Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

boring ironing

(53 Posts)
annep Tue 05-Jun-18 16:57:42

This is an age old subject so apologies. At art class yesterday I discovered that no one except me ironed much (I dont iron underwear towels old work clothes ). One lady who always looks smart and fashionable doesnt iron her clothes! No one at all irons duvet covers. I changed my bed this morning and put my nice smooth clean duvet cover and pillow cases on. and the bed looks lovely. The one I took off is washed dry and folded. It looks all creased and wrinkly. Really. Does everyone put it on the bed like this??

trisher Tue 03-Jul-18 11:34:47

I don't iron unless I have to. My mum always loved ironing, probably because she learned to iron with old fashioned irons you heated on the fire, an electric iron was so much easier.

moonbeames Tue 03-Jul-18 11:01:26

I don't do much ironing here. My husband does his own shirts and jeans. Occasionally I will do a shirt for him but mostly I don't have things that need ironing. I have recently cleaned out the linen press and washed and ironing everything and put it back in. That felt good. I had a really good clean out. It must be a blue moon though, I don't do this often at all.

LynneB59 Mon 11-Jun-18 17:18:51

I hate ironing, like a lot of people do. I never iron underwear, teatowels, bedding or anything that looks fairly decent and not too creased.

I iron shirts, trousers, dresses, some blouses and t-shirts.

I fold up bedding and flatten it, smoothing it down. I keep it on the bottom of a pile of other bedding in the cupboard.

I don't intend wasting my time on things I don't like doing.

Willow500 Mon 11-Jun-18 11:13:29

I don't iron towels, underwear or socks but do iron the rest unless it's the sort of material which doesn't need it. My husband has a shirt on every day so don't see how you can get away without ironing those and I do like to have the duvet covers and pillowcases nice and crease free.

Tweedle24 Mon 11-Jun-18 11:08:04

Effie looks wonderful but, it looks very expensive!

annep Thu 07-Jun-18 19:10:04

tweedle24. good tips. Still not convinced on the roller but if it works for you MillieBear..great.?

MillieBear Thu 07-Jun-18 12:46:02

I have a Miele Rotary iron. It wasn't cheap I'll grant you but I wouldn't be without it. I do all the ironing this way, even shirts etc., as they can be folded and fed through. I put stuff through damp and then hang them up to finish off. Unfortunately it can be tricky if you need help folding bedclothes but on the plus side your only effort is in taking stuff from the washing machine, pulling up a chair and putting it through the rollers.

Grandma70s Thu 07-Jun-18 10:42:18

I don’t wear linen, but lots of cotton does’t need ironing if you dry it carefully. I wear cotton tops that look fine not ironed. My bed linen is pure cotton. It looks a bit creased after washing until it goes on the bed, where it miraculously smooths itself out.

Oldwoman70 Thu 07-Jun-18 10:02:51

I think the roller iron and the Effie are out of the price range of many GNs (I know it is out of mine!!)

sarahcyn Thu 07-Jun-18 10:00:37

Have you heard about Effie? Google it.

Tweedle24 Thu 07-Jun-18 09:53:14

I don’t mind ironing if I am in the mood and have something to watch or listen to while doing it. While my husband was ill he suggested using an ironing company as time was short after caring for him. He has now died and I iron again but have found a local lady who does the bed linen. I find it very difficult to fold the big sheets on my own. One tip I learned from late father was to make the bed using a top sheet under the duvet. That way the duvet cover does not need to be washed so often. There is a throw over it during the day. I hate changing the duvet cover!

annep Thu 07-Jun-18 09:27:40

the roller iron (rotary?) is very expensive and you would have to fold duvet covers. Doesnt look practical for clothes, just flat things like pilloe cases tea towels.

annep Wed 06-Jun-18 23:07:44

thanks everyone. roller iron - I will investigate!

MillieBear Wed 06-Jun-18 21:55:13

A roller iron.....it makes it all so fast and easy and bed linen is a doddle.

M0nica Wed 06-Jun-18 15:30:05

It takes an hour a week and I find something easy on the eye and undemanding to watch while I do it.

Apart from wrinkled bedlinen, going non-iron means wearing lots of artificial fabrics, polyester/acetate tops, hot and slimy in summer; cold and 'orrible in cooler weather.

I prefer to wear cotton, linen and wool, and if that requires ironing, it is worth it.

glammanana Wed 06-Jun-18 12:26:25

I am not that fond of ironing but do insist that my bedding is ironed for some reason I just cannot seem to get away without duvets coming out of the machine without being very creased'
Yesterday I stood and ironed 3 x 4 sets of pillowcases and just one KS duvet cover I just couldn't face ironing the other 2 duvet covers they will have to wait until next time I feel the urge to plug in the iron.Luckily all my pillow cases match the duvets that are ironed as all my colours match up with the bedroom decor.

TerriBull Wed 06-Jun-18 11:18:55

I've done a session with the iron and ironing board today. It is boring and there are more interesting things to be done, but it's just one of life's necessary chores if you are like me and want ironed clothes and bed linen and no I'm not one of those who has to iron their knickers shock why would you? Now my husband is retired he does his own ironing. We do it every few days or so and not longer than say half an hour each. I do have an ever present basket of stuff "to be ironed" that never gets any smaller.

pollyperkins Wed 06-Jun-18 11:14:14

Annep my husband does like things ironed and has been known to iron his own shirts on occasion. He does say not to iron his garenin g clothes etc (but I sometimes do.)
My daughter however lost patience with me when she spotted me ironing pyjamas ! But I love nice clean folded pyjamas every week and dont like them put in a drawer crumpled. I'm not doing this daily!
However I have recently stopped ironing duvet covers (which I hate doing so its a relief). Still do pillow cases.

Grandma70s Wed 06-Jun-18 10:37:03

Anyone over 12-ish should do their own ironing if they want things ironed. I do the occasional blouse in summer. That’s all. All else is a waste of time that could be much better spent.

henetha Wed 06-Jun-18 10:32:02

I must admit that I do as little ironing as possible, because I loathe it and it kills my back. But some things really do need it, don't they. However, I am a great believer in Folding and Patting.... it works with lots of things.

annep Wed 06-Jun-18 10:02:05

pollyperkins my husband makes me feel like I'm too fussy for ironing duvets and some other things. As if no one else would do it. and then I feel guilty for wasting time.

annodomini Wed 06-Jun-18 09:49:28

I discovered an 'easy iron' setting on my washing machine - it's really just a minimum spin. Combined with the hot weather of recent weeks, this has enabled me to skip ironing even pillowcases.

Iam64 Wed 06-Jun-18 08:29:34

We've been together 37 years. I've never ironed anything of Mr Iams. We shared the ironing of the children's clothes but from about age 13, they ironed their own. I iron linen, cotton etc clothes of mine but never iron bedding, jeans etc. There are so many more interesting things to be done.

Allegretto Wed 06-Jun-18 08:26:06

I always iron bed linen and anything else that looks like it needs done. I try to wash, dry and iron on the same day. I find there is more ironing during the summer when clothes are hung out rather than tumble dried. I don’t like ironing so try to make sure it never builds up to a large amount.

Stansgran Wed 06-Jun-18 08:12:55

Arthritis and shoulder problems here too so DH's shirts and duvet covers go to a lovely lady under a railway viaduct in a shop called Steam-iron and I keep my ironing time for my sewing,pillowcases, teatowels and handkerchiefs. I tend to wear natural fibres but I line dry using coat hangers to minimise creasing. I share Varian's bewilderment over microfibres. Just like diesel - you start off doing your best and then you find it's wrong.