Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone having major anger outbursts with 75 year old DH?

(133 Posts)
Kate13 Fri 25-May-18 18:49:41

Hi not been on gransnet for a while - can anyone shed light on this? At home with DH -or on holiday, or generally being in his presence - I seem to be to blame for everything. What I say, what I do,. I “babble rubbish” “all the time... whereas when I’m out and about, I think I’m pretty normal ( no one shouts at me for “babbling” or being “in the way”. ) I’ve been blaming myself, but is it all my fault? Anyone else out there who recognises what I’m talking about , or is it really me?

Superqueen Wed 08-Aug-18 07:20:46

Thank you yes that is what I think. That he wants to be the 'victim' and can't understand why I left! I have thought this through and the price is to high I am afraid the DS & DD will take his side. But now his behaviour is noticeable within the family. I am receiving simpthy from them

Superqueen Wed 08-Aug-18 07:12:49

Is DH an only child?

Superqueen Wed 08-Aug-18 07:06:43

When this behaviour happens yes take a DAY OFF walk away , they shorten your life with this continuos abuse. Would DH look after you if you were ill?

Superqueen Tue 07-Aug-18 11:42:59

Kate. Thank goodness you have written so well about this subject and received support and advise. I am in this situation myself, thinking it was me . It is definitely me irritating him, that is why I keep away from him. His moods and sulks overspill into family,meet ups. If we are not going/doing what he wants when he wants ....... I get the disgruntled treatment.
I was afraid to write about this as I thought 'silly person, it is me being ungrateful, 'as he is smiles and charm to anyone else.
He struggled to do thing with his own children now it is grandchildren.
I too am at a loss and fed up with this situation . I have told him this is why I keep out of his way. I think he was somewhat shocked! Or am I hoping he was !!!!!
Yes I am the lady who wrote about being excluded from holiday plans . The response was gratefully received and I felt that it was me (again) "take it with good faith" and "I wish my DH would arrange a holiday ". This holiday is his plans where and when he wants to go on our anniversary. No surprise intended.
My conclusion is he and other DH are not going to change the see us as an easy target.unless we loyal ladies make the change.

SueDonim Sun 22-Jul-18 17:02:15

Your husband is being abusive towards you, Kate. Abuse doesn't need to be physical in nature. Have a look at the Women's Aid website, there may be some pointers for help there. You don't deserve this treatment from him.

www.womensaid.org.uk/information-support/what-is-domestic-abuse/recognising-domestic-abuse/

Fennel Sun 22-Jul-18 15:10:12

Sorry Kate that I've frightened you. That wasn't my intention.

sodapop Sun 22-Jul-18 15:07:32

You could talk to your GP yourself Kate even if your husband won't go. There may be some help available for you and some support.
This is not a time to suffer in silence, you have done nothing wrong, take any help that is offered. Sadly sometimes we just have to do what is best for us if all else has failed.
Good luck.

Kate13 Sun 22-Jul-18 15:01:07

Wish it were that easy Fennel. That’s the last place he’d go and he won’t discuss anything. “It’s not his fault, nothing is and he’s always right”.
You’ve frightened me talking about mental deterioration.

Fennel Sun 22-Jul-18 12:41:00

To Kate and Superqueen -
Losing self control like that sounds as if your husbands could be starting to deteriorate mentally. It happens to most of us if we live long enough, at different ages and in different forms.
Not that this any comfort.
So I agree, discuss it with your GP. But it would be harder to persuade husbands to see the GP.

Oopsadaisy53 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:13:13

Have you thought about separating your lives? Separate bedroom,a separate sitting room, that just leaves the kitchen and bathroom to cope with.
Then with you organising your days out, maybe he will stop and think about his behaviour.

Of course the alternative might be that he wants out of the marriage and he’s trying to get you out of the house, that way he can go to the family and say that you’ve left him. Poor thing.
Please don’t hit the bottle though.

Superqueen Sun 22-Jul-18 07:13:56

Thanks you so much. I feel I have exhausted my friends with this and to find GN has been a tonic . if I go out for the day with a friend, on return I receive silence and dis interest , head in the newspaper or smart phone. The finance issue and family breakup at senior years keep a lot of us from leaving totally . Just wait for the enevatable . HOPE I AM NOT FIRST ?Z

Kate13 Sat 21-Jul-18 22:03:42

Welcome Superqueen - sorry you’re suffering the same as a lot of us. When I put the question to gransnet I thought I alone had to struggle with this problem and was hoping for a bit of support from maybe a few grans, but all these ladies have been amazing and helped me so much. At least you know you’re not alone. No need to fill you in about my DH as it’s all there for you, but the support from the group is amazing. And it’s on-going

