Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hot weather clothing

(52 Posts)
Rosina Fri 06-Jul-18 11:04:04

Can any Gransnetters offer some advice about fabrics or, preferably, specific manufacturers? This summer I have come to the conclusion that linen is an absolute no no for me. Since this latest heatwave started I have abandoned my linen tops, trousers and blouses as I have caught sight of myself, scarlet faced, in clothes that look like wrung out dishcloths, screwed up beyond belief. I bought trousers last year that were a cotton linen mix, with a silky lining inside the waistband which eliminated the sometimes slightly itchy sensation with linen, and thought I had hit the jackpot. Sadly, if I sit down, or worse still drive anywhere, the trousers stretch and would accommodate me and several other people. The waistband descends to almost hip level and I trip over the hem. Has anyone found cool clothing that still looks reasonably tidy after a few hours?

suzied Sat 07-Jul-18 11:45:09

Cotton lawn for floaty dresses, viscose , or a mix with cotton/silk / linen good for trousers, dresses, blouses, good quality cotton jersey t shirt material for tops, dresses, - avoid anything with polyester even in a mix.

sandelf Sat 07-Jul-18 11:47:27

Loose! If at all possible.
Has anyone knowledge of starch? I have a Next linen mix dress (65 linen/45 vicose) - it is not at all bad on the crumple front but I'm wondering whether to try a starch spray or something called Best Press - comments?

CazB Sat 07-Jul-18 12:20:03

I bought 2 lovely loose cotton T shirts in Uniqlo in a gorgeous floral print. They were £12 apiece, are lovely and cool, just the job for this weather.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 07-Jul-18 13:35:28

I've made my own summer dresses with a lightweight cotton in a sleeveless shift pattern. I think they look reasonable - the ones with no lining are obviously cooler. Whether others think they look smart is up to them. You may not wish to go sleeveless though. It's very difficult to look smart in this extreme heat.

MawBroon Sat 07-Jul-18 14:07:46

sandelf two suggestions, Dylan Easy Iron or Spray Starch, both work well on linen.

sandelf Sat 07-Jul-18 14:18:46

Thanks MawBroon I'll look for them on Monday.

Harlequin Sat 07-Jul-18 14:37:28

I have loose long trousers from www.bangkokpants.com
They’re made of a cotton/rayon mix, some have the elephant print on them. Wonderfully cool and wear well. Worn these home and abroad for some years. Add a loose cotton top,perhaps from Rohan - good for speedy washing and drying, no-ironing.
Maybe no good for the office but great for being comfortable and covered.

maytime2 Sat 07-Jul-18 14:52:57

Marks & Sparks also sell easy iron spray and cans of starch.

annodomini Sat 07-Jul-18 14:55:59

If somebody would tell me how to use spray starch without it sticking to the garment, I would look much less scruffy in linen mix crops. Thanks in advance!

annodomini Sat 07-Jul-18 15:10:57

Badly expressed! I mean that the iron seems to stick to the garment. It's a ceramic sole plate and not supposed to stick.

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Jul-18 15:28:09

I found some culottes in fine cotton to wear under skirts and dresses earlier this year. I can’t remember the name offhand but I’ll look if anyone wants me to.

JacquiG Sat 07-Jul-18 16:11:07

Hi. Having the same problem, which seems to lie with the quality of the linen. Some is silky and doesn't crush as much. I have a couple of linen jackets that cost a bit (but in a sale) and they don't crumple, but cheaper stuff does. I find linen/cotton mix is good, and easily washed, also knitted linen seems very good. I have a couple of jumpers that drip dry!

David1968 Sat 07-Jul-18 16:34:01

I've some white linen/viscose mix "capri style" trousers, with an elasticated waistband, which I bought a while ago from Cotton Traders' sale. At present DH and I are in California, where it's hot - temperatures have reached 100°F. Said trousers have been a real boon. They wash well and tumble-dry so that I can get away without ironing them. I took a risk buying them, because I don't usually wear white trousers, or any linen fabrics at all, but in this case, they've proved their worth - so cool and comfy.

Theoddbird Sat 07-Jul-18 16:47:37

I live in Italian linen 'balloon dresses that I buy for less than £30 on eBay. They are loose and comfortable to wear and can be dressed up or down. The few wrinkles after a few hours wear really don't make them look bad. I love them

grandtanteJE65 Sat 07-Jul-18 18:16:48

Thin silk or the thinnest quality of Indian cotton is the nicest wear in really hot weather, I find.

If you wear a silk slip or underskirt under a linen skirt or dress it should not crease as badly when you sit down, but you will probably need to sew the slip yourself.

VivNE65 Sat 07-Jul-18 18:20:15

I moved about 320 miles north last year. Still wearing fleece in the evenings!

seacliff Sat 07-Jul-18 20:04:06

grin Gabrielle ….. oh for an edit button!

I drove to London and back today, about a 5 hour horrendously hot round trip with no a/c. . I wore my trusty Asda viscose palazzo trousers. They were very comfortable and cool and didn't crease at all. I also like Asda linen trousers, but they would not have looked so good after such a journey.

Rowantree, I unfortunately have "tree trunk" legs and fat ankles, so I always wear long floaty or wider cut full length trousers. I know you are shorter than me, but if you tried some palazzo type full length with a more fitted cotton t shirt, you may find they look ok?

OldMeg Sat 07-Jul-18 20:08:17

I love my crumpled, baggy, just below the knee linen trousers. So cool and comfortable.

Fennel Sun 08-Jul-18 09:32:30

I have a light cotton loose dress, sort of batik pattern.
Daughter brought it back for me when she went with a school trip to Indonesia. And in very hot weather don't venture out until evening.

ffinnochio Sun 08-Jul-18 10:27:02

Calf length, sleeveless, baggy seersucker striped dress, with big patch pockets.

Carolebarrel Mon 09-Jul-18 21:11:10

Cotton pyjamas as soon as I get home!

seacliff Tue 10-Jul-18 08:53:56

Yes me too Carole! well pyjama bottoms and a cotton cami.

Katek Tue 10-Jul-18 10:07:18

If you need sun protection have a look online at an Australian brand called Coolibar. Their clothing is UV50 rated and I have a couple of their wrap style cover ups. I suffer from PLE in sunlight so these tops are a godsend. Buy direct-eBay is selling them at up to 3x their price!!.

agnurse Wed 11-Jul-18 07:26:04

Cotton or cotton/polyester tend to work well for hot weather. I have a T-shirt that's made with a mix of cotton and bamboo. It's quite comfortable for warm weather and the bamboo makes the fabric very soft. Unfortunately it was given to me by my work so I don't know where you would buy bamboo clothing.

PhoebeWard Tue 05-Nov-19 06:51:55

Hope you managed to find what you’re looking for. I was looking for a specific clothing collection before, but it was for my shop. However, what I did at that time is that I searched online and checked all the clothing stores I come across. And luckily for me, I came across G7 Clothing, and they have the particular items that I need. That was quite easier for me since I already know what requirements I have in mind. Plus, search for clothing wholesalers/retailers online is not that hard. You just have to be meticulous on choosing the right one to deal with and make sure that you are getting the best value for your cash.