Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

am I wrong to think we golden oldies have still more to give to the world

(25 Posts)
peaches50 Wed 30-May-18 22:01:43

There is such a huge amount of experience and innate sense in this community so forgive me for trying to tap your time and knowedge. I was so active before retirement and after the flush of joy in doing exactly what I want and when without the tryranny of the clock I'm giving up snoozing in the garden and refusing to think I'm past one last push! I'm supporting a charity that is tackling the escalating rise in knife crimes and also helping young students into employment with an environment theme. I just dont know how to fill in grant applications or do the admin and secretarial side of it. Anyone want to join me? There's still more in this old girl and I'm sure more grans and grampies.

grannyactivist Thu 31-May-18 00:38:57

peaches I'm not sure if your question is a general one about volunteering or if you're specifically asking for help with the project you're working on.
Either way I'm already working more hours in a voluntary capacity than I ever did when I was being paid! grin

NanaNancy Thu 31-May-18 04:48:17

I am with you Peaches, I too am deeply immersed in the charity world. I do fill out the applications for funding, and am currently in year two of changes to the By-laws and articles of incorporation.
There is such a plethora of information on the web that I read and research and find samples of all types before I apply that new knowledge to what I am doing.
One of my proud points is that I launched and did all the content for a webpage recently and really enjoyed the creativity of the entire project. I really mean, I did it all, the pictures, the design etc. Was great to learn and resulted in a much needed business promotion for the charity.
You can do it too.
Nothing cannot be found on the web...start there to find all you need.

Besstwishes Thu 31-May-18 07:48:28

peaches I do voluntary work too, but I steer clear of the Admin/secretarial side of it as it really does swamp you with work, I have an accounts background but with the Charity Commissions very strict accountancy procedures, I say no thanks and leave it to the qualified Accountants, ditto with the secretarial side too.
If you start to feel it’s getting on top of you please get help, it’s a very important side to Voluntary work and most people who do it are unsung heroes, well done.

stella1949 Thu 31-May-18 08:24:17

Many organisations employ people specifically to make those grant applications - if they are not done exactly right you don't get the grant. I'd be very wary of getting into that side of the charity . Same with the administrative side of it - you could find yourself doing everything and getting swamped. Charities will use you as long as you let them - often with little or no help . You need to take a good look at the work you're putting your hand up for.

Sorry if I sound negative but I've been burned in this situation myself. Once you say "yes" it's really hard to back out or even to get help. Good luck.

sodapop Thu 31-May-18 08:31:00

There is so much more to volunteering than admin and finance. Befriending people with a disability, helping in food banks, dog walking the list is endless. I help in a voluntary library, helps others and I love books so a winner all round.

estergransnet (GNHQ) Thu 31-May-18 09:23:10

Hi Peaches50 - good for you for doing your bit! Age is just a number, remember! We've actually got a useful page on charitable work. Hope it's helpful. The link's below.

www.gransnet.com/life-and-style/charitable-work

Teetime Thu 31-May-18 09:27:15

Well done peaches50 for getting involved in such an important issue. I have a number of volunteer roles mostly community projects and admin doesn't come easily to me as I don't enjoy it but it does seem to be a knack especially grant applications. My tip would be if you want something from someone ASK - you will be surprised how much help etc you can get by just asking.

peaches50 Thu 31-May-18 09:39:22

I knew I'm not the only one that burns the midnight oil!
granny activist - aint that the truth! At least you could clock off when employed, with voluntary guilt makes you stay on...
yes to both - curiosity how many were struggling like me and definitely a cry for help if anyone isn't doing anything and would like to.
to others (first time using this so cant go back to address you individually)
Unfortunately much as I loathe it money does drive action which produces results. I would love to get volunteers to help run and deliver mentoring and activities for this special group but not much luck so far so reluctantly looking at paying for help in key areas. My lovely help (son of a gransneter who came from one of my posts) has taken on full time work. Could not have taken it so far so quickly without his help (thanks Matt if Mum reading this).
So hence this post - is there a bid writer who can give me just a couple of weeks now - been told we stand a better than good chance to get some vital funds but I'm not capable. Message me privately without committing if you can..... thanks all

Teetime Thu 31-May-18 11:16:31

messaged you

GabriellaG Fri 01-Jun-18 09:56:12

What exactly are you doing regarding support. A listener? Don't the charity have secretarial staff to deal with the finances and paperwork. It's a very worthy cause but are you starting up a branch of that charity?
Please let us know then we can determine what we can offer and to whom.

Jaycee5 Fri 01-Jun-18 10:28:19

Grant applications are very variable so there is no specific way of dealing with them.
Some seem to want virtually a thesis written, others ask for an initial email so that you can just set out an outline of what the charity does and what the money is needed for.
I did this for a charity last year and didn't come across any grant giving body that did not give information about how to make an application on its website.
It is very time consuming and frankly disheartening as, apart from the big charities who are pretty much a closed shop, there is so little money around that their criteria is very narrow. Most grant organisations will only give for special projects rather than for running costs which is what most organisations want. One organisation applied to said that they liked what the charity was doing but were two years behind with the grants that they had already approved. I had to give up because the woman that I needed information from was in South Africa and getting it together was taking too much of her time.
I wouldn't want to actually take over doing it but if you read the information on the websites and need any general advice feel free to PM me.

