one of the online stores catering for older people could they manage to gently get them on without her raising her arms?

HAZBEEN Tue 13-Mar-18 23:09:37

This might be a long shot ladies but does anyone know where I can buy button fastening underwear vests? My Mother cannot lift her arms due to two failed shoulder replacements and has Parkinsons and she complains it hurts when the carers dress her so we are trying to find button up vests to make her life easier. I know if anyone would know Gransnetters will!