Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What toys did you play with as a child?

(54 Posts)
goldengirl Wed 02-May-18 14:44:48

I like to given wooden toys to my GC. For my own children we had very little money so toys came from charity shops, jumble sales or made by DH and me. As a child I remember the outside toys being a pedal car, skipping rope, wooden hoop and stick, spinning top. Indoors I had dolls, a dolls house, jigsaws, colouring books and lot and lots of reading books - Ladybird series and Enid Blyton stories being favourites. My overall favourite for a long while was a large rocking horse but sadly he contracted woodworm over time and went to the knackers yard sad

Nanabilly Wed 02-May-18 14:44:14

My favourite toys were a post office set with teeny little stamps in it . A petite typewriter and a Tressy doll that had long hair and you pressed a button on her belly and the hair was retracted to make it short. She had tiny hair rollers and a brush .
My sons favourites were Action man , lego , scalextric , micro machines and the hand held games donkey kong etc. They hated the Hornby train set so cut the wires to stop it going round.

Fennel Wed 02-May-18 14:31:55

There weren't many toys in my young days sad. Only books, and there was a shortage of those too.
One of my clearest memories is moving into a flat (from MGP's house) at the end of WW2 and the last person had left a box of toys in my bedroom - great excitement.
For my own children, my boys' favourite 'toys' were small caskets filled with replica guns, different types.
Probably banned these days.
The girls had dolls, Tiny Tears etc.

Coffee4life Wed 02-May-18 14:05:14

Good afternoon everyone, I was hoping I could get some insight from some of you about what kind of toys you were given by your parents, or you gave to your children? Wether there were any toys you thought were inappropriate for children?

Also I would like to know what the attitude towards gender specific toys was like when you were growing up?

I am a student and I would really appreciate some comments, thank you!

Ben