Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dinosaur Gran query

(55 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 07-Jul-18 13:22:27

I feel very old having to ask this but I've been enjoying music heard on TV programmes lately and thought it might be nice to be able to play some recordings. But - how do I do it these days?
I used to have a CD player but now it's all downloads etc. I have an Amazon account so I could download stuff but what do I need to play it on? Any ideas?

henetha Sun 08-Jul-18 10:56:25

I must be a dinosaur as I have hundreds of CD's and still play them almost every day on my CD player or in my car.
I have a smart phone, but don't want to pay money each month so that I can have music on it. Is there any free way of doing this? I often go to YouTube as it's great to see the videos along with the music. My favourite one at the moment is Ed Sheeran singing his song "Perfect" with Andrea Bocelli. It's called Perfect Symphony and is absolutely fantastic.

GrammaH Sun 08-Jul-18 11:10:24

I listen to Spotify on my iPad &, as the odd advert doesn't bother me, I pay nothing at all. I've got an enormous collection of all sorts from Baroque classical to George Ezra via Handel, Glück, 10cc , Beatles at al - all downloaded in a nanosecond. Brilliant, I love it, it's so simple & I'm certainly not the most technically minded

Mercedes55 Sun 08-Jul-18 11:10:41

I find it cheaper to download individual songs I like and copy and burn them to a CD so I can listen to them in the car too as well as through lots of other devices.
I've got Alexa but I don't like the idea of paying every month for Amazon Music, but I listen to the radio on that every day.

JaneD3 Sun 08-Jul-18 11:18:58

I use iTunes on the computer to load my own CDs and occasionally download tracks. Then I can make compilation playlists and download them or whole CDs to my phone. That bluetooths to the car and connects to speakers in the house. Wonderful BUT following an upgrade, I can’t add any more music to my phone this way. So frustrating - Apple trying to make more money I think. Anyone else had this problem?

kittylester Sun 08-Jul-18 11:29:50

We looked at a new car recently that didn't have a cd player!shock

It was the quizzical look on the very young salesman's face that made us think we had better find out what we would need to do. He offered to teach us if we bought the car!?

maryeliza54 Sun 08-Jul-18 11:36:24

hen you don't really think you should be able to download music for free do you? The artists deserve to be paid if you are enjoying their music.

Fennel Sun 08-Jul-18 11:40:00

Jaycee I agree about youtube. And as someone else has said the sound on youtube, on a desktop, is much better than a phone etc.

Yorkshiregirl Sun 08-Jul-18 11:42:55

I use youtube. Just search for any song, and play it then you can "add" it to your own playlist and play your favourite songs again anytime

Jane10 Sun 08-Jul-18 11:55:06

I agree Maryeliza54. Its a sore point with me. A distant relative, helpfully and proudly told me of the website where he could download my books for nothing. It didnt seem to occur to him how someone might feel having their work taken in this way.
I suppose Spotify really makes its money by advertising though and may pay royalties themselves so listeners don't have to?

maryeliza54 Sun 08-Jul-18 12:15:28

Jane my understanding of Spotify is that on the free version you don’t download, you listen and yes I think you’re right, the advert revenue must cover the royalties payable for listening. On the premium version where you pay a monthly sub then you do download and the artists obviously get royalties. I think this is how it works

kittylester Sun 08-Jul-18 12:44:57

We pay a monthly fee to Spotify. It seems wrong not to!

OldMeg Sun 08-Jul-18 13:32:46

If you just want to listen to music of your choice get an Alexa. I’m not sure how it works but I just say ‘Alexa..play Rock Around the Clock’ or Alexa play Bach’s prelude in C major’ and it does just that. Or I can say ‘Alexa play The Sex Pistols greatest hits’ and it play the whole album and if I don’t like one particular track I say ‘Alexa skip’.

It will also play radio station and I can ask it the latest news.

What’s not to like. So simple.

Mercedes55 Sun 08-Jul-18 13:46:08

OldMeg I think you have to subscribe to Amazon Music to be able to do that. I had a month's free trial and didn't feel I used it enough to warrant paying a monthly fee. The radio stations are free though smile

OldMeg Sun 08-Jul-18 13:47:58

I do have an Amazon Prime account Mercedes

OldMeg Sun 08-Jul-18 13:50:00

I do have an Amazon Prime account Mercedes If you want to use it across multiple devices and you're a Prime member, it'll cost you only £7.99 per month (non-Prime price £9.99) – so for Prime members, it's cheaper than Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal.

kittylester Sun 08-Jul-18 13:53:12

How many users/devices can you use for Amazon, OldMeg?

mimiro Sun 08-Jul-18 14:08:13

in the states we can load a youtube videos onto a converter(youtube has a few)then put on mp3 player or usb or disk.
some are liscensced to pay others are freeware depends on the artist.older stuff is usually free.access.
for one time listens i attach speaker to headphone jack on laptop.speakers are very cheap on ebay or amazon.earphone jack is universal.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-pnZoXNsYk

OldMeg Sun 08-Jul-18 14:10:04

I can play music on my PC, my iPad, my TV and my Alexa kitty. Probably on an iPhone if I had one and one a laptop ditto.

OldMeg Sun 08-Jul-18 14:10:40

That’s Amazon Music Kitty

Juliet27 Sun 08-Jul-18 15:54:40

Jane10 - I'm so glad I carried on reading this thread and noticed you mentioned the Gone Fishing programme. I've just watched the first episode on my iPad and will definitely be watching the rest. Wonderful!

kittylester Sun 08-Jul-18 15:57:59

I realised that but how many different users can you have? I think we can have 5 different accounts on our Spotify sub.

We looked at Amazon but their library wasn't as extensive at Spotify. DH loves very up to minute modern jazz and it wasn't available. However, when Amazon gets the football he will have a big dilemma!

Purpledaffodil Sun 08-Jul-18 16:28:43

I use Amazon as it comes with Amazon Prime. I know Amazon are controversial because of income tax, but I do get a lot of use out of Prime.
Also if you buy a cd on Amazon, you get the music to download and also have the physical cd which is handy for the car!

pollyperkins Sun 08-Jul-18 16:35:09

Well I'm another dinosaur too then. Still play cds and vinyl. I do sometimes google a piece of music on tbe laptop or ipad and if it comes up with you tube play it there. But haven't downloaded anything. All this talk of spotify, shazam and alexa just confuse me.
You could google 'music from Gone fishing' and find out what it is then order a cd from amazon. That's what I'd do! Quite technical enough for me!

paddyann Sun 08-Jul-18 16:45:10

I always buy the cd's when we see an artist live ,it really irritates me that people are happy to copy other folks work and not give a fig about copyright laws .We used to have some problems with photography too,there are always some who think its their right to have what you've produced and not pay for it.They seem to "forget" thats how you make your living.We've had people print images that are watermarked for security and have them on display in their homes when we've delivered their official order.

Catterygirl Mon 09-Jul-18 00:04:29

It's all become such a headache. Can't be bothered but have You tube, Spotify and SoundHound but rarely use them.