Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ideas on how to become motivated!

(57 Posts)
nannychris1 Fri 23-Mar-18 09:58:16

I recently ‘happily’ retired but I’m having difficulty in focusing on going forward. I’ve become very lazy and waste so much time procrastinating. I’m up and having bfast by 7.30 but waste the next two hours slouching in PJ’s reading social media, magazines, etc! I flit from one thing to another and cannot concentrate. ! (I help look after GC at odd times throughout the week which I love).
Any ideas on how to restart my new life would be greatly appreciated.

dbDB77 Sun 25-Mar-18 18:14:51

Yes Petra - I always paid tax and NI and also paid into an occupational pension scheme all my working life - as I said in my post, my friend told me I'd worked all my life for my pension.
I was trying to be a bit lighthearted using words such as "naughty" and "wicked" - I love being retired and appreciate the freedom everyday - but I also volunteer - as do thousands of retirees - I like to contribute & put something back - I can't get away from my upbringing, but then again I don't want to - it's made me very grateful for my life.

PamelaJ1 Sun 25-Mar-18 15:54:45

I paid tax but I can’t,unfortunately ever remember paying over £600/month. Still I’m not feeling guilty likedbDB77!

petra Sun 25-Mar-18 15:29:44

dbDB77
You say you feel guilty taking money for nothing.
I'm assuming then that you worked 'cash in hand' and paid no taxes.
Or, you did pay tax? What do you think that tax is for?

Soniah Sun 25-Mar-18 14:13:35

GabriellaG - Last night of our play 'Passion Wagon' last night then off to the pub to celebrate with cast and friends, got to bed at 2.30am ( new time), woke at 6 so thought I'd watch the start of the F1 but ended up watching it all, at the Town Hall by 9.30am to strike the set, home for so,e soup by 1pm, bones ache a bit now but I have 3 pages of our local magazine to write, put in photos and send to the editor in chief by tonight, and need to give the hall a sweep before tomorrow's yoga. Then a rare and much needed night in front of The Durrells and the Karma hospital, think I'll sleep well tonight! Not always quite so busy!

GadaboutGran Sun 25-Mar-18 11:45:49

I think what is most important, whatever else & however much you do, is to keep your body working so you maintain choice, have a good quality of life & can die ‘fit’. So do something physical, something social (with & for others), something creative, something mental (in both ways- exercising the brain and going a bit crazy!) & something spiritual (your way). When, how often and how is your choice. I have only just thought that up so will now get dressed, stop reading the papers and doing fb and take my own advice!

maddy629 Sun 25-Mar-18 07:45:18

Well said, MawBroon, I could not agree more. nannychris1 enjoy your 'me time'. I decided to learn to crochet when I retired and I spend lots of time doing that. I also take long country walks with my husband.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Mar-18 21:47:07

I like the old Spanish proverb .... ‘it’s lovely to do nothing & then rest for a while’. And why not.

dbDB77 Sat 24-Mar-18 20:10:39

I was brought up with the "Protestant Work Ethic" - so when I retired I felt guilty that money was being paid into my bank and I hadn't worked for it - until a friend said "you've worked all your life for it." But it still feels a bit naughty - something for nothing.
Since the first day of my retirement I love being retired - love the freedom of choice - but it took me a few years to come to terms with not "having" to do things - it's a real lifestyle adjustment - physical, mental & emotional - expert advice generally focuses only on the financial adjustment.
I think I've finally settled into it - activities, interests, friends & family - no set pattern - I don't like the idea of doing certain things on certain days - I had enough of a disciplined schedule in the workplace - so I enjoy flexibility & spontaneity - but I still can't watch TV in the daytime - far too wicked ? "The devil makes work for idle fingers" ? as my Gran would say ?

kircubbin2000 Sat 24-Mar-18 20:09:20

Several of my friends have joined u3a and are desperately busy rushing from meeting to meeting. I tried it but actually like being lazy. I swim several times a week and meet a friend for coffee twice. Also have g son 2 days and enjoy social media and reading.

Millie8 Sat 24-Mar-18 19:19:13

Wildswan16, you are a lady after my own heart!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 24-Mar-18 18:56:06

In many ways I share your predicament. I find it difficult to get going of a morning but as long as I'm up and dressed by 10.30 at the latest I try not to beat myself up about it. I tell myself to feel shame at this but when I recall that in my last job I had to get up at 3.15 I feel I deserve to be kinder to myself.

Grandmama Sat 24-Mar-18 18:35:34

I loved my job and handed in my retirement letter on the last possible date for a 31 Dec final day (actually left before that because some holiday leave was outstanding) but I was happily looking forward to retirement and a 'new' life. It took a while to adjust, I wasted time. I had planned a project to start after retirement - it took me two years to start it. Four years after retirement I'm run off my feet. Seeing friends, U3A, doing some voluntary work. There are not enough days in the week.

Chinesecrested Sat 24-Mar-18 15:37:46

Well, there's U3A - a friend of mine has joined 11 of their groups - architecture, Chinese writing, painting, local history etc. (She hasn't got gc though). There's all sorts of voluntary work. I used to go into one of the local Care Homes and chat to the residents over morning coffee; now I go into the gcs School and help children with their reading. Really though, you shouldn't feel bad about unproductive use of time. You've worked and earnt time off, and with the pension coming in, no real reason to do anything. I still feel like that sometimes though, looking n the jobcentre and applying for jobs...it can be a bit embarrassing when you get offered a job though, and find you don't want it!

Matelda Sat 24-Mar-18 14:06:49

This probably sounds eccentric, but I spend an hour in the mornings doing really vigorous aerobic exercise. I used to enjoy going to the gym, but stopped for a couple of years while I got over a knee replacement. YouTube has great personal trainers leading lots of good workouts which can be done, for free, with practically no equipment. I don’t have a smart TV, but cast the videos from my tablet to my regular TV via my Now box. I especially like Walk at Home, but I can also do a full-sweat aerobic workout while seated on a chair. No genteel Yoga and Pilates for me - I love to move, and it really boosts the feelgood factors in my brain.

Hm999 Sat 24-Mar-18 13:17:52

In a 5 day 'working week, I have a couple of days where I have to get up, and a couple where I can please myself. Have gained a dog, picked up a couple of new crafts in the last 2 years, joined a couple of short-term classes and one long-term one.

OldMeg Sat 24-Mar-18 13:16:04

Give yourself a break! Gradually your life will start to fill up with Things To Do and might find yourself missing those glorious days in your PJs.

Nanannotgrandma Sat 24-Mar-18 12:38:49

I also felt the same when I first retired. It took years to realise I didn’t have to be busy doing something ‘important’. I also jumped into volunteering in the area I had worked in, but quickly realised that was the wrong thing to do. Caring for my lovely GS filled my time for a few years but now he is at school. I have been able to enjoy doing nothing or reading, watching TV, listening to music. I do struggle with timetabled activities, such as volunteering or classes, as I don’t want to be tied down. But, that is to be my next step to take as we move to a new area.

GabriellaG Sat 24-Mar-18 12:34:45

Emily Harburn

Goodness me!
You make it sound horribly regimented.
Retirement...isn't that supposed to be less organised than the jobs we were glad to leave?
A4 files, plastic folders and spreadsheets...haha.
( shakes head)

GabriellaG Sat 24-Mar-18 12:27:47

Soniah

Phew!!
I feel quite exhausted after reading about all your activities. Whew!

GabriellaG Sat 24-Mar-18 12:18:04

*experience blush

GabriellaG Sat 24-Mar-18 12:17:05

We look forward to retirement but not everyone fulfils the plans they had in their head when that day dawns.
I cannot advise, because many people follow their own path in life regardless of advice if it doesn't chime with what they're comfortable with. Ideas ebb and flow.
My own ecperience was to take several months to just do nothing, random stuff, a taste of this and that on days when the mood took me.
I was glad to get out of the 9-5, food shopping on Saturday regime and can wander back to bed with a book at whatever o'clock whenever I want.
I joined a MeetUp photography group after about a year of idle pleasures and pick and choose which locations interest me.
I enjoy solitary day trips to the various coastal resorts nearest me.
I belong to the WI which has many young mums who keep it lively and fresh.
Visiting my children and GC (who live a good distance from me) is something I can do at times to fit their busy lives too.
Today, besides putting a packet of rustic bread mix into the breadmaker when making my morning coffee, I hsve done nothing, save check on my patio plants, read the news, written up a bit in my daily journal, and read the threads on here.
I do what I feel like doing, given time, weather and mood.
Rest assured, you'll find the right path into your new future.
Good luck. smile

EmilyHarburn Sat 24-Mar-18 11:53:37

Structuring time and making new friends are all skills to be learned in retirement. School and work has for a lot of us provided these elements of our lives.

I suggest you make a list of your interests, and a list of regular appointments ie. hairdresser, 6 monthly dentist, etc and regular tasks i.e shopping for food. I have a paper diary to put these things in. Then go on the internet and decide how to follow up your interests. Mine are through the University of the Third Age U3A, Adult Learning, local clubs and initially on retiring volunteering. Very soon you will have a busy diary made up of events you have chosen. I am also in touch with the alumnae group of my university etc. and on the subscription list for email notice of the programmes at my local play house etc.

Then I make sure that anything I might hatstand is in an electronic folder for the year ie. diary 2018, When I decide to attend I print it out and put it in a plastic wallet which goes into a thin A$ file next to the telephone. Before I set off I take the hard copy with me.

any way good luck. Its quite a job once you have a bust retirement life keeping up with the new contacts. When I get a new email address I put the year I met the person and the place i.e. 2018 U3A Jean Doe. This helps me to locate the person again when I am unable to recall their name. Also it prevents me, when there are two people with the same name, sending the wrong one the information.

craftynan Sat 24-Mar-18 11:50:57

So pleased to find out I’m not the only one who sits around in pj’s all morning ( I really must go and have a shower in a minute grin). If I need to be out early I am, otherwise I do what I want, when I want.

Happilyretired123 Sat 24-Mar-18 11:28:48

After a very busy career combined with bringing up 4 children it felt a bit odd to have leisure time! It took me about a year to fully adjust so give it time and just do things which you enjoy.

Peardrop50 Sat 24-Mar-18 10:58:44

Get out of bed, open the window wide, chuck out all that guilt along with a few expressions 'have to', 'must' and even 'should'.
Go back to bed, snuggle down and smile. Get up again when you're good and ready and do what ever you WANT to do. Walk, dance, garden, volunteer, chat to friends, lunch, what ever makes you happy, you earned it.