Superqueen Sat 21-Jul-18 19:55:29

Just joined this grans net site probably to find "help" with same issues. What a relief to see I do not suffer alone. So sorry that we women after so many giving years have to receive this behaviour. What gives them licence to treat us like it? When my DH got cross be cause I drove the car to a venue he needs to be at, a different way to what he would! He just flipped and shouted at the grandchildren so loudly "shut up " I did turn on him and told him of for having such a bad mood and temper towards me. This episode was the final crunch.... silent for days I sit away from him and avoid him as I seem to be the one who irritates him constantly. He is jolly jolly to any one else just a jekly and Hyde situation. Such peace. Now he wants to 'carry on as "normal"'.HELP

Ilovecheese Sat 21-Jul-18 16:11:49

I don't know how many rooms you have in your bungalow, but could you make a room into a sitting room for yourself? Have your own TV etc. Put a lock on the door.
I also think that sukie is right and you need to keep yourself safe. If he can't make you miserable with his sulking and moodyness, then he may well try another way.

If he doesn't enjoy your meals, stop cooking them for him and tell him why. Don't put yourself down by thinking that losing 10lbs is probably a good thing, you have got him to put you down, don't do it to yourself.

And see a solicitor.

Kate13 Sat 21-Jul-18 16:03:05

Yes Atqui thank you. It’s precisely that - eggshells. Never knowing whether a criticism or snide comment or just bad mood is round the corner. I’ve got a doc’s appt on Tuesday so will talk to her then. She knows all about it and put me on Citalopram “to take the edge off” which it doesn’t. At the moment I haven’t anyone to chat with - DS &DD on holiday - and I’ve had a tummy bug (either that or it’s nerves, I keep being sick) so probably have no fight because of that. I’ve lost 10lbs since last Saturday!! Good thing? Probably...

Atqui Sat 21-Jul-18 14:55:44

Similar problems here re eggshells , mood swings and hurtful comments, but your situation sounds intolerable. As others have suggested, you should see your GP if only to put your side of the story - in case he has told the GP that you have a problem.

Dianalou Sat 21-Jul-18 10:11:48

I really feel for you. It sounds as if the situation is getting worse. Why don’t you see a solicitor to find out what your options are?
Especially in cases of domestic abuse- and this sounds like gaslighting/ emotional abuse, it is far from certain that it would be you who would have to leave the house you love.
But even if you did, you would surely walk away with half the value,and half the pensions, and 71 is not too late to start again and be content.

Telly Sat 21-Jul-18 09:58:23

I think perhaps you should speak to your GP, there may be something else going on here. If nothing else they may be able to point you in the direction of some support.

sukie Fri 20-Jul-18 23:34:59

Stay safe Kate13. Get out fast if necessary. Might be a good idea to have a small bag packed and a plan of how/where to go if he should suddenly become physically violent. Even without a history of such, it can happen.

Kate13 Fri 20-Jul-18 21:20:30

That was very brave sodapop. I keep thinking of it but I’ve worked just as hard as he has for this bungalow and why should I be the one at my age (71) to up and go? The trouble is we’ve lived in each other’s pockets for 47 years, joined at the hip but this anger and verbal abuse -where is it coming from?

sodapop Fri 20-Jul-18 20:37:01

So sorry thing have not improved for you Kate13 must be very hard living like that.
Have you found any reason for his behaviour?
I can understand you saying that you don't see why you should leave but you are so unhappy is it worth staying ?. I left and took nothing with me, its hard starting again but I was so much happier without all the stresses.

Kate13 Fri 20-Jul-18 19:53:13

Hello everyone
world war three just started here, after a week of silences. I made his dinner (bad move) and he bellowed at me to “go away and throw it in the bin.” Another bad move -I did. He came back ten minutes later to eat it , couldn’t find it if course, and the torrent of anger began
for real. I can’t take much more of this but I don’t see why I should move out of the house.
I know I’ve got to make my own decisions but it really does help to talk to you all.

Nannyfrance Fri 22-Jun-18 19:20:44

I put up with the silent treatment for years not even knowing why he was acting that way as he refused to discuss the problem without a huge argument. I then realised he was using the silent treatment as a means of controlling me and I then decided two can play at that game so I just ignored him and stopped preparing his meals, doing his washing and clearing up after him thinking the worse he could do was divorce me, which he had threatened to do, until I said that would be fine as I really didn’t want to live with his controlling behaviour. Things have since improved. Try it, what have you got to lose?

Kate13 Thu 07-Jun-18 09:08:01

Yes I’m going to stick with it and will try to leave the war zone. Very difficult not to retaliate but it just makes things worse. When he is calm, things tick over quite tolerably but I can never judge when or where the next outburst will happen. That’s the stress of it all. If I could see it coming I think I could deal with it in s fifferent way. Get out of the way quick, for example.

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Jun-18 19:50:06

As I said earlier my DH went through a similar phase but it turned out that diabetes, as well as other health issues, was the cause and we’ve come out the other side. The diabetes is now under control and he has come to terms with not being as fit and strong as he was. I’m lucky too that we’ve always been able to talk problems through. So it can pass.