Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

boring ironing

(52 Posts)
annep Tue 05-Jun-18 16:57:42

This is an age old subject so apologies. At art class yesterday I discovered that no one except me ironed much (I dont iron underwear towels old work clothes ). One lady who always looks smart and fashionable doesnt iron her clothes! No one at all irons duvet covers. I changed my bed this morning and put my nice smooth clean duvet cover and pillow cases on. and the bed looks lovely. The one I took off is washed dry and folded. It looks all creased and wrinkly. Really. Does everyone put it on the bed like this??

Esspee Tue 05-Jun-18 17:02:12

Life is too short to spend ironing. Don't you have anything better to do?

merlotgran Tue 05-Jun-18 17:02:15

Yep!

J52 Tue 05-Jun-18 17:32:20

I like ironed clothes, especially as I usually wear linen or cotton clothes and there’s nothing like fresh ironed bed linen.
I usually watch catch up tv or listen to radio 4 while ironing.

Nannykay Tue 05-Jun-18 17:36:21

Me too, don’t like doing it, but it’s ok in front of the tv. I normally try and do it all in one go, about 3 hours worth on a Wednesday afternoon, then maybe a few odd things on a Friday.

pollyperkins Tue 05-Jun-18 17:40:00

I don't mind ironing and hate creased clothes or bed linen. Like you I don't iron towels or underwear or socks but I do iron tea towels and pyjamas. I can listen to the radio or watch TV while I iron and like the fresh smelling neat pile of folded clothes.
Now what I really hate is cleaning, especially vacuuming. Heavy, dirty, smelly and exhausting!

varian Tue 05-Jun-18 17:54:08

I try not to buy anything that needs ironing but I may have to rethink that now we have been warned about synthetic microfibers coming off in the wash then finding their way to the sea where they can damage the environment.

I'm not sure whether it is more eco-friendly to keep wearing these garments and washing them or donating them to the charity shop where someone else buys them, wears them and washes them or to bin them in the landfill, which doesn't seem right.

annep Tue 05-Jun-18 18:07:25

Esspee yes I have lots of things much more fun. And I felt guilty about doing it. But clearly there are others who iron too. So I dont feel bad any longer. thanks folks.?

KatyK Tue 05-Jun-18 18:09:29

I do our ironing and mourdaughter's ironing (of which there is usually a lot). I used to hate it but for some reason I don't mind it at all now. My least favourite job is cleaning out the fridge for some reason.

FlorenceN Tue 05-Jun-18 18:31:03

I don't mind ironing at all, and I iron everything! Nothing nicer than freshly washed/ironed bed linen etc. I do it in front of the TVs/listen to a podcast/audio book/YouTube...so lots of things to do...whilst I iron!

Nanabilly Tue 05-Jun-18 18:42:42

I'm a weird one as I love ironing , I find it very relaxing and also if I'm feeling a bit grumpy I can iron away my annoyance.
I don't iron bedding unless it's been overspun or left in the washer when it's finished which I very rarely do.

Doodle Tue 05-Jun-18 18:58:45

I hate ironing but do iron everything except socks. Bedding, towels, underwear (his not mine) the lot.....but as so many of you don't, I'm beginning to wonder why ?

Alima Tue 05-Jun-18 19:03:00

Nanabilly, you are normal like wot I am. I like ironing too, find it relaxing. ( Do like ironed bed linen though).

hildajenniJ Tue 05-Jun-18 19:03:53

I try to take the duvet cover out of the dryer as soon as it's finished. If it's still warm, I fold it straight away, and it virtually irons itself. I don't iron anything I don't really need to. I do DH's work uniform, and his trousers, but that's about all.

GrandmaMoira Tue 05-Jun-18 19:05:24

I only iron the few summer linen outfits I own. I don't like ironing and am not much good at it. Do none of you ironers have arthritis in your hands?

jusnoneed Tue 05-Jun-18 19:15:45

I only iron if it's really needed, mostly my sons clothes - shirts/jeans/work shirts & trousers.
I have a couple sheets that need a quick go over and usually do the pillow cases. Duvet covers no.
I used to leave the job as I hated it and then ended up with a small mountain - now I do it when I have half a dozen or so bits waiting, not such a chore.

wildswan16 Tue 05-Jun-18 19:54:31

I think I iron more since I retired. I quite like to put an audio book on and am happy ironing away while listening. I only do the essentials though - pillow cases, duvet cover (if needed, some of mine do, some don't), blouses or tops, trousers if needed, and that's probably it.

Worst thing ever was an armchair cover from Ikea that needed ironing before putting on the new chair. Impossible to find a way of manipulating the iron round it.

Fennel Tue 05-Jun-18 19:55:57

I quite enjoy ironing too. You need to have a good iron, ( I have cordless one), and the board at the right height.
I usually iron Sunday evenings listening to the radio.
JazzFM Dave Freeman blues and Boogie.

crystaltipps Tue 05-Jun-18 20:28:14

I have a steam generator iron and it makes ironing almost a pleasure. I watch afternoon tv while I do it. Definitely do cotton duvet covers, much nicer to look at and snuggle down under. 1 hour per week top.

Cherrytree59 Tue 05-Jun-18 21:37:13

After being at hospital all night with my father (a regular occurrence) I was faced with an over flowing ironing basket at home and another at my father's house.
It was the straw that almost broke camels back!
I picked a local directory and rang an local Ironing company.
It is one of the best things I ever done.
I regained precious time with my terminally ill father and my family at home.
That was in 2003
I still send ironing out but now it's only every 2 or 3 weeks.

Bathsheba Tue 05-Jun-18 21:45:50

I try to avoid things that need ironing. Unfortunately that does not stretch to the trousers I buy which, being cotton in the summer, always need ironing. Never iron bedding, even though I use 100% cotton. It's just folded very carefully after drying. Let's face it, you've only got to sleep in it once and it's creased again anyway, so why bother? Unless the bedding ironers here change their bedding every day, of course...
So no, I don't iron much in the way of clothes or household stuff, but the daft thing is I'm always at the ironing board ironing the things I sew - I sew a seam, press it, return to the sewing machine, sew more seams, press, etc. Since I'm feeding my creative urge, it never feels like work, not like ironing clothes and bedding wink

DanniRae Tue 05-Jun-18 23:11:03

I hate ironing so only do what has to be done - never bedding (unless it is for a visitors bed). My husband got so fed up waiting for his stuff to be ironed that he does his own now. However this morning I put the ironing board up and ironed about 5 things!! grin

Beau Tue 05-Jun-18 23:32:23

I love ironing and do mine and DGS' ironing every night. I iron everything except towels, socks and underwear but I don't iron 'polyester' type dresses - I do a quick cool wash then hang them straight onto hangers - they really don't improve with ironing - a lot of DD's expensive work dresses fall into that category - before I moved in she was having them dry cleaned ? She doesn't iron at all as she works at home in the evening in order to come home in time to see DGS before bath and bed - SIL does their ironing - I've noticed the quality depends on his mood ?

Moocow Tue 05-Jun-18 23:45:58

Like ironing if not too much has built up. Preferably was, dry and iron on the same day. I've tried to stop or not do it all as I too seem to be the only one who irons these days but the clothes look awful! (Mine not others)

pollyperkins Wed 06-Jun-18 06:40:03

I cant understan feeling guilty about ironing! I feel guilty if I dont! I tend to wash pnce a week (like my mother did!) - several.loads. and then spend abot 2 hours ironing it all. I hate wearing/ putting away creased unironed clothes.
Funnily enough I dont mind a bit of dust-cleaning does seems a waste of time. !