Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hearing aids for the first time - I'm worried!

(57 Posts)
Applegran Fri 25-May-18 17:47:01

I have been noticing that people speak more quietly than they used to - and finally decided I should have a hearing test. I've just come home from having the test. I knew it was likely that I'd need hearing aids, but I am feeling a bit unsettled by the news that I do need them. Silly, I know - thats the point of getting tested - but I am wondering what it will be like, and how easy it is to adapt to using them. I won't get them for a couple of weeks (I have to pour olive oil into my ears till I can have them syringed, first ) Can anyone tell me their experience and advise how to adapt? Will it be a great leap forward into better hearing?

grannybuy Sun 27-May-18 21:36:14

I have one in my left ear. I adapted to it very quickly. I'm hardly aware that it's there, and few people noticed it - not that it matters. You will feel the benefit. Family members had noticed that I needed the TV turned up. Now I also feel more confident in company because I don't have to ask people to repeat what they'd said, or act as if I'd heard! Good luck!

Maggieanne Sun 27-May-18 21:39:21

My son had a problem with his hearing, tried drops, they didn't work, tried to get a doctors appointment but that would be at least over a week. As he'd been suffering for over a week he went to have the wax removed by suction. Absolutely delighted, had both ears done, I think it was about £70, (charges might be different depending on the company you use) for both but what a difference!

PamelaJones Mon 28-May-18 00:06:45

I was given hearing aids via Specsavers. I am sensitive to silicone and was told if you can't tolerate silicone you can't wear hearing aids. Not true. I found out that if you go to an audiology dept at a hospital they have anti allergenic tubings. I have a hearing test booked and have to get my ears checked at drs in week preceding test. Then hopefully my ears won't itch! I didn't know about the railcard.

Nanna58 Mon 28-May-18 09:28:14

Have been trying to read up on hearing aids, bit sad ? and wish I didn’t have to as they are for DD who is only 34

Elrel Mon 28-May-18 18:14:51

I was having lunch with some old school friends. Someone mentioned hearing aids and it turned out that I was the only one without one! No one thought it a big deal.

Applegran Thu 31-May-18 15:04:37

Thanks to all the information and advice given here, I've got an appointment to go back to Specsavers to have the wax in my ears removed by suction and then be re-tested for the hearing aids. But the person I spoke to on the phone told me about a way to use olive oil to soften wax without its making me more deaf for days on end - she recommended Earol. It is fabulous! It gives a small measured dose of olive oil into my ear, doesn't make me deaf and has stopped my ears itching! I hope this is useful to others with issues with wax in the ears.