Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

DIABETES

(36 Posts)
Serkeen Wed 13-Jun-18 16:36:17

This is a silent killer...

Lots of people have it and do not know

Left un detected Diabetes causes eye problems amputations and kidney failure

The Good news .. if you have Diabetes and have caught it before it has had chance to do damage then it can be reversed, it can be reversed at any stage but better before damage has been done than after.

I know all of this because...

My Husband has gone through all of the problems mentioned above and all because it was not diagnosed.

This is serious ... Please go get checked ..

BBbevan Wed 20-Jun-18 05:09:20

Just to lighten the gloom. I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes just over 2 years ago. It was a dreadful shock. I was ,on reflection slightly over weight and my diet not good. I did a lot of research. I went on the 8 weeks to Reverse your Diabetes diet, and lost 2 and a half stone. There was also a great deal of good advice on the Diet Doctor website.
Since then I have restricted my carb intake and gone no sugar. Last week my glucose test results came in. I have completely reversed my diabetes and the doctor said ' no further action needed, as long as I monitor my diet.

It was hard to begin with but just a way of life now and of course I had to have a whole new wardrobe of clothes.
So give it a try. It can only be for the good ?

M0nica Wed 20-Jun-18 13:08:12

DH is very overweight. He was diagnosed with diabetes about 10 years ago. At first, even with a low dose of medication his condition was very unstable, but it gradually stabilised.

His medication was always at the lowest level and then last year all medication was stopped as being unnecessary.

During the time he has had diabetes he has made no changes to his life style. He is still overweight. Food choice and preparation has always been in my capable hands and has never been high in sugar or white carbohydrates. We have a healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg, mainly veg, and rarely eat between meals. If we do feel hungry the usual snack would be about 1 oz of cheese. So it has been for decades and so it remains.

I have no idea why, despite his weight, and with a family history of Type 2 diabetes, his diabetes, except for the first year or so, has been so stable and is now medication free.

BBbevan Wed 20-Jun-18 16:06:06

Well done MOnica It is probably what you feed him, and therefore praise is due to you.

M0nica Wed 20-Jun-18 16:31:51

Diet helps, but in his case, even at its 'worst' it was controlled by very low doses of metformin, so I suspect there is more to it than just diet. He is the same with cholesterol. He was diagnosed with high cholesterol, given, again, a low dose statin but after a while stopped taking them as he didn't like the side effects. He still hasn't told his GP and has regular cholesterol checks with no comment so presumably that too is now within normal limits. Now, I am not overweight, I am very active but my cholesterol is quite high, but that is another story.

Floradora9 Wed 20-Jun-18 19:02:57

It makes me so mad that people think everyone with type 2 can reverse it by diet . Only 2 out of five people can do this . Someone like me had no chance of reversing it and it was just bad luck and my genes which gave me this condition . My readings are always good because of how I manage my diet but can I reverse it ? No chance , do I let it rule my life , no .

bikergran Wed 20-Jun-18 19:47:49

paddyann I also saw the program. I was shocked at how high the readings were and how they drastically cut them down...must admit it looked a pretty hard regime to follow(t.

Was it 600 or 800 calories in those liquid meals...(the shep pie one looked awful) but...! it certainly did the trick after 4 weeks.
I missed the second one with Colleen Nolan in.

jasmina Wed 20-Jun-18 23:08:28

Thanks for this important message. If caught early enough, a some people with acquired diabetes can get rid of it with lifestyle changes!

Synonymous Wed 20-Jun-18 23:33:46

Floradora please don't think that everyone thinks that because it just isn't so and there is often great misunderstanding of what reversing actually means . Neither is it possible to return to the old or normal way of eating for those who can control by diet which is why some people seesaw when they are tempted. If your body can't handle the carbs then you just can't have them without some kind of intervention. Anyway it certainly sounds as if you have got it sorted out for yourself so very well done! flowers

Serkeen Sun 24-Jun-18 20:51:02

monica I am confused, if your diet is so brilliant which it truly sounds how is your husband so over weight

M0nica Mon 25-Jun-18 19:24:32

I never said my diet was brilliant, but it does happen to meet all the current recommendations because of medical problems I had as a child, a dislike of sweet things and having been brought up not to eat between meals. More happenstance than intention.

I provide meals but what is eaten and drunk between meals is not my remit, nor how much exercise is taken. DH's and his family seem to have a genetic predisposition to put on weight very easily.