Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I fancy having a Buddha

(129 Posts)
NanKate Thu 28-Jun-18 19:39:41

For lots of different personal reasons I fancy having a Buddha in the garden, not the one with the fat belly but more the one with the pointy headdress or similar.

Nothing tacky or made of plastic. Any ideas ?

NfkDumpling Sun 01-Jul-18 06:28:33

My Buddha faces south. With a touch of east. I was told either east or south in the northern hemisphere for the sun rising or high, never towards the setting or dying sun. I do talk to him when I pass. He’s made of concrete though so is slowly loosing his features. Perhaps my job for today should be to clean up my Buddha.

I was given another small one which I put outside not realising he was frost tender and he sort of disintegrated! DH threw him away which was probably terribly bad luck - but he’s an atheist who doesn’t believe in luck!

Theoddbird Sun 01-Jul-18 14:00:02

I have s lovely one on top of my narrow boat among the lavender plants. I bought it at a folk festival. It is very heavy.

NanKate Mon 02-Jul-18 06:48:30

What a lovely idea Theo a travelling Buddha.

Although we have ‘t yet found our Buddha, I have had great pleasure reading about yours and looking at your photos.

Mine will appear I just have to be patient.

varian Mon 02-Jul-18 20:16:26

Depending on the size of a Buddha, you might think about elevating it. Ideally you should look up to the buddha.

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-Jul-18 08:47:56

I think the “pointy hat” is actually a snail cluster....
Like varian, I think the statue should be high-up. My father told me never to have a Buddha you don’t have to look up to. He said they must be above eye-level out of respect. If you want one in your garden you could put the statue on a tall column maybe?

Have just read this online:
The location of any Buddha statue should always be a place of reverence, which means a position above eye level, to avoid looking down on them.
Regardless of the place you intend to set the Buddha statues, in the house or garden, there are few rules that should be followed.
Avoid placing the Buddha statue in the bathroom, kitchen or any other inappropriate place.
Never place a Buddha statue where someone can point at it with their feet or fingers.
Never place objects taller or larger than the Buddha statue close by, such as the refrigerator, wardrobe etc.
Buddha Statues should be placed away from objects of daily use such as towels, rags, handkerchiefs, napkins, cleaning item etc.

Here’s a link to some of the meanings of the different poses:
www.thebuddhagarden.com/buddha-poses.html

Hope you find something just perfect.

Nonnatimesfour Tue 03-Jul-18 16:10:47

Thank you Anniebach.

Nonnatimesfour Tue 03-Jul-18 16:13:50

NanKate, Yes I know what you mean about embracing other faiths and still being a Christian.

NanKate Fri 03-Aug-18 07:21:38

Well my Buddha has arrived from Germany. He is an early birthday present for next month but I want him in place immediately.

I took the helpful advice from here and have chosen a Thai Buddha with. Slim face, a snail headress, sash over his shoulder and flower decorations on his clothes.

DH is giving him a spruce up with a toothbrush as he was very dirty on arrival. I have a place set up for him on the obsolete BBQ so I can see/feel his calming vibes whilst sitting in my little office.

Liz46 Fri 03-Aug-18 07:32:21

You have brought back memories of our visit to The Grand Palace in Bangkok. I went into the meditation room and the sense of peace was amazing and I could have just stayed there enjoying it but my OH did not feel the same!

NanKate Mon 06-Aug-18 11:19:39

Some of us can Liz and some of us can’t. My Buddha has settled in well. No doubt my two GSs will be checking him out later today.

solotiger98 Sun 23-Jun-19 16:04:10

Suggested site with large attractive Buddha statues without being too expensive or heavy. www.homegiftsgarden.com/collections/garden-statues

Anniebach Sun 23-Jun-19 17:05:33

If one believes in The Ten Commandments a Buddha is out

callgirl1 Sun 23-Jun-19 17:25:24

I don`t have mine for any religious reason, I just fell in love with him.

Anniebach Sun 23-Jun-19 17:27:59

I respect people choice, but a Buddha is a God

Whitewavemark2 Sun 23-Jun-19 17:33:02

I have one on the edge of the pond - Yin and Yang is the idea. He’s so old he has lichen all over him.

pinkquartz Sun 23-Jun-19 18:04:15

Buddha is not a God. He is an enlightened being. I believe that anyone can enjoy having a Buddha statue, you do not have to be a Buddhist to meditate and to believe In compassion and Kindness.

Anniebach Sun 23-Jun-19 18:42:03

Then I should have said Gods or Idols ?

Day6 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:00:35

I mentioned I'd like a Buddha so OH surprised me and bought a carved wooden one, with a big tummy and a happy smile. He sits, slightly hidden, amongst the plants in the conservatory.

Day6 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:10:09

I was told that the figure with the tummy is Ho Tai, you rub his tummy for good luck. He is known as 'The Laughing Buddha' and brings wealth and joy.

Ah, thank you Elrel. I shall be doing that frequently from now on! grin I am blessed to have joy in my life, but the wealth would make a welcome change! smile

Ngaio1 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:13:11

I bought a dear little one from Poundland. Great buy!

Nanna58 Tue 25-Jun-19 11:40:40

Love my Buddha by my pond. Jane10 I saw the one with the mouse in Madeira, it was sweet.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 12:18:48

I think his hair is curly, not composed of snails????. He cut his hair after achieving enlightenment I think.

Jane10 Tue 25-Jun-19 12:28:36

I saw a beautiful antique porcelain Buddha ornament on holiday. It was a lovely laughing one with 7 little children climbing on him. Hmmm. Sounds a bit creepy but it wasn't really. I'd love to have bought it but it was £1900!

pinkquartz Tue 25-Jun-19 13:25:29

I think the Buddha had curly hair to represent his noble birth but also it might be curled up snakes or snake heads as I think there is a story about the snake king protecting Buddha while he meditated under the Bodhi tree.
My memory is not too good.
I was thinking of buying a book about Buddha statues as I have four around my home and garden and I love them all. They are all very different to each other.
I have never heard about them needing to face a certain direction....I just want to see their beautiful faces when I am looking at them.

Anniebach.....I don't think of the Buddha as a god or an idol.

paddyann Tue 25-Jun-19 13:30:35

I've had mine for about 30 years ,bought in an Asian shop in Glasgow's West end . He sits on a chinese cabinet and had four copper candle cups in front of him ,usually lit candles, though I've to be careful of the kittens. He faces N/E .We're friends with a couple of ministers of the C of Scotland and neither has ever complained about our Buddha ,he's just a part of our lives.My oldest GD loved him so much she rubbed his tummy every time she walked past him.