Although there are hundreds of organisations that say they give grants, by the time you check their criteria, you will be lucky if you find more than a handful - but the checking is time consuming. There are websites that list grant giving organisations in the UK.

peaches50 Fri 01-Jun-18 10:50:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

peaches50 Fri 01-Jun-18 10:57:55

hel!!!!! thought Gabriella was a adminstrator how do I take this down as too much sensitive personal information not for sharing on an open site???

peaches50 Fri 01-Jun-18 10:58:31

meant help not hell....panicking ....

Jaycee5 Fri 01-Jun-18 11:06:20

peaches50 I think you have to do it through the Report button.

Make sure that your charity is registered with www.easyfundraising.org.UK/ It is a system where people who buy things online can click their site and go to the retailer through it. The retailer then makes a donation to the charity the purchaser has signed up with.
I support a very small charity called Knit for Life which raises over £1,000 a year this way. I recently bought a (not very expensive) TV through John Lewis and JL sent the charity £5.73. It doesn't sound much but it really builds up.
Their website is easy to follow.

kittylester Fri 01-Jun-18 11:06:57

Peaches - I've reported it for you!!

peaches50 Fri 01-Jun-18 12:32:10

jaycee* kittylester* sar many thanks for helping this old gal out. Now you know why I dont use social media of any kind - just so useless at IT and would be sharing my husband's inside leg measurements to the world innocently....! Thanks admin - such a brilliant fast response.
Jaycee great advice and yes I recognise the barriers are so high for smaller organisations. Gabriella will erspnd appropriately now.

peaches50 Fri 01-Jun-18 12:56:50

*Gabriella:

What exactly are you doing regarding support? I help my friends the parents of Robert who was stabbed to death aged 16 by a 15 year old trying to rob a 14 year old in Hackney. There is a white stone bench dedicated to Robert in front of the town hall where he died. I raise awareness and any initiatives they have in inspiring young people to live a better life, like Robert did.
Don't the charity have secretarial staff to deal with the finances and paperwork.NO - they use every penny raised on the kids. Noone s paid to do anything which is why I struggle on.
It's a very worthy cause but are you starting up a branch of that charity? No - we work together on community projects not just in Hackney
Unfortunately their website was stolen by a Chinese company who wants £3000 to release it back - so they are busy setting up another one. But if you google you will see films, updates etc. The Foundation has got young people jobs, helped them into Cambridge and Oxford and other unversities and these young people have returned to mentor others via the Foundation.
Anyone can help spread knowledge via social media - and from my recent gaffe you see why I cant!!!!

peaches50 Fri 01-Jun-18 13:02:43

ps it's the Robert Levy Foundation. Anyone reading this and worried about rising knife crimes and killings can access resources and a short film DevastatingAfter Effects by Mark One a Bafta winning film director www.devastatingaftereffects.co.uk/home/

quizqueen Fri 01-Jun-18 15:35:48

It's good that so many people still want to help charities, I suppose, but I'm afraid I begrudge giving much support, certainly to any of the large national charities, when they pay so much out on advertising and senior staff salaries and jollies while often barely seeming to appreciate or acknowledge some of their volunteers. Think of the lady who sold poppies for years and committed suicide because she was overwhelmed by charities asking for more than she could afford to give.

I will be on the opposite sides of thoughts, I guess, as most on here so I hope the charity you support, peaches50, is not one of those which behaves in this manner. It is not one which appeals to me though. I think the problems in London (and spreading elsewhere) are caused in the main by the government allowing unsavoury people to come and live here when we have enough of our home grown criminals to still sort out). Usually drugs are at the heart of the matter yet some people still clamour for them to be legalised and the police seem to turn a blind eye.

I usually save any support I am willing to give to help animal charities. People can make their own choices as to how they behave while too many animals are at the mercy of human cruelty and neglect.

Personally, I think people in general are helped too much and need to take responsibility for their own needs. I see people who have certain disabilities saying they can't do this, that and the other and then I see similar people suffering the same way but they are winning gold medals.

Having just dragged myself back into work as they are short staffed while still recovering from a knee replacement as well as having pulled a muscle in my back a couple of days ago (and I'm on my way to 70 with state pension only) I really don't have that much time or sympathy for people who are unwilling to help themselves, I'm afraid, but choose to rely on charity or behave in an antisocial manner.

Jaycee5 Fri 01-Jun-18 18:20:17

peaches50 I have tried to respond to you but my PM reply has not gone through and an email I sent has bounced back 'domain not recognised'. I'm a bit tired today so will try again at the weekend.

Saetana Fri 01-Jun-18 19:19:56

People who have disabilities and win gold medals are exceptional people - as are all athletes. I think it does no good to compare your average sick/disabled person to paralympic athletes - my husband would be dead if he tried to do that! The paralympics has done more damage to sick/disabled people than it has helped - now way too many people think that the average sick/disabled person could do this and is hence capable of work - this is just not true for the majority with serious illnesses and disabilities.

Serkeen Mon 04-Jun-18 14:50:12

No you are not wrong at all, of course we have lots to give, we have life experience and the last time I looked you can not but that anywhere smile

annep Wed 06-Jun-18 06:39:17

quizqueen I'm just glad not everyone has the same attitude. I am too shocked by your post to comment.