Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

DH's birthday - ideas please

(49 Posts)
kittylester Mon 23-Jul-18 07:32:49

It's DH birthday soon and I'm after ideas for small, cheaper presents.

His main present is a new speaker thingy and he wants some trainer socks - after that I'm stumped!!

gillybob Mon 23-Jul-18 08:02:39

My DH’s favourite gifts are trainer socks, books ( non fiction), real ale, chocolate, tee shirts, body sprays, bits for the garden and recently a mini bedside clock that shows the date, time and temperature . ( I often get a middle of the night temperature update hmm) His most favourite present of late was his Amazon Alexa, ( bought when on offer ) he uses it everyday .

tictac Mon 23-Jul-18 08:46:54

I have the same problem - he always says there is nothing he wants. I can't think of anything at all

Teetime Mon 23-Jul-18 08:53:16

I was going to say speaker thingy which is what mine had and some decent trainer/shoes as he only buys c**p ones.
As for small presents a quiz book, soduku book something for the brain, or something for the tum - food/chocs/etc, book, cinema tickets. Sorry I'm always stumped too.

seacliff Mon 23-Jul-18 08:55:49

A brewery tour?

Bathsheba Mon 23-Jul-18 09:04:29

My DH loves Sudoku, so a book of challenging puzzles always appeals. Does your DH like books he can dip into, pick up and put down? If so, what about one/some of these QI books
Or maybe a book of the history of your local area? You can see I'm all about books, can't you? smile.
Does he play golf or do any other outdoorsy things in colder weather? I bought my DH one of these handwarmers and he says it is brilliant! Actually not this particular model because that one is now "currently unavailable" on Amazon, but it's very similar.

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jul-18 09:09:17

www.thepresentfinder.co.uk/
I found this company good for bits and bobs.

KatyK Mon 23-Jul-18 10:05:38

My DH is a bit of a foodie. For Father's Day, DD bought one of those do it yourself wicker hampers. They come complete with straw, cellophane and a bow. You can get the kit for about £5 from The Card Factory or The Works I think. She filled it with jars/bottles of pickles, oils, jams, crackers etc. He loved it.

Gagagran Mon 23-Jul-18 10:20:45

It's my DH's birthday on 5 August and I have the same dilemma - he always says he doesn't want anything. He has had his new electric assist bike recently so said that can be his birthday present. I might add a bottle of Irish Whiskey which he likes occasionally.

My DD did a similar hamper to your DD's KatyK and that went down well here too.

KatyK Mon 23-Jul-18 10:31:44

It's a lovely idea Gaga If ever DH is asked what he would like he says 'get me a top' which is a bit annoying, especially since he has so many, some with the labels still on.

tanith Mon 23-Jul-18 11:33:06

OH and I decided that we wouldn’t ‘do’ Birthday/ Christmas presents for each other a couple of years ago. We put the money towards a trip/holiday or day out. This year we went to the IOW with his brothers and wives and for our joint birthday/anniversary as they are all in the same week we also spent a week in Norfolk with our daughter and some of the GC and Gt. GC we feel making memories for family is a better way than gifts that we really don’t need.

cornergran Mon 23-Jul-18 11:38:30

We’re the same Tanith, birthdays usually mean some sort of outing rather than a gift, although Mr C has enjoyed photography workshop days a time or two.

OldMeg Mon 23-Jul-18 11:42:00

I bought mine some golf lessons. He already plays, quite well (in his opinion) but wanted to improve his ‘swing’ (?) and other things.

Thought it was a great present.

OldMeg Mon 23-Jul-18 11:43:36

Another year I bought him a Clay Pigeon shooting lesson and once a flying lesson. There’s a great ‘drive a tank’ experience or I might send him up in a Hot Air Balloon next.

kittylester Mon 23-Jul-18 14:00:17

Thank you for all the good ideas.

His speaker thingy is his main present and that is costing our vague sort of limit. It's stocking fillers that I'm after. I've bought him some cocktail jelly sweets, trainer socks and I would like something else smallish.

I'm going to investigate MissAdventure's website.

suzied Mon 23-Jul-18 17:19:45

Stocking fillers? for a birthday? When did that happen?
We don't buy each other presents, preferring a holiday / meal/day out.

kittylester Mon 23-Jul-18 17:24:46

It was just an indication of the level of money I was hoping to spend.

We have always bought each other a main present and smaller bits and pieces.

We would gp out for a meal too usually but it's the first home game of the season so he's going for a meal with eldest son on the way!

annodomini Mon 23-Jul-18 17:26:24

The GCHQ Puzzle book! That will keep him bamboozled for years. Unless he is a Mensa style genius.

kittylester Mon 23-Jul-18 17:28:20

I bought one of those for Christmas - it's in his study, looking fairly pristine!!

Humbertbear Tue 24-Jul-18 07:40:48

We’ve all just about given up on DH as the house is littered with ‘unwanted’ gifts ranging from a framed print, books, CDs and an iPod (still in the box but now an antique).the most successful presents were a DashCam and a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer. You read it indoors but it is linked to its partner outside.

harrigran Tue 24-Jul-18 08:31:19

DH gets a book or two for his birthday, which is five days before C....... , gives him something to read on long winter nights. I don't get gifts, my choice, GN keeps me in reading matter grin

JudyT Tue 24-Jul-18 09:45:03

Golf balls and tees

jenni123 Tue 24-Jul-18 09:49:44

I do usually think of things to buy family/friends for birthdays etc but if I am really stumped then maybe an Amazon voucher or book token. I usually go for Amazon as you can get almost anything there including books.

Mapleleaf Tue 24-Jul-18 09:55:24

If your DH is anything like mine, kitty, he uses body spray like it's going out of fashion! ??We keep Avon in business, that's for sure!

MawBroon Tue 24-Jul-18 09:57:31

Imight send him up in a Hot Air Balloon next

Has he upset you recently Old Meg? gringrin