Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

DH's birthday - ideas please

(50 Posts)
kittylester Mon 23-Jul-18 07:32:49

It's DH birthday soon and I'm after ideas for small, cheaper presents.

His main present is a new speaker thingy and he wants some trainer socks - after that I'm stumped!!

grandMattie Tue 24-Jul-18 16:52:34

If he likes beer, a subscription to "BeerBods", which send you specific beers every week for 3/6/12 months...

Telly Tue 24-Jul-18 16:09:42

Afternoon tea voucher somewhere nice. I do that sometimes OH is pleased and I quite like it too!

HillyN Tue 24-Jul-18 16:07:13

How about a selection of 'retro' sweets (sherbet fountains, Love Hearts, Fry's chocolate cream, pineapple cubes, swizzle lollies etc) in a useful storage box that he can use when the sweets are gone. Actually I did see in a gift shop and (empty) tin with 'Man Stuff' on the lid- if you could find one you could fill that with sweets instead.

JaneD3 Tue 24-Jul-18 15:33:37

A new penknife or a sharpening stone?

Lovelykins47 Tue 24-Jul-18 15:28:26

Try T3 or Stuff magazines; all that gadget stuff that they love!

Hm999 Tue 24-Jul-18 14:29:35

'Grandad here to help you get into mischief you haven't thought of yet' T shirt from Amazon seems appropriate present from Gransnet

cc Tue 24-Jul-18 14:11:16

I bought my DH a small DAB radios with headphones a few years ago, he's seldom without it now and uses it all the time whilst he's working through my list of things to do! Its particularly good when sport is on in the middle of the night as he can listen without disturbing me. We can also use it in the car if we want to listen to different programmes.
This particular one is pocket sized and rechargable but that might take it outside your budget.

Overthehills Tue 24-Jul-18 14:03:56

Some great ideas here but I agree with others that DH has a drawer full of bits and pieces. Mine wanted “nothing” for his 70th but suggested people buy him a donation to their favourite charity.
What he got was books, giant spotty hankies, a new wallet, a coffee maker and a lovely big bottle of gin! And donations to charity. Win, win!

Nicky7of7 Tue 24-Jul-18 13:38:22

I bought my husband a weather station. It was a great success as he really loves it. My son loved it so much I had to buy him one too!

pollyperkins Tue 24-Jul-18 13:20:59

Stansgran my H has the same problem re shaving soap. He has the badger hair brush etc but hates using squirty foam. He scours likely shops to find some - Boots used to but no longer have any. . Our local chemist used to keep some in a drawer under the counter just for him but that supply has now dried up. Our sons think it's hilarious!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 24-Jul-18 13:18:12

A six pack of speciality beers?

pollyperkins Tue 24-Jul-18 13:17:08

Daisy that's lovely, if not helpful!

Stansgran Tue 24-Jul-18 12:52:48

DH has a bedside drawer full of quirky presents from past stocking fillers.ive now decided not to waste money on fun things which are looked at and left. He gets golf balls including choc ones and socks poor man and books . He has enough handkerchiefs to see him out but always needs as big presents golf lesssons and sweaters. Shaving soap is hard to find so he gets refills and he likes hand soap rather than stuff in a bottle. He also like Jura whisky if it can be found. Sorry kitty no help here.

Daisyboots Tue 24-Jul-18 12:52:44

After reading this thread I asked my DH what he would like for like for his birthday as it's his 70th next month. His reply was "you my dear" so not very helpful. One year I bought him 1 share in Harley Davidson as he has a Harley. That went down well.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 24-Jul-18 11:53:49

No help right now I know, but in the course of the year any time you either think of something DH needs or see something you know he would like, write it down in a notebook. This way at Christmas and birthdays you will have some ideas.

I write down what I need or would like too, as I can never think of anything when DH asks.

Oldwoman70 Tue 24-Jul-18 11:21:07

A friend recently got her DH a Big Bang Theory T shirt which had printed on it "I'm not crazy - my mother had be tested" and a "beer" hamper, basically a box of bottles of different types of beer which he had never tasted before - great success.

inishowen Tue 24-Jul-18 11:02:25

We don't do birthday presents as we have everything we need. Instead we stay one night at a lovely location and enjoy dinner and breakfast the next day. A treat for both of us.

libra10 Tue 24-Jul-18 10:32:43

An idea for people who love gardening (my husband). National Garden Centre vouchers. They can be spent at many garden centres, and bought in many values.

A favourite for my husband.

pollyperkins Tue 24-Jul-18 10:32:34

I enjoy doin g my colouring book but DH would be incredulous if I got him one! Wouldn't appeal at all. It's difficult to make suggestions when you dont know the man in question.
Jigsaw? Diy/gardening tools? I once got mine gardening gloves for a small extra present and they went down well.

4allweknow Tue 24-Jul-18 10:26:31

How about oneof those adult colouring books. Can concentrate for hours doing that. Great for wet days.

pollyperkins Tue 24-Jul-18 10:12:13

Of course it all depends on his interests. Small extra presents for mine usually include golf balls, socks, hankies, book tokens, music tokens (to buy CDs.) And beer/red wine.

pollyperkins Tue 24-Jul-18 10:10:00

Wind up torch is a good idea -my H has one and loves playing with it but it drives me nuts. Speaking of torches he has also got a head torch which he can strap to his forehead when going in the attic leaving him hands free. Looks hilarious but he's dead serious when he wears it.

grandMattie Tue 24-Jul-18 10:03:15

For his 60th I bought DH a tractor load of horse manure - he was thrilled. and it cost only £25! Perhaps you don't have to go that far but something like that. We also grew a tree for many life events - but perhaps you could give him a plant that he lusts after?

NudeJude Tue 24-Jul-18 09:58:20

How about a torch - wind up variety, sun screen for the car, new car mats if needed, bucket with new car wash sponge, car cleaning stuff, tyre black, car smelly thing, windscreen de-mister pad, you get the idea.

If he's into DIY at all, a selection of screws and nails always goes down well.

Would he do one of the adult colouring books?

Or if money's really tight, how about a voucher offering to do one or some of his chores?

All just small ideas or what I would refer to as stocking type presents.

Hope we've helped you come up with something.

MawBroon Tue 24-Jul-18 09:57:31

Imight send him up in a Hot Air Balloon next

Has he upset you recently Old Meg? gringrin