Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Musty chest of drawers

(29 Posts)
hildajenniJ Sun 15-Apr-18 10:09:10

Or perhaps this, from a q&a forum.
I know this sounds silly but it works! Pour fresh (unused) kitty litter in the drawers. Wait a few days and the odor will be gone. I used this technique to remove odors from wooden cheese boxes.

hildajenniJ Sun 15-Apr-18 10:00:22

Here's a tip I learnt from a work colleague of my DH. Buy some Lenore dryer sheets, ones with a strongish fragrance, place several sheets per drawer, perhaps 3 for a long drawer and put the chest of drawers in a warm room. The fragrance should permeate the wood. How long it takes, I don't know, but I thought it was a good idea and it's worth a try.

Situpstraight Sun 15-Apr-18 09:57:19

joy I’ll be very interested in any advice you receive as my musty furniture had to go to the tip as I was unable to get rid of the smell, in fact, I avoid auction furniture for this reason.

I was unable to smell the awful pong whilst it was in a large auction room, but in a room in the house it was certainly pungent and sadly had to go, most products I used left another smell on top of the original!

JoyBloggs Sun 15-Apr-18 09:25:03

I have a chest of drawers which must be about a hundred years old. It looks attractive, darkish wood in fairly good condition. However, it was stored for years in a damp, mouldy building and it smells a bit musty. I want to use the chest to store clothes but would like to give the drawers a good clean and hopefully get them smelling fresh. It's now completely dry and I'm keen to start using it. I have googled and looked at various treatments and am thinking of trying white vinegar, or maybe tea tree oil, but not sure I want my drawers (wooden) or my drawers (cotton) to smell of vinegar... Has anybody dealt with this problem? All suggestions much appreciated.