Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My vanity is suffering - I feel old!

(48 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Jul-18 10:50:22

I am struggling with my pride. I am trying to come to terms with the fact that I really ought to stop riding a bike!

Twice recently, I have caught my foot on the (low) bar of my old-fashioned ladies' bike, when dismounting upon being forced to brake suddenly, and tumbled over.

No serious damage, but the sensible half of me says this is the kind of warning that circus artistes walking the high-wire or working on trapezes take heed of when they fall down twice - not willing to risk the third and possible fatal or at least serious fall.

But my pride is hurt. Ridiculous, as I have never really been all that fond of cycling, but now I just don't want to have reached the age where I have to give it up.

Any good advice on how to ignore my pride and be sensible?

Oopsadaisy53 Thu 05-Jul-18 13:17:19

It isn’t just being able to ride a bike that is scary it’s having to be ‘traffic aware’ and that’s a whole different skill with the current traffic levels and road conditions and if you make a mistake you might not get over it.

Hollycat Thu 05-Jul-18 13:35:53

I think it's great that you can still ride a bike. They say you never forget how, but I have! I just can't balance any more and I don't understand it. I've tried leaning against a lamppost to try to get started and it just isn't happening. I'm really disappointed in myself - perhaps I should try stabilisers but my daughter says she will disown me if I dogrin

sarahellenwhitney Thu 05-Jul-18 13:52:50

Give it up unless you find yourself, unintentionally, going from bicycle to a mobility scooter.

Leah50 Thu 05-Jul-18 14:40:44

I'd say give up cycling, two slight falls are enough...the third might be disastrous. I cycled anywhere & everywhere for almost 60 years but after being knocked off my bike twice by "drivers who didn't see me" decided to be more circumspect. The third time was a Sunday morning when four yobs in a car thought it hilarious to just touch my back wheel several times as I headed for the supermarket.
I'm furious with myself that I let those little sh*ts win...pushed my bike home in tears & never rode it again...I really hope the next thing they "bumped into" was a large tree!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 05-Jul-18 14:43:25

Thank you everyone. I've been looking at tricycles, but I think I probably are more interested in a cargo bike, as what I really need is three-wheel stability plus a way to cart shopping. We don't have a car, can't afford to run one.

I realize cornering can be an issue, but here there are one or two firms willing to let one test-run a three-wheeler before buying. So I'm thinking of doing so.

I realize, it is stupid to risk causing an accident to others or self, just out of a misguided sense of vanity!

EmilyHarburn Thu 05-Jul-18 14:56:16

Perhaps its time to look at an electric bike.

www.electricbikecity.com/blogs/learn/best-electric-step-thru-bikes-for-seniors

libra10 Thu 05-Jul-18 15:15:26

I'm just like you grandtanteJE65, however my problem is getting on my bike, rather than getting off!

Each morning I walk my dog for a couple of miles, but occasionally need to use my bike.

I have difficulty getting my let over the low crossbar, and gaining enough speed to balance. The other week, I failed to gain the speed, and landed heavily on the pavement! Luckily, a lovely girl helped me to get up again!

It is a problem. We live in the countryside with long lanes to get anywhere. My bike gives me independence, and I don't want to give it up!

libra10 Thu 05-Jul-18 15:16:33

That should be 'leg' not 'let'.

Grandmama Thu 05-Jul-18 18:56:56

I had cycled all my life, was knocked off once (slow collision, no real damage) and loads of near misses. Then about 8 years ago I fell off and crashed off on to my left side, broke my wrist and damaged my shoulder. When the plaster came off my wrist was a bit weak so didn't want to cycle until it was stronger, had physiotherapy for my shoulder, recovered fully but decided not to cycle again. It is definitely risky. I have to do so much for DH that it would be disastrous if anything happened to me so have not cycled again. Keep thinking how much time it would save for some trips but not worth the risk. Just one more aspect of getting older.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 05-Jul-18 19:31:43

Just coming up to 71 and I cycle as much as possible. While I was waiting for my knee replacement the Dr told me cycling was my form of exercise as its not weight bearing. I couldn't walk far but I could cycle for miles. 7 weeks after the knee replacement I was back cycling and did 8 miles. Why not change your bike to a step through with no bar? The other thing is last year 63 people died from cycling compared to 115 from falling down the stairs, maybe we should wear helmet for going up and down the stairs grin

BBbevan Thu 05-Jul-18 20:52:35

Oh gosh. I have just bought a bike. Haven't ridden one since 1965. But I managed to cycle down the garden today. I am hoping that in a week or so I might attempt the nearby cycle path. Am I deluded.? I so want to go on rides with DH

Foxygran Thu 05-Jul-18 22:31:32

Go for it BBbevan!

Luckylegs9 Fri 06-Jul-18 04:58:14

I think it's the type of bike you have, not you.

Elrel Fri 06-Jul-18 13:24:37

Mrs Eggy: A friend reluctantly stopped cycling at 91. It was not that she fell off but that the slightest knock caused copious bleeding.

Elrel Fri 06-Jul-18 13:29:44

Barmey - as a non-cyclist I was unable to follow the advice that cycling was excellent physio after a knee joint replacement. I didn't get on well with an exercise bike either. I'm under 5', do they maybe child sized exercise bikes?

Elrel Fri 06-Jul-18 13:30:27

make, not maybe

Barmeyoldbat Sat 07-Jul-18 08:54:02

Elrel, I don't use exercise bikes, I cycle outside on a bike that has been customised over the years so it is just right for me and nearly always cycle on cycle paths so I don't have the problem of cars, just dogs and children

BBbevan Sat 07-Jul-18 09:17:03

Hollycat why not try a tricycle. All the rage with the 'older' set down here ?‍♀️

BBbevan Sat 07-Jul-18 19:45:36

Hey ho ladies. I have been out with DH on our bikes. Got the bike last Tuesday and it took me a few days to get my balance. But I've done it. I am so pleased with myself. Will go out again tomorrow.

gmelon Sun 15-Jul-18 16:47:12

OP if you didn't really like cycling then you now have a great excuse to not do it,
People often say to me what a shame it is that I miss out on long walks by the canal or beaches. ( due to MS) . To be honest I hated long walks, or any walks and I'm glad to no longer have to make my excuses .

bikergran
Do you really have to give up your motorbike?
I rode all my life until MS put a stop to it.

gmelon Sun 15-Jul-18 16:57:24

There is a lady local to me who has a lovely three wheeler the paintwork is pink and white.
It has a very large basket.
It is often outside the suprmarket.

Melanieeastanglia Sun 15-Jul-18 17:40:51

Perhaps a tricycle?