Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would you do?

(121 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Jul-18 16:52:32

As you all probably already know, we would love to get Gransnet on everyone's radar. We think it's amazing (grin) and would love to reach more people to share it with them too... And from a business, we-need-to-keep-the-site-going point of view, we need to keep growing. So, we wanted to ask your opinion. How should we spread the word? How do we reach people who don't already know about Gransnet but who would really enjoy it if they did?

MamaCaz Wed 18-Jul-18 23:05:16

It was my DiL, a Mumsnet user, who told me about Gransnet. So there you are - find a way of persuading all Mumsnetters to recommend it to their mums or MiLs grin

kittylester Thu 19-Jul-18 06:19:57

That seems a logical step Mamacaz

travelsafar Thu 19-Jul-18 06:51:50

I just googled forums for older people and GN popped up.

Marydoll Thu 19-Jul-18 06:52:50

I too came across Gransnett by accident when I was googling something else.
However, I wouldn't dream of telling my friends I was a member, only my husband knows this.
Also, I like the anonymity, as it's a place to let out all my frustrations, when I'm in pain and know that I will be sure of support. My friends don't really know how chronic my health conditions are, no-one wants to listen to someone moaning all the time and I certainly don't want to waste our time together.
Much to my surprise and delight) I've made some new friends ( and probably annoyed a few people into the bargain), The Edinburgh grans are so welcoming.
Also, I love reading the variety of threads on different subjects.
I suspect GN is a lifeline for many people who are lonely and have little human contact.
The suggestion of a highlighting GN on "Loose Woman " , "This morning" etc. is a good suggestion.
As for being irrelevant to people who do not lead full lives, I can assure you that my problem is that my life is so busy, that I'm having trouble fitting in GN.

harrigran Thu 19-Jul-18 08:06:09

I am not convinced using day time television to promote GN would increase members. I do not know anyone that watches the programmes suggested.
I read about GN in a newspaper article just as it was about to be launched so have been here from the beginning.

sodapop Thu 19-Jul-18 08:16:01

I found GN in the same way travelasfar . There seems to be a bit of an assumption that GN is for women only, I think this should be rectified.
I understand the view of other posters that they don't want to be recognised, but GN does need more members to keep it alive and interesting.

seacliff Thu 19-Jul-18 08:26:59

Yes, there seen to be a lot less active posters here than a few years ago.

The realisation that everything we post is in the public domain, including Facebook and the press, put a lot of people off.

There may be lots of lurkers who won't risk posting now, people like their privacy. I don't know what the answer is.

Happyscotlass Thu 19-Jul-18 10:05:15

I wonder whether my posts are being read!!!! I love both gransnet and mumsnet.

Molly10 Thu 19-Jul-18 10:05:36

It really depends on the main reasons you want more people on here to know how to target the right area.

I think I came upon Gransnet via a link on a connected site. I obviously liked it as I read bits daily and occasionally post. It helps that I get a daily email which I link in to get the hot topics. I probably wouldn't come on daily if I didn't receive the e-mail.

Remember we can lead a horse to water but we can't make it drink.

Ph1lomena Thu 19-Jul-18 10:05:46

I tend to still flit between Mumsnet and here without feeling I really belong in either camp. I know there are other non Grandparents here, same as there are now non parents on Mumsnet, but I still feel a bit out of it here because I am unlikely to be a Grandparent (2 adult DDs with severe health or disability/MH issues). Could there be more promotion of the fact that the site isn't just for Grandparents?

Matelda Thu 19-Jul-18 10:26:07

I’m sorry if this sounds really stupid, but I might post more if I understood the abbreviations, lots of them beginning with D. Some of them are obvious, and some of them I just can’t figure out. I check in every day, but the site does seem a bit clique-y and I should like to feel more at home here.

Missfoodlove Thu 19-Jul-18 10:30:19

Instagram is a great medium. The Gransnet page is a bit lacklustre with few followers!
Pep it up with some videos, stories, make up demos, reviews etc.
I would love quick tutorials, eg how to apply under eye concealer, easy up styles, fashion tips etc.
Follow and use “ influencers” and don’t assume we all want ads for incontinence products and will writing!

HAZBEEN Thu 19-Jul-18 10:44:22

I found GN through a competition website and originally joined to enter comps! Then I started reading posts and "lurking" in the background until something was posted I felt I needed to comment on. I have long since given up the competition sites but feel I have made a few friends here and the support I have had has been a comfort when I was in need.

Brigidsdaughter Thu 19-Jul-18 10:47:49

Tricky one this. I struggled advertising a club a while back.

I found Gransnet via Mumsnet and rarely go back there now.

Sponsored TWEET? Ditto on FACEBOOK? At least you'd be getting to those online.

Sonething in U3A annual mag?

Email to all current members with a link to send on?

LuckyFour Thu 19-Jul-18 10:49:46

Can't remember how I found Gnet but I enjoy reading it on a mostly daily basis, and occasionally I post some comment. I have mentioned it to my sister and others but they don't seem interested. Some people are just not curious or interested in others.

schnackie Thu 19-Jul-18 10:51:49

I can't remember how I found GN, only that soon after I became a GM for the first time, I excitedly joined. It has been so helpful on so many topics, that I have referred some of my friends (my age) who do not have GC to join. Don't know if they did, but it's a great place to let off steam about older parents etc. In fact, I reference it so often, when I start a story my daughter will often say "Is this from the grandmothers?" I agree with trying to get on Loose Women or Jeremy Vine.

Gagagran Thu 19-Jul-18 11:00:52

I read about the iste in the Daily Telegraph just as it was launched and joined then. I like the anonymity of it and enjoy the feeling of having a connection with so many of the regulars.

Is this being cliquey? I don't think so. We are all more comfortable and at ease with people we "know" even if it is virtual knowing and not in real life. Obviously the site won't suit all who try it and there have been many who have come and then gone over the years.

Personally I am happy with GN as it is and do not want to see an influx of newcomers who often seem keen to change things as they are. I know, I know - that makes me an old stick in the mud. Well, I like my mud!

Gagagran Thu 19-Jul-18 11:01:34

site not iste

Humbertbear Thu 19-Jul-18 11:02:35

Advertise through U3A

JackyB Thu 19-Jul-18 11:14:13

I heard about it on Woman's Hour. Now if someone on the Archers mentioned it, we probably would be inundated.

Sorepinkie Thu 19-Jul-18 11:21:30

what about FB - social media gets to most people these days!

libra10 Thu 19-Jul-18 11:23:02

I found my way here several years ago when entering a competition. Never looked back since! Competitions do seem to be a good way of promoting the site, as they are so popular these days.

Social media, such as Facebook and Twitter are also great ways of finding new websites.

Another idea is the forum layout, I find it quite unclear at times, and prefer the type of forum layout at Money Saving Expert, for example.
URL forums.moneysavingexpert.com/
Each section is clearly displayed, and you can easily subscribe to threads, receiving emails when someone posts to add comments.

Just ideas.

GabriellaG Thu 19-Jul-18 11:26:16

I found MN to be too full of ignorant mums with nothing to do but slag off other posters. Just another site which breeds incorrect info and, at best, another version of twitter.
It's inevitable that there will be cliques within these spaces and newbies may feel 'outside the circle' if they see posts between the same names on a regular basis.
Some might find it hard to dip their toe in the water.
No matter how nice you are, there will always be some who chat behind your back or freeze you out.
That's life and you need to be able to deal with it.
I enjoy reading the various views expressed on here and I feel, for the most part, that we respect views other than our own, though we may not agree with any of it.
BTW, where do we find GN meet-ups?

GabriellaG Thu 19-Jul-18 11:34:47

I agree with others that, Loose Women, J Vine, Esther and Glo could prove invaluable in thecquest to spread the word.
I do know a couple of 'names' who live nearby and will ask them for ideas and input at our next PWRR meeting.
The question is: how big do we want it to grow?
At the moment it seems comfortable and club-like.

starbird Thu 19-Jul-18 11:38:38

If there were more active members, I think it would help to have a limit to the number of messages on a thread - with the option of starting a new one on the same subject. I personally tend to avoid the longer threads because I can’t read it all and it is so annoying for others if someone repeats or makes a point that is not relevant in the light of what has previously been said.