Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why do men leave the seat up & other annoying habits?

(122 Posts)
NanKate Tue 17-Jul-18 20:15:52

Whilst on holiday and using the public loos I keep finding the seat left up ?

Any other annoying habits to add to the list?

GabriellaG Wed 18-Jul-18 20:08:46

If the lid is not put down when flushing the loo, the bacteria laden spray reaches to approximately 5ft in each direction, each side, front and upwards.

ebayqueen Wed 18-Jul-18 19:29:15

As I always say to people who leave them up ,so why are they made with lids in the first place if they are meant to be left up.

pollyperkins Wed 18-Jul-18 18:55:04

I doubt it. The key thing is washing hands properly after loo and before eating !

Lazigirl Wed 18-Jul-18 18:43:21

I wonder if the toilet seat "closers" have fewer infections than the toilet seat "uppers" hmm

pollyperkins Wed 18-Jul-18 18:37:25

Ah but DH always puts seat and lid down -I leave lid up at night and in the dark in the middle of the night half asleep I have sat on lid by mistake (but realised before doing anything else!) I get fed up with having to bend down and open the lid! He says he can't win. He's much fussier than me about many things.

Legs55 Wed 18-Jul-18 17:47:53

callgirl1 mine too, I have a raised toilet seat & as there is only me & the cat (I'm sure he has no opinion at all) my seat & lid stay up all the time. Toothbrush is at the other side of my wet room. As for public toilets, I always use hand gel not soap & water as I'm allergic to many soaps. Hate to think what's on the flush & door handleshmm

My late DH was very good at putting the seat down but couldn't understand why he also needed to put the lid down. Step-son had a dreadful aimgrin

lizzypopbottle Wed 18-Jul-18 17:44:26

If the seat's up, he hasn't peed on it. That's good.

gmelon Wed 18-Jul-18 17:18:43

caocao And shall I open the can of worms which is the main door to exit the loos - these apparently are dirtier than the average toilet bowl thanks to all the non hand washers and need to be negotiated very carefully

Oh yes the toilet door, that's why elbows were invented.Not just on exit, you've got to get in the blasted place first.

Theres the use a piece of tissue option.
Or wait for someone to come in or out and make a dash for it, stopping the door with your foot.
I used to be pretty nifty at this in my fitter days.

Nitpick48 Wed 18-Jul-18 17:11:58

While there may be some academic discussion about how far water droplets from your toilet spray when you flush (two feet to twenty feet) there is an average consensus that the outer reaches of your faecal shower (minuscule particles of poo) are six feet or less. Still, for most of us our toothbrush resides within that six-foot radius. THAT is why we have a lid!

Barmeyoldbat Wed 18-Jul-18 17:05:40

I hate going into a public loo and finding the cover down, I just dread lifting it because of what I might find. Say that don't have a problem in our house, my OH has a kidney problem and has been advised to sit when doing a wee. So seat is always down.

callgirl1 Wed 18-Jul-18 17:05:26

Can`t put the lid down on ours, unfortunately, because we have a raised toilet seat, but the toothbrushes are on the window ledge at the opposite end of the bathroom.

nannypiano Wed 18-Jul-18 17:04:12

I can't bare to see toilet lids left up. If and when I look at houses on Rightmove and the toilet lid is left up in the photos, it puts me off the property totally. Probably a bit extreme. I presume the photos were taken by men after a sneaky pee. If it were my house they were advertising I would be moving to another agent.

Nanny41 Wed 18-Jul-18 16:56:53

Lid down in the middle of the night, when not putting light on is a nuisance, also the seat left up when hubby has been is a pain, he doesnt do it so often thank goodness.In public toilets I always take a piece of toilet paper if I have to put the lid up or down, and when I flush, who knows who has flushed before me, before washing hands of course, shudder to think!

GrandmaCornwall Wed 18-Jul-18 16:51:48

My DH also leaves the empty roll on the windowsill when our bin is under the cistern handle ! I have taught my youngest grandson the refil the toilet roll holder and dispose of the empty roll. A good life skill for a four year old.

Grannyguitar Wed 18-Jul-18 16:27:47

Putting the lid down doesn't stop the 'pee spray' when you flush. The damp air just rushes out of the sides instead, and at a faster rate because it has been restricted to a smaller area. So it goes further!
As to the sprinkle problem, I used to laugh at the verse "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweetie, wipe the seatie" Little things please little minds!

granto3 Wed 18-Jul-18 15:48:27

Definitely down!! I had the misfortune one night a long time ago of getting up to the toilet in the middle of the night (I never put light on) and nearly fell down the loo because my hubby forgot to put the seat back down. I screamed and he came running through to see what all the fuss was about..... when I told him he just stood outside the bathroom door laughing!! Wasn't funny at the time, but I can see the funny side now.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Jul-18 15:43:03

Husband now puts seat down and closes lid - reason being he had left seat up in our en-suite, me very pregnant needed a wee in the night didn't put the light on and fell in loo, Husband had to pull me out!!!!

Rufus2 Wed 18-Jul-18 15:23:20

thought gransnet must have dealt with every moan on the planet - but nooooo

Muddynails; It's past midnight here again, but just as well I'm a night-owl.
Not sure where you are coming from, but if my guess is right, then I'm with you.
I'm currently hatching a cunning plan to counter the bodily-function obsessions. More "functions" are still waiting in the wings! sad
A new Forum titled; "GripesNet" could siphon off all "no-hopers" moans.
It's still a work in progress! grin
Good Health

Deedaa Wed 18-Jul-18 15:12:59

Our tooth brushes sit in a pot behind the cistern, therefore the lid is down before we flush. Also we have cats!

nannyof4 Wed 18-Jul-18 15:11:09

We have 2 toilets mines upstairs as i am more mobile tha OH and hes is downstairs,although i clean both and he always puts the lid down which is good.But he emptys the loo roll and leaves it on the side and theres a bin for it.

muddynails Wed 18-Jul-18 14:58:28

I thought gransnet must have dealt with every moan on the planet - but nooooo

sassenach512 Wed 18-Jul-18 14:47:34

If I have to use a public toilet, I always put toilet tissue on the seat before I sit down and use a bit of tissue to flush and open the exit door.
My DH has the frustrating habit of leaving the last couple of squares of tissue on the toilet roll holder and standing the new roll next to it on the radiator. His excuse is: "well it's not finished yet" !
...and they think women are unfathomable confused

Nanny27 Wed 18-Jul-18 14:33:23

Our downstairs loo is right opposite the front door. I have a regular visitor who not only leaves the lid up but also leaves the door wide open for all to see. No matter how often I shut the door and pointedly put the lid down she appears oblivious. Upstairs is the same but at least it can’t be seen from the street. Anyone got any ideas before I go completely mad?

4allweknow Wed 18-Jul-18 14:21:55

Have twin sons (now grown up). When very small husband took them to toilet to demonstrate how to per standing up. Midst demo sons put hands out to catch the "waterfall. Next endeavour was caught both if them in toilet trying to see who could aim the highest. Thought you would enjoy the toilet training antics never mind the seat up or down lark.

stella1949 Wed 18-Jul-18 14:12:55

At our place we have our own toilets. His is much more ritzy than mine, with his beloved electronic bidet and soft close seat and lid. He keeps it immaculate. I'm sure he always puts both seat and lid down. No wonder I married him .