Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Autism

(85 Posts)
Lilypops Sun 05-Aug-18 22:39:21

I saw John Bishop "in conversation with Paddy McGuiness recently , get it on catch up t.v,, Paddy and his wife Christine have autistic 4year old twins, The way he talked about them and the way their lives have had to change was so inspiring , Paddy was in tears at one stage of the interview, but they say they love their children and just accept that the children are demanding, frustrating, but they have read a lot in to the illness and how best to deal with the children when they have a meltdown over something , I admire any parents in this situation , it must be so exhausting,

MiniMoon Sun 05-Aug-18 22:39:11

Hi Sielha. I too have autistic grandsons. There are three of them. The two eldest have been diagnosed, but the youngest age 5 is just going through the assessment process. They are lovely boys, and all different, with different interests. DGS 2 did not speak until he was 4. He's 8 now and although his speech isn't fluent he can make himself understood. Speech therapy has helped a lot.
There is a lot more help for children with autism now, so don't worry about your little boy, he will become his own person, and you'll love him for it.

cornergran Sun 05-Aug-18 22:30:34

You surely do have a lot in your plate sielha. It’s a positive thing that your daughter has realised her son isn’t perhaps developing as expected. There is a lot of advice, information and help out there, although you may need to hunt for it. Sometimes we just need to sit and regroup, no harm in that. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery and you a peaceful night.

gillybob Sun 05-Aug-18 22:09:01

Oops posted too soon . Meant to add that your grandson may be a little bit “different” ( no offence intended) to some other children if his age but I’m sure he will bring you all a huge amount of happiness .

A glass of wine might be just what the doctor ordered and might help you relax a bit . You seem to have a lot on your plate with your poorly DH too. Hope he recovers well x

gillybob Sun 05-Aug-18 22:04:24

Thinking if you and your family Sielha . Things never seem to get any easier do they ? I know very little about autism but I’m sure getting him seen by the right people early in just be a good thing

Sielha Sun 05-Aug-18 21:22:39

Thanks for the replies. Just feeling a bit vulnerable and having “ a moment”. I know I’ll get on with it, I always do but it helps to know that you’re not on your own.

Bopeep14 Sun 05-Aug-18 21:12:59

I have an autistic grandson and he’s wonderful, it doesn’t define who he is, it’s just a little part of him. Once you know for sure you can learn how to deal with it. I went on a course and it certainly helped. We grans do unfortunately carry on having problems, when life should be easier. I actually feel my life is more problematic now because there are more people in it to cause the problems.

Doodle Sun 05-Aug-18 21:06:10

Sorry. Hope your DH is on the mend soon.

Doodle Sun 05-Aug-18 21:05:07

Yup we do. Having said that, people have all sorts of problems not just autistic grandchildren. You never know what life is going to throw at you. However, I have an autistic GS and he is lovely. Life has been hard but he is fun, adorable and I love him to bits. Hard to do but don't fight your battles until you get to them. Having an autistic GC is not the end of the world. Get all the help you can, never give up on him and love him that's the best advice I can give. P.S. you will be amazed how many gransneters have autistic grandchildren.

Sielha Sun 05-Aug-18 20:56:07

Have posted before about this when my grandson was 8 months old. He is now 18 months old and showing very definite signs of autism (hand flapping, no language skills, walking on tiptoes). My daughter has today expressed her concerns and is going to seek medical advice this week. I am devastated but know that we must accept it if this is the case. I am worried though that we will not get a formal diagnosis until he is about 3 and everything I read says that the earlier you get help, the better the outcome. To add to this, my husband is in hospital recovering from a serious injury and I can’t share it with him for fear of hindering his recovery. Am sitting in the garden drinking wine and trying to deal with everything. Do most of us grans carry on having problems when we think life should be getting easier?!!